Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
    I'll be honest, I don't think it's the worst thing for them to stop providing regular builds or even engaging with the community at this point. But they should stop acting like the community has some big influence on the game.
    that's a fair point. i'm not terribly involved myself but this game doesn't seem to have any more or any less contributions from the community than other UT games. i'm okay with that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Bubbaxm2 View Post
    No assuming here. It's like a big family, when they are heading into a launch it's all hands on deck so of course some from the UT team would be helping out. I was down there last month for a visit, on a Sunday, and people were there just working away getting things ready for the launch. That doesn't mean that work has stopped on UT though, just means they are grinding away to move the game along and right now may not be the right time to push things to GitHub or throw a bunch of communication out there. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.....
    Maybe you're right, but it doesn't make any sense if it's true. The Github copy was automatic, nobody sat there and managed it. If that was intentionally turned off, that tells us everything we need to know about where things are right now. The lack of any communication at all (even a "we're all hands on deck on Fortnite") and the lack of Github updates suggests that they are continuing to move further away from engaging with the community.

I'll be honest, I don't think it's the worst thing for them to stop providing regular builds or even engaging with the community at this point. But they should stop acting like the community has some big influence on the game. It's not any different than an average Early Access game where most of what the community talks about and wants is ignored, bug fixes are taken, and eventually it turns into the game that Epic business people want. Seeing as the processes for Fortnite and Paragon have been more or less the same, there is no reason to think that Epic is going to change much in the development process of UT (if they do decide to pursue it in the long term).
    Last edited by Sir_Brizz; 08-01-2017, 11:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No assuming here. It's like a big family, when they are heading into a launch it's all hands on deck so of course some from the UT team would be helping out. I was down there last month for a visit, on a Sunday, and people were there just working away getting things ready for the launch. That doesn't mean that work has stopped on UT though, just means they are grinding away to move the game along and right now may not be the right time to push things to GitHub or throw a bunch of communication out there. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Drakir View Post

Thank you for clearing that up. I must've dismissed it as a theory because I didn't see any "UT developer" tag and missed the "Super moderator" title.
    There is nothing missed. Unless things have changed, I would assume Bubba is just guessing like everyone else. If Epic is working on the game, then they have stopped pushing changes to Github and have basically cut off all contact with the community. I don't know that that is a better scenario than just assuming they are all off the project for now.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's all right here. They also just recently moved to a new bigger work area. There is a big push to get the game further along so grinding it is....
    Thank you for clearing that up. I must've dismissed it as a theory because I didn't see any "UT developer" tag and missed the "Super moderator" title.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Some are helping out with the launch of Fortnite and the others are just grinding away at the game. No more, no less.
    It's all right here. They also just recently moved to a new bigger work area. There is a big push to get the game further along so grinding it is....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Drakir - exactly. It's just worrying that the dev team goes into total radio silence from time to time and they don't even communicate in a less than 140 character message to clear things up...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Am I the only one who finds the fact this three-page discussion about lack of communication didn't get any official response for a week a bit silly?
    As far as I know all we got was RZE's trolling message and our theories and guesses. Yet the solution that would dissipate any tension is just a "lol sorry guys we're on Fortnite" away.

Did I miss something? Is it clear for everyone else? I honestly can't fathom how this is possible.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ness 710 View Post
    Its all about how you say it though and a lot people around here have no filter and just say whatever they want. There's a difference between constructive criticism and just acting like your opinion is the right way and the only way.
    I don't necessarily disagree with this, however what you're seeing on the forums is the devolution of a community. I certainly don't think I always know best or have the best solutions, but since they don't matter it doesn't really matter in what manner they are presented.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It is true, regarding the charge of "negativity." It is a common thing in our society that anyone who doesn't say something nice is "complaining" and "negative." That goes across the board for everything. It is to the point now where no one can criticize anything without being branded with bad character. The people also demand that you "offer the perfect solution" if you decide to criticize. That's the just positivity nonsense aspect of pseudo-buddhism infecting our culture. Everything has to be happy, have a happy outcome, and no one can say anything sucks. Facebook is the all-time winner of this sort of thing. If you say anything sucks, the sheep gang up on you and say you are complaining, ask you to offer a solution, stop whining, stop ********, bla bla bla. That's how it is though... idiocracy is full blown.

If the developers aren't responding, it is probably because they have already made up their mind, and don't want to let people know what the decision is. I'm fine playing the game as it is.. let them keep it in alpha for another 5 years.. I'll still play it as long as there are people to play with online. The only people left bickering to one another are probably a few people that donated some code, or whatever else, and some fans who are doing the battle of ideas.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Right now, you're acting like your opinion is the right way and the only way. Either way, there's no point to constructive criticism when the developers won't even acknowledge it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Its all about how you say it though and a lot people around here have no filter and just say whatever they want. There's a difference between constructive criticism and just acting like your opinion is the right way and the only way.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Cunni View Post
    Wrong. Forum are not representative. Negative people tend to be much more motivated to post their thoughts.
    Thanks for your completely objective and well reasoned argument.

There are lots of forums that are filled with negativity but the general sentiment of the forums is positive and helpful. How does that happen? In application of Conway's Law, we would never imply that there would never be any negativity or toxicity on the forums, but that an engaged and communicative Epic would reduce the amount of negativity and toxicity on the forum and that the general sentiment here would be upbeat and positive.

These forums are a reflection of Epic's communication with the forums, and even more broadly this project, and I could point to the same type of issue on both the Paragon and Fortnite forums (both places Epic is far more active than here).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    "Negative people" aren't the only people that have complaints about anything. People who have complaints about something, however, are far more likely to voice them than those who have only complementary things to say. It stands to reason that if you have no complaints, you'd rather just spend your time enjoying the product or service.

I would argue that classifying anyone as a negative person is just dismissive. Attacking a persons character to discredit their feedback, when you disagree with it.

I would like to defend Epic, as my experiences with open dev have been pretty consistently bad, and it seems to attract all kinds of people that create a toxic environment, but the other thing that every one of my experiences has had in common is bad communication. It's almost as if the business side of things guarantees that there will be an "agenda" that the IP owners feel need to be hidden from it's clientele, and this project is no exception.

I don't understand how you can tap a "public" resource, and think you can get any use out of them without giving them the same direction and information on the project as anyone who is on the "official" team. It's like giving a group of your development team a different goal, and hoping they miss that goal, and hit yours, which is decidedly different. Either that, or they were hoping we would "want" aspects of this game in a way that fits the mold of what they think they "need" it to be, and were dead wrong.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wrong. Forum are not representative. Negative people tend to be much more motivated to post their thoughts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X