Epic's Pre-alpha build to have an overlay on UI with a disclaimer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic's Pre-alpha build to have an overlay on UI with a disclaimer

I watched the live UT Team twitch feed, but wasn't able to post till now.

Epic's Pre-alpha build to have an overlay on UI with a disclaimer and possibly github commit version number.

This would make it easier for people to post screenshots /videos and for the general public who are viewing this to understand that this is not production quality.

Similar disclaimer as per the current splash screen.

That's actually a very good idea. While Jailbreak 200x was under development, we used a similar feature: At the bottom of the HUD there would be the player name and the Jailbreak build timestamp (i.e. the date and time when it was compiled) so it would always show up on screenshots. It wasn't the commit ID, as that's a bit tricky to do in UnrealScript using SVN for version control. But for the Unreal Engine something as simple as using the `git describe --always` output in the build process would do. (Though I guess some kind of fallback for source downloads would be needed.)
    <elmuerte> you shouldn't do all-nighters, it's a waste of time and effort
    <TNSe> nono
    <TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
    <Pfhoenix> what's worse is when you have a Star Wars moment
    <Pfhoenix> "Luke! I am your code!" "No! Impossible! It can't be!"
    <@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"

Comment

Could even add a message in a TransitionMap. I assume it's for loading screen purposes.

Comment

I agree that is a great suggestion.

Comment

Very good idea, simple and effective.
          UTLauncher - standalone Unreal Tournament server browser / Download / Github
          ut.rushbase.net - free community hosting for Unreal Tournament assets

Comment

I like the idea. This would definitely aid in preventing widespread misinformation about the game while it is in early development.
            Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Originally posted by laernut View Post
              I watched the live UT Team twitch feed, but wasn't able to post till now.

Epic's Pre-alpha build to have an overlay on UI with a disclaimer and possibly github commit version number.

This would make it easier for people to post screenshots /videos and for the general public who are viewing this to understand that this is not production quality.

Similar disclaimer as per the current splash screen.
              If its not possible to put the github commit, how about just the network version?

Currently we are at 8002, previous was 8001 and 8000 was first official build.

Comment

Working...
              X