What is happening with this UT4 game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is happening with this UT4 game?

Ever since Epic Games released Fortnite, Paragon and Battle Breakers, and is developing SPYJINX, this game has gotten less updates. I think UT4 is slowly dying, or is it?

As for the fan community, any updates from Vehicle CTF, Assault the Base, Bombing Run and Domination game modes?

it's obvious, unfortunately.

Comment

I think DOM was being developed by a community member, but Epic has touched none of those game types.

Technically, the game can't die, because it never lived. Just a side boarded work in progress at the moment.
      Originally posted by Mysterial
      An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

1999-2004 we have fully charged UT2003-2004 (a lot of characters, modes, maps, vehicles, etc)
        2004-2007 we have fully charged UT3 (unique design whole game + lot of characters, modes, maps, vehicles, etc)
        now days
        2014-2017 we have THREE YEARS still PRE-alpha) 3,5 characters, 3,5 maps, no old modes, no vehicles and etc.,etc,etc

ps this is sad, but now we have not old-good EPIC, we have chinese game dev company for pink hipsters)
        Last edited by sunflowers12; 10-28-2017, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sunflowers12 View Post
          1999-2004 we have fully charged UT2003-2004 (a lot of characters, modes, maps, vehicles, etc)
          2004-2007 we have fully charged UT3 (unique design whole game + lot of characters, modes, maps, vehicles, etc)
          now days
          2014-2017 we have THREE YEARS still PRE-alpha) 3,5 characters, 3,5 maps, no old modes, no vehicles and etc.,etc,etc

ps this is sad, but now we have not old-good EPIC, we have chinese game dev company for pink hipsters)
          Those games had full development teams. Epic can't put a full team behind UT because the game is not profitable enough, it would be suicide for their business. Which is why you see the focus so much on Fortnite battle mode so they can finally turn a profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Zocom7 View Post
            Ever since Epic Games released Fortnite, Paragon and Battle Breakers, and is developing SPYJINX, this game has gotten less updates. I think UT4 is slowly dying, or is it?
            Development was paused back in late July/early August after the last update. The team was pulled off UT4 to work on the battle royale mode for Fortnite. A wise choice for Epic as that game is far more popular than this iteration UT ever was. We don't know when development for UT will continue. I have a feeling that with the holidays coming up we won't learn anything until next year. The game is not officially dead because there's really no reason to kill it off right now. My theory is they will probably try to rework the game to include microtransactions rather than kill it off. I doubt it would be difficult for them to do and it would make more financial sense than trying to do the marketplace.

As for the fan community, any updates from Vehicle CTF, Assault the Base, Bombing Run and Domination game modes?
            I think domination and assault were being worked on by the community but I'm unsure of the status. I know neither mode is considered complete. As far as the other two, there are no vehicles in game so VCTF is definitely not being worked on. And I don't believe bombing run was ever worked on either. The most popular community-driven gametype seems to be elimination AKA TAM from UT2004.

Comment

Dammit! This game better not be dead! I literally just found out about this by checking out Fortnite's Battle Royale on my buddy's PC.. I was pretty excited about it since it was free to play, but... Then this beauty grabbed my attention immediately. Why in the hell is that game getting all the attention over this project?!?! I played all the old Unreal Tournament games besides the 3rd and casually enjoyed them, but this version seems amazing so far for pre-alpha. Great mechanics! I want more! Please

Comment

I guess it's some small consolation that Project Nex (a UT-style indie game) recently announced a come-back after ~3 year hiatus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBObzFT-u_U

That being said, we're seeing overwhelming evidence that making *ANY* multiplayer shooter in the current market is just suicidal. Overwatch and PUBG have sucked all the air out of the room to a degree where almost nothing else can survive. Even ignoring AFPS, we've seen countless attempts meet with poor reception, including Gigantic, Amazing Eternals, and Lawbreakers, all the way back to OMD: Unchained and Battleborne.

If very casual-friendly, attractive games like those can't succeed in the current market, why should we believe a niche AFPS has any chance?

If I were trying to make a non-solo shooter at this point, I'd follow more of a Borderlands model of a 2-4 player co-op focus, since that allows you to have fun with your friends even if the larger community is dead. If it were possible to tack some PVP maps on to that as an afterthought, I'd do it in case it catches on or anyone gets any enjoyment out of it, but I wouldn't stake my project on the health of a PVP community that's unlikely to survive for more than 24 hours.

Comment

I think too many of these new titles are making compromises for population or revenue, that are antithetical to what they are making. The market has become pretty polarized, and I think it's gotta be one or the other. Hardcore, or mass market. No compromise. That was originally what I "hoped" this project set out to achieve by sourcing the crowd for content. Make that "hardcore afps" that wouldn't do well in mass market, and afford it by having the community pick up the extra work. Yet, this game is full of compromise. That, would be the only way I would think you could get that sound, harcore game play, and AAA content, and not have to worry about sales covering the spread, as the current conundrum is how do you find the resources to put AAA content behind a niche game?

At this point, I'd rather play something that looks like it's straight out of the early 2000's, as long as it plays that way too. Unfortunately, even these niche titles suffer from needing some form of surplus population for various reasons, so the AAA content becomes important.
                  Originally posted by Mysterial
                  An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

The only kind of shooter besides UT4 that I would like to see is something in the form of Planetside - a massive tactical shooter where thousands of players fight on a single map/continent.
                    Alas, Planetside is one and only, and despite its numereous flaws and company hiccups, it is still pretty popular - after 5 years after its initial release.

Anything else - Dooms, Quakes, Fortnite, Overwatch, etc, etc.... I don't really care.

Comment

I imagined new UT would be based on PBR graphics style, will have precision, skill-based gameplay, vulgar and sarcastic characters, that overall sharp metal-rubber-plastic-glass-linen look and feel, but instead it's moving to the trollish-cartoonish, family-friendly side, despite all the great initial concepts, like DM-Outpost23 and numerous Unreal/UT theme music tracks that radiate dirty determination, concentration and nostalgia of times and events that never were.

Listen to Dissolution,
                      Michiel van den Bos - Black Hole Sunscreen (Unreal Tournament),
                      Foregone Destruction (Phrakture Remix),
                      Nightvision (HQ) Remix,
                      Skyward Fire (Phrakture Remix),
                      Sun Daze (UT4 Concept Music),
                      Unreal Tournament 4 - Coreshaper,
                      Chasing Voids (Unreal Tournament 4 CTF-BigRock),
                      Timothy Seals - Prism Theory,
                      KR-Morpheus OST Unreal Tournament 2004,
                      KR Convoy - Unreal Tournament 2004 Soundtrack,
                      KR Corrugation Rise - Unreal Tournament 2004 Soundtrack,
                      Unreal - Hub 3 (SunSpire),
                      UT 2004 CBP Music: The Freek,
                      UT2004 CBP Music: Heritage,
                      UT2004 CBP Music: Serene,
                      UT2K4 CBP2 - Soeren - AOST,
                      and UT 2004 CBP Music: Sunkissed.

If these tracks don't reveal you how the physical incarnation of Unreal/UT universe should look like on Unreal Engine 4, check your pulse, you might be dead inside.
                      Last edited by Hayrack; 11-29-2017, 04:57 PM.

Comment

All those other games are failing because they made the fatal mistake of catering to a casual audience with what is inherently not a casual genre. It's not really a scenario unique to AFPS either. The entire gaming industry is tripping over itself in the mad dash to alienate actual players by chasing an imaginary future where every game somehow appeals to everyone without congealing into one generic slurry of ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Olaf. View Post
                          The only kind of shooter besides UT4 that I would like to see is something in the form of Planetside - a massive tactical shooter where thousands of players fight on a single map/continent.
                          Alas, Planetside is one and only, and despite its numereous flaws and company hiccups, it is still pretty popular - after 5 years after its initial release.
                          I would agree that Planetside 2 is an amazing game, but it's really not all that popular. Generally you won't find more than 3000 people online combined across all of the servers at a given time. Here's a link to a website that tracks the current PS2 population: http://ps2.fisu.pw/online/
                          UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Valorant and Fortnite Battle Royale killed Jazz Jackrabbit series, Unreal series, Unreal Tournament series and Unreal Championship series for good.
                            https://www.pcgamer.com/every-game-c...s-invested-in/ So sorry about deja vu and repeating myself over and over again. It seems they don't care to extract Unreal Tournament 4 assets and put it to Unreal Marketplace.

Comment

Hmmm...

I like this game a lot. but there is a steep learning curve to get good at it. This is a barrier to new players as they get beaten to a pulp and think there are cheaters.

I see new players entering the game and dropping out after a few minutes as they get bored of being killed.

I would suggest a newbie server and have training sessions for new players.

Let's see these god like players pass on some tips here or on a server.
                              quickpayportal

Comment

Working...
                              X