There should be no compensation for high ping players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PayBack View Post

Ohh man...its so tough...b-b-but ill try...

QC started here, with the weapons. They are so boring...nothing new...they dont even work, I cant hit what I am aiming at. Then QC...the monster...they added classes! I tried to say no, this isnt overwatch, but they kept on going, they wouldnt stop. They said I asked for it, its what the people wanted! WHO COULD HAVE WANTED THIS?! WHY?!
    Alright, that was funny. And I totally understand that you don't like it and that there are good reasons not do. But why the hate? You're constantly talking about QC like you're in some kind of love-hate relationship and pulling "facts" out of your butt, such as QC having no ping compensation or declining player numbers etc. Just say "Well there's this new game, and I don't like it very much, here are some of the reasons. That's why I like UT better." But that constant bashing is, hm, odd. (Still, I agree that the netcode of QC has serious issues and it's not too helpful to compare QC and UT, one being in Beta and one in Pre-Alpha.)

Comment

Originally posted by frustzwerg View Post

Alright, that was funny. And I totally understand that you don't like it and that there are good reasons not do. But why the hate? You're constantly talking about QC like you're in some kind of love-hate relationship and pulling "facts" out of your butt, such as QC having no ping compensation or declining player numbers etc. Just say "Well there's this new game, and I don't like it very much, here are some of the reasons. That's why I like UT better." But that constant bashing is, hm, odd. (Still, I agree that the netcode of QC has serious issues and it's not too helpful to compare QC and UT, one being in Beta and one in Pre-Alpha.)
      Ehh I dont hate quake, I just hate that everyone here seems to be using quake as the measuring stick lately. Honestly, the UT netcode is actually pretty good. Sure it still has problems, but the vast majority of things people complain about with the netcode are so minor compared to other more finished games. I feel like people just need a target now to be upset with. If the community doesnt have something to gather the pitch forks over and be upset about, they dont know what else to do. Compared to past builds with UT, i very rarely have no reg shots, its miles better. Sure the netcode doesnt work as well when you get above 100ms, but thats to be expected. But even then, 40ms in QC feels like 100ms in UT. When I "hate" on QC, its not to hate on QC, but its to get people to realize that UT isnt in bad of a shape as all the doom and gloom posters would have you think.
      PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by PayBack View Post

Ehh I dont hate quake, I just hate that everyone here seems to be using quake as the measuring stick lately. Honestly, the UT netcode is actually pretty good. Sure it still has problems, but the vast majority of things people complain about with the netcode are so minor compared to other more finished games. I feel like people just need a target now to be upset with. If the community doesnt have something to gather the pitch forks over and be upset about, they dont know what else to do. Compared to past builds with UT, i very rarely have no reg shots, its miles better. Sure the netcode doesnt work as well when you get above 100ms, but thats to be expected. But even then, 40ms in QC feels like 100ms in UT. When I "hate" on QC, its not to hate on QC, but its to get people to realize that UT isnt in bad of a shape as all the doom and gloom posters would have you think.
        Okay, that sounds reasonable. I'm still wondering, however, why you have to be so, I don't know, "populist" about it? Just state your opinion or facts, don't invent things that are evidently false. I quite get and share your frustration about the recent rise in "doom and gloom" threads and in many cases, comparisons with QC are not very useful or enlightening. But QC isn't as bad as you try to frame it, even the professionals seem to quite like it.

I agree btw, the recent netcode-fixes addressing hitreg massively improved the gameplay and overall "feeling" of UT.

But enough off-topic, thanks for your sincere replies!

Comment

The current model has no where near the sync issues it used to, but it's doing nothing for projectiles, which are the majority of fire modes in this game. Sure they are overpowered with huge collision, high rates of fire, and spammy easy to do damage, so it's hard to tell at times, but you basically still have to lead them, unlike their point and click counter parts.... and I mean for ping, not natural time to target. It also doesn't feel like you have to lead them for your ping, but the servers average ping for all players.

This could also have a lot to do with why people think rockets are too slow, as they aren't judging it by how hard they are to dodge, but how hard they are to hit with, when actually aiming singles. I have to imagine the only reason we are humoring ping compensation is due to most of the feedback being shooter absolute.
          Originally posted by Mysterial
          An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

I'm bumping this thread. Interesting and detailed discussion...

I have to side with the players that are against the pingcomp system. In my experience, it makes the flow of gameplay seem inconsistent. With gameplay that relies so heavily on timing, this makes for a frustrating experience. The hit detection feels more like RNG than skill based at the moment, especially with projectiles. That is a big no no for competitive afps.

I consistently score higher in matches where I connect over my smarthphones mobilie wifi hotspot than I do when I'm connected via my higher quality home connection. It should be the opposite.

Comment

Just got back on the game with a bunch of friends in Dubai - UAE, Canada and the US and it's been great for us averaging 50-250 between the gang using european servers. So far it's the best online experience we have experienced online in the UT franchise. We did have it good with UT3 via a private VPN hamachi but that was limited to 3 peeps before it went bad. Last week we did 8 player multiple sessions; which we would never have bothered before. So I guess lag comp and the fact the game is free and not as heavy on a GPU / CPU helps us. We are now a minimum of 6 regular new players in the realm

Comment

absolutely this have been issue in the past and many players with high ping had great benefits.

Comment

Working...
                X