Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rate the computer specs

Hey there,

Here are my system specs, do you think I would notice any significant improvement by upgrading to a 1080ti card?
    Or, is this good enough for UT pre alpha? Would an upgraded type of ram help?
    I get 120fps stable. However, playing online as opposed to against the computer causes weird bugs like shock combos finishing without hearing the sound of the blast. Sometimes the game jumps ahead (you suddenly die without really experiencing the flow of events that lead up to it, a lag hiccup). It also happens where fps drops when there is lots of weapon effects activity. I tried lowest settings to rule that out, but the drop still happened. Any ideas?
    EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card
    MSI - Z97-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Intel - Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Corsair - Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3-2133 Memory
    EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Corsair - H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Last edited by N_Paganini; 11-23-2017, 02:35 PM.

Your computer is not far off mine - same CPU, RAM although I have a slightly different MSI motherboard - with a 1080. I still tend to play at low settings with some at high as they're good anyway and some graphics settings get in the way. Mostly I'll have 144 FPS constantly, although the high graphics maps like Chill or TitanPass don't achieve that. Some of the 24 player Blitz games drop below 144 too, but pretty much everything is over 100. The Ti is a better card so you might still get higher FPS anyway.

Those issues that you talk about are more likely to be your internet connection. It might be worth putting the netstats up and then using shadowplay / plays.tv to record moments when you get the incidents and see if you got a ping spike or packet loss. Then maybe you can narrow down the issue, e.g. use wired instead of wifi, a different router, a new ISP.
    Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Have the same cpu, mb, ram, but with a 1080 gtx as well.

What resolution and refresh rate do you guys run?

Comment

what resolution and refresh rate would you recommend for my set up?

Comment

Hey N_Paganini, if you want it you should go for it. I seen a nice improvement from a GTX 670 to a 1070 FE. The rest of your system looks strong to me, I could be wrong though.
          X58 i7 970 4.2GHz HT on, GTX 1070, 144Hz 1ms, 1080p in-game res.

Comment

Oh man if a video card would cure the symptoms of ping compensation, I'd buy two.
            Last edited by -AEnubis-; 11-23-2017, 09:05 PM.
            Originally posted by Mysterial
            An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

I've heard that some people have better results if they uncap the frame rate. How do I do this? My monitor is not a gaming monitor, so I imagine 60hz or 70hz is the highest it will go. Should I set vsync to "adaptive" mode? Is that option in the UT options menu, or the gpu settings elsewhere?

It seems to be the weapons effects activity that causes the frame rate drop. When I play matches against the computer like "player challenges," it doesn't lag at all and runs exceptionally smooth.

Comment

I have a wired connection to my cable modem. I am a bit far away though in eastern Canada so my ping is generally 90 - 100 to the Atlanta hub. The internet is decently fast though, I can download at 40 megabytes a second.

Comment

If you can get a higher Hz monitor AND a faster GPU.
                  X58 i7 970 4.2GHz HT on, GTX 1070, 144Hz 1ms, 1080p in-game res.

Comment

That's why you're getting stable 120fps is because of your refresh rate. I can hold 120fps @120hz and 1080 resolution most of the time, but get dips with high player counts in blitz matches. If I went to a higher resolution monitor it would be worse.

60hz gives me motion blur headaches/eye strain.

Comment

Sounds like latency caused by cpu usage. If you're getting high cpu usage on just one core it can do that even offline and it gets much worse online.

Comment

why would I get cpu usage issues with my processor and system? is that abnormal or not expected?

Comment

Because the game uses one thread/core far more heavily than others. It can be at 20-30% overall cpu usage but hitting 100% on one thread. I get it on a 6700K, around 70% it causes noticeable latency and the higher the usage goes the worse the latency gets.

Comment

Your CPU clock could use some increasing, IMO. UT is one game that loves CPU power. The difference using an i7 2600K at stock clocks of 3.8Ghz compared to using 4.6 Ghz was surprising and resulted in a much larger effect than expected.

The GTX980 cards are 256 bit. The GTX980ti is 384 bit card like the GTX780ti. There are many versions of these cards with different clocks. The 780ti Classified clocked at 1085Mhz performs about the same as the 980 SC, 1367 Mhz, in most games you can find benchmarks of. Unfortunately, there are no benchmarks using UT. The 980ti was significantly faster, ~15-20%, than the 780ti in my machine while it lasted, my 980ti died 3 months after the warrenty ran out, it was a factory refurbished item with only a 9 month warrenty. Yes, Gigabyte timed the warrenty period perfectly on the referbished card I got.

The GTX1080 has some very high clocks on the custom models, 1800-1936 Mhz, and should run at least as well or better than the 980ti custom cards, 1190-1291Mhz . But, your CPU will be the likely weak link with these cards unless your running with an i7 with a decent CPU overclock.

Online play also depends on your connection. Problems can be caused by your connection to the server, even with services such as fios. UT3 suffered from server lag even with relatively low pings.
                            My Rig- ASUS Z68, core I7 2600K @4.6Ghz and GTX980 Ti WindForce G1 as seen on my VG248 @144Hz
                            Weekly Warfare Matches every Fri-Sat Midnite-3:30am (US East Coast Time) GMT -5

Comment

Originally posted by N_Paganini View Post
                              Rate the computer specs
                              I rate it for KdZ+32.75, with an additional plus because it gets warm and cozy when you run it

P.S. Ratings are overrated

Comment

Working...
                              X