Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turning a FPS into a better spectator sport.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning a FPS into a better spectator sport.

One of the biggest things I see come up is getting the first person shooter to be a better spectator sport. How can UT4 become a game that people want to watch? How to do this is not a simple feat. However, I believe it will require an advanced camera system to pull it off.

Here is a video a guy put together showing custom camera work. Imagine a camera system that turns every match into an action movie. Just think about how insane this would be if it was done right. Think about watching matches and seeing it play out in the same way you see on large motion pictures. People doing crazy stunts and getting mowed down, dodging bullets in slow motion, going ape **** on the entire map with a mounted mini gun. Imagine catching the expressions of peoples faces as they are killed in game, the music getting dramatic during tense moments. This **** would be insane.

These days every professional match is a first person angle of one person moving around super fast. Its totally impossible for most people to know what is going on much less understand why it was amazing.

Even if a camera system like this requires a person to help it make decisions it would be completely worth it.
    - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
    Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
    Twitter: @zZCastleZz

I agree, if they want to make the game appealing to watch on streams, there better be a nice and very extensive spectator "suite" or mode that can be switched on.

It could show certain stats at random intervals (people generally love numbers, stuff like accuracy, total shots, whatever is cool and interesting) in a certain area of the screen, and have several cinematic camera modes that also trigger randomly (or in a certain order).

Of course, this would mean that somebody would need to stream the game in that spectator mode to make use of it, on a second computer or in the background while playing, which might be rather resource intensive.
    Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

I do think it would be nice to have more than just 1st/3rd person camera anchored to the player.

I was thinking something similar for this game, but that video to me just looks like a random collection of action clips and over-the-top filmography. It would be nice maybe to have a context-sensitive camera that is aware of where the action and objectives are, being able able to switch views when it thinks it's best. Like an AI Director. To chuck some ideas out there:
      • (CTF) Switch to flag zone when enemy is near
      • (CTF) Switch to flag carrier, nearest chaser
      • Switch to kill streaker
      • Picture-In-Picture
        • Replays (Flag Carrier Kills)
        • End Of Spree
        • Suicide

Though it would take a bit of work for it to not be annoying, ideally it wouldnt replace classic spectator controls/views.

Comment

guys, look at this:
        https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...pectate-system

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
          I agree, if they want to make the game appealing to watch on streams, there better be a nice and very extensive spectator "suite" or mode that can be switched on.

It could show certain stats at random intervals (people generally love numbers, stuff like accuracy, total shots, whatever is cool and interesting) in a certain area of the screen, and have several cinematic camera modes that also trigger randomly (or in a certain order).

Of course, this would mean that somebody would need to stream the game in that spectator mode to make use of it, on a second computer or in the background while playing, which might be rather resource intensive.
          You have the two machines for the players in a 1 v 1 then one machine for the server then one machine as the spectator. If done correctly the only resource intensive aspect about this would be to have someone create a robust camera system that meets expectations.
          - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
          YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
          Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
          Twitter: @zZCastleZz

Comment

Take out the walls and FPS will be a better spectator sport.
            It's my theory for why no one watches paintball matches.

Comment

Making FPS spectator friendly has a lot of potential.

Like Archer said, people love numbers and showing stats is cool idea. There could be fixed bar that would show various stats all the time. This could be augmented by, e.g. "life-bar" over the player that is being attacked on the screen (could be turn on and off).

The streaming would also be couple of seconds or minutes delayed in relation to what the spectator see, so he would choose to play replays, ect.

There could be slow-motion camera following the projectile that killed a guy.

There could be also temporary wall-transparency, that spectator could turn on and peek around the corner when streaming from 1st person.

The spectator mode really deserves serious consideration now, so the maps can be created spectator friendly. Open maps seem more attractive to spectate, imo. There could be cameras installed on maps, like CCTV cams, that spectator could switch to - the stream quality would then deteriorate to imitate the CCTV camera (just for a 'feeling'), and it would connect the playes and watchers, as the playes would see CCTV camera moving to catch them on screen. There could be such cameras mounted on rails below the ceiling that would slide and follow action, or on open areas, even some drones. This would of course have to be tested if it doesnt interfere with the game, but i think it has a lot of potential and creates some link between players and community.

The "CCTV" cameras of course dont rule out normal 'free' spectating

Comment

Working...
              X