Is this game dead?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this game dead?

Many many months ago i accidentally found this while trying to look up old UT99 stuff since then ive been playing since it was first made available to play. But it seems to me this is not being developed quickly enough that people have forgotten about it? or the fact that its just simply not even being talked about by other gaming outlets makes me believe this is going the way of Dayz and will simply forever be stuck in the "pre alpha" phase and simply die a quiet death with no one really knowing about it. I mean ive seen and heard more about Quake whatever the **** it is more than this.

Where i live this game had a HUGE tight knit community and this was looking good to have that same feel of 99 which would attract that same group of people to play but im just not seeing anything on this at all when i google it hell there is legit ****** all people playing this whenever i look infact i see more people on the UT99 servers than i do this. When i google this the articles i seen where like a year old possibly older.

What im trying to get at is when and what is being done to get this game some quality attention out there and when could we possibly see a product that isnt just a pre alpha. Hell PUBG is pre alpha and is already streaks ahead of development with more publicity. Like is there plans to get twitch involved with the exposure of the game? are there social media drives? is there booths at games con etc?

Another thread about this.... Just look at the other topics about this and they have answers.

Comment

the threads ive found have no concrete answers or they arent even devs responding to them.

Comment

Basically, the developers made mind-boggling decisions that drove away true UT fans. The two remaining camps are either casual gamers that don't really care about gameplay or community developers hoping that the UT developers will eventually pull their heads out of their asses. What's troubling is that people are making full-blown maps around alpha game mechanics (movement). Although, I don't think they'll change the movement.
        Last edited by Calypto; 07-07-2017, 04:12 AM.
        UT2004 Movement Mutator

Comment

yeah i thought some patch or change had to have drove people away because this was a very popular game here when it first came out. Now im lucky to see 5 players a month if that. A roadmap would be nice like Square had for its revamp of ffxiv ARR

Comment

Not really. People realized the game didn't have any direction, so the hype died down. The most important aspect of the game, movement, is severely broken.
            UT2004 Movement Mutator

Comment

Originally posted by Calypto View Post
              Not really. People realized the game didn't have any direction, so the hype died down. The most important aspect of the game, movement, is severely broken.
              Hi,

at the time I play "Shadow Warrior 2" really funny game. But the most impressive on the game is the movement. if i had a free wish at the developers, bring this movement to UT4. ;-)

Comment

What you guys have to realize though is Epic has done zero marketing of this game on purpose, because its still alpha.

Once they get to a state where they want to introduce a larger player base into the game, all they have to do is a simple marketing campaign and thousands of new players will download the game.

Now if they did that right now more than likely those new players would not stay around, just like they aren't right now. So we must wait until the game is further along.

Comment

ness 710 summed it up. Game is not being marketed because it's not ready for that yet.
                  "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                  - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Please stop it, there are maybe 10 people working on the game and they are doing a very good job imo

Comment

Originally posted by ness 710 View Post
                      What you guys have to realize though is Epic has done zero marketing of this game on purpose, because its still alpha.
                      They have done marketing, though. They just had a huge spot on PC Gamer back in September.

http://www.pcgamer.com/its-time-to-p...al-tournament/

And maybe we shouldn't even get into prior to that but there have been dozens of articles at dozens of sites regarding the game. Some even invited people to come and try it out.
                      Originally posted by riky rice View Post
                      Please stop it, there are maybe 10 people working on the game and they are doing a very good job imo
                      I don't think there are 10 people working on the game full-time at this point.
                      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                        Cannot even imagine how much money and resources Epic spent with Paragon and Fortnite
                        Maybe when Fortnite will release UT will get the attention it deserves from Epic

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                          They have done marketing, though. They just had a huge spot on PC Gamer back in September.

http://www.pcgamer.com/its-time-to-p...al-tournament/

And maybe we shouldn't even get into prior to that but there have been dozens of articles at dozens of sites regarding the game. Some even invited people to come and try it out.

Exactly. No amount of marketing can make a game fun. UT99 gets no marketing yet people are still around. UT2004 too. People stopped playing UT4 because the game clearly isn't a UT game.
                          UT2004 Movement Mutator

Comment

Cant...Roll...My...Eyes...Hard...Enough...!!!
                            PayBack
                            Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
                            Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
                            UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
                            UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

Originally posted by Rampag3 View Post
                              the threads ive found have no concrete answers or they arent even devs responding to them.
                              You've clearly didn't bother looking through the forums, it just took a few pages to see this from mangley from topic "I'm sadden this game will not come close to beta this year or the next"

"It's important to keep things in perspective and remind ourselves that the public never sees big games in this stage of development and that development is a slow process. It's common for development of games to take many years, and you will not see or hear anything about the game until it is 6 months away from being ready to ship - in a feature complete state and ready to be demonstrated to people in a controlled environment.

For some comparable examples:

Call of Duty titles take 3 years to be developed, even with a large development team and recycling a significant amount of tech and assets from the previous CoD title from each studio. But they do not announce the title until 6 months before release.

Overwatch was a 2 year rework of a Blizzard project called "Titan" that was stuck in development for 7 years and cancelled, again with a large development team.

In contrast to these UT has a small development team and everything is being built from the ground up. Anything that has been re-used from past titles is placeholder art. The UT team is small because in pre-alpha / pre-production it makes no sense to assign a large development team to the project until it has a solid direction - a complete vision and working feature set and infrastructure for the game ready for that larger team to work with and build on top of. This is exactly why the project is open for us to scrutinize and contribute to, to help find the right direction for the game.

It's not a complete product, not even close, so try not to compare it to others. There is literally nothing else to compare it to."

Comment

Working...
                              X