No announcement yet.

ut4 is canceled?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What we need is Unreal Tournament Battle Royale. Then the Devs could work on it and raise the funds needed to justify developing the rest of UT.
    I don't see why Epic would develop two games of the same genre. They have a good thing going with Fortnite and it would be in their best interest to not screw it up.

Comment

If development continues on UT4 I wonder if the success of FNBR will allow Epic to turn this UT back into what it's hardcore fans expect from it. Fortnite has captured a massive casual crowd, so maybe they don't feel as much need to inject this internal policy of "dumbing down" everything in UT, and can make it the game it's supposed to be with a more niche player-base in mind. Faster weapon switch, more precision with weapons and movement, perfect the classic game-types, make Elimination an official game-type, make some great maps, improve the UI, improve the ping comp/rewind or allow it to be disabled client side. It wouldn't take much to get the game back on track in that sense if it ever goes back into development. And any new concepts and content they come up with along the way would just be a bonus.

That's my hope, because I still think there is potential to make a successful game with a solid community based on what we already have with the right realignment.
      NoBrainsNoAims^ // nbna^
      My movies on YouTube:
      UT2k4: UT~]i[mmortalZ Part 1
      , Part 2 / UT~]i[mmortalZ 2 / UT Immortalz 3
      UT4: Rocket Jumping - Titan Pass

UT4: Frag Highlights #1 / #2 / #3 NEW

Comment

Fortnight BR blew up in a way that clearly caught Epic off-guard. It's making real money and there's a mad dash to capitalize on it. I don't blame them. Notice how they took the time to cancel Paragon, but in the same breath, didn't bother mentioning UT. If I had to guess, I'll say UT will just exist in limbo until Fortnight BR development stabilizes. I don't think it makes sense to cannibalize Fortnight BR with UT BR. The community can make mutators / maps for it, but Epic surely wouldn't. I don't think UT is dead, it's just frozen, ready to be thawed when it makes more sense to throw developers at it.

Comment

Yeah Fortnite is a major (and surprise) success. It is no wonder they're piling all the resource onto it.

I played Paragon about a year ago and it felt like I was playing through glue. Really slow and clunky movement and slow shooting - but I can see that would be needed to create a balance... but it was a fundamental flaw.

Fornite will need more development to a point, but then I think it'll need just new maps, weapons, tweaks. So, hopefully, we'll get our developers back at some point.

The only other thing to consider that UT4 is open source (Although we can't see the master server code), which does lead to the potential of the community taking over development. Although it'll be a bit of a job to manage and new control can always be worrying if it doesn't sit with your preferences, e.g. the whole double-dodge opinion splitter.
          Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Economics 1001:

The best thing EPIC did was to lower the entry-barrier to $0.00. The number of "indie" games being developed on the UE4 platform is impressive. The number that have, or can reasonably be
            expected to, achieve financial success is more than impressive. What's the revenue stream from PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds? A title with millions of players that EPIC had no investment into except for the Engine. Easy money.

Sociology 1001:

The best thing EPIC did was to provide free tutorials on how to maximise your use of the Engine. Add to that one of the the most comprehensive catalogs of documentation to be found anywhere, on anything.

Economics 2001:

UT is not a product based on profit. It is a product based on love. The rationale (which seems to be working) is that other revenue streams will allow the development of UT within the profit margin.

Sociology 2001:

Having a community invested in providing product for little (if any) financial reimbursement is a novel idea. The community is there. The community is trying. The community needs to learn patience.
            Last edited by darkskyabove; 01-31-2018, 06:12 PM. Reason: spelling
            No one sees what tomorrow knows.

Comment

MG-threepole footed clubs!
              GOod STUff HERe << http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...psf9ca6a75.png

Comment

UT4 is canceled. As now (at least for me and some thousands of other EU users) the login to Epic Fails* Launcher isn't possible, all art which referred to the EGL system as a launcher for multiple games has been made Fortnite-only.
                Also, a friend of mine who did kind of an internship at Epic some weeks ago told me, they talked about possibly renaming Epic Games Launcher to only "Fortnite Launcher"...
                We won't see Paragon ever again. We will see UT4 fall.

Don't hope Epic Games will do *anything* for the Unreal Tournament community ever again. They think that they've found the game to earn billions with and get as rich and large as e.g. Microsoft Game Studios, EA/DICE and others.... and will only focus on that single product until the very end.
                It was already clear this would happen as Epic lied to the Paragon community they'd e.g. bring a ranked mode but in January 2017 they transferred all but two devs from Paragon to Fortnite and since May 2017 all UT4 devs to Fortnite....

I'm just waiting for Epic to add a "Unreal Tournament (4) will end at [put a random date here]" article on their website and that they're announcing to change the name of their game launcher to "Fortnite launcher". It's what i expect and which most likely will happen.

*Games

Comment

welcome Calisto1994! Whilst waiting you can checkout some of these DM maps (& yes there's more);
                  DM-1on1-Serpentine-UT2004
                  DM-Agony-UT99_metal-1
                  DM-Apartment_aug2017
                  DM-AkBal
                  DM-Antalus
                  DM-Antiquus-Beta012
                  DM-Barricade-UT99_metal-1
                  DM-Biohazard-v13
                  DM-Blaster-v15
                  DM-BloodCovenant-02b
                  DM-Broken-v14
                  DM-Campgrounds-01j
                  DM-Cheops-UT4
                  DM-Cinder-v16
                  DM-Codex-UT99_metal-1
                  DM-Compressed
                  DM-Curse2-UT99_metal-1
                  DM-Curse
                  DM-DeepInside-v07
                  DM-Delta
                  DM-Eliminator-33
                  DM-Essence-UT99
                  DM-Fearless-v18
                  DM-Fervor_V8
                  DM-Fractal-UT99_metal-1
                  DM-Genku
                  DM-Goose-b1
                  DM-Gothic-UT99_metal-1
                  DM-Healpod-UT99_metal-1
                  DM-Highrise-v14
                  DM-HyperBlast-UT99_metal-1
                  DM-Idoma
                  DM-Ilarnek-UT2004
                  DM-KGalleon-UT99_metal-1
                  DM-KoosBarge-v14
                  DM-Liandri-UT99_metal-1
                  DM-Malevolence
                  DM-Midknight_V3
                  DM-Starcade_V2
                  DM-Mine-v14
                  DM-Mojo-UT99_metal-1
                  DM-MorbiasTest_UC
                  DM-Morpheus-UT99_metal-1
                  DM-Nine_N
                  DM-Nitro
                  DM-OB8
                  DM-Peak-UT99_metal-1
                  DM-Phobos
                  DM-Pilgrim_H2
                  DM-Protracted-WIP16
                  DM-Pure_vrc_3
                  DM-Pyre
                  dm-qwaerowalk-a009
                  DM-RGB_UC
                  DM-Rime-Alpha-III
                  DM-RisingSun-v16
                  DM-Roughinery
                  DM-Sempiternal-Beta013

DM-NorthernStorm-Beta011
                  DM-Haruspex-Beta006
                  DM-Shrapnel-v18
                  DM-SpaceNoxx_A4a
                  DM-Spirit-v22
                  DM-StalwartXL-UT99_metal-1
                  DM-SuperFantasmic-02c
                  DM-Talus-a7
                  DM-Tefnut-Alpha-V-03
                  DM-Tempest
                  DM-Tundra-U1_metal-1
                  DM-Turbine
                  DM-Viridian-v16
                  DM-Intercept-UNG
                  DM-Penetrated-UNG
                  DM-Q3DM17-UNG
                  DM-Sentinel-PRO3-UNG
                  DM-Training-UNG
                  DM-AncientLost
                  DM-Lost To Memory
                  DM-UntoldStorage

DM-DistantKeep
                  DM-1on1-Crash
                  DM-DE-Grendelkeep-UT2004
                  DM-Achilles-UT2004
                  DM-Morpheus v27
                  DM-Echo_b7
                  DM-Shipwreck-v05
                  DM-Roundabout

DM-Defiance-v09
                  DM-Containers_v2
                  DM-Whatever_B2
                  DM-Egress
                  DM-Pilsner-V2
                  DM-TechThis
                  DM-HadleysHope
                  DM-Hydraulics-v007a
                  DM-Conflux_a04
                  DM-SidCastle-v01
                  DM-Sand-v01
                  DM-Vortex-v01
                  DM-Zeto-UT99_metal-1
                  DM-Closer-UT99_metal-1
                  DM-Mozi-Test
                  DM-Ariza3
                  DM-amp-a23
                  DM-FX03
                  DM-BlackrockV11
                  DM-StationV1

DM-AtomSilo-BETA4
                  DM-Pipeline-WIP
                  DM-AlleyWay
                  DM-StoreUnit
                  DM-YellowArena3V1
                  DM-PentaMaze-WIP
                  DM-1v1-Shaft-b02
                  DM-EmberCastle
                  DM-RadV1
                  DM-FrayedDen
                  DM-latchiBasin3V1

Just copy/paste into search.
                  As for that errorcode=1041 I think you're referring to, you may want to check here and this might help you as well. Try doing a little homework of your own to gain a broader perspective.
                  The launcher works fine(for me), updated and landed on the UT page with launch looking good.

Comment

If what Calisto is saying is true then I'm deleting my Unreal account. I don't care for PUBG clones and they are killing arena shooters, a genre I would much rather play. Epic is garbage.

Comment

UT4 is not open source. Don't know how many times that needs to be said. The code has a very restrictive, proprietary license. The community won't be taking it over at any time, unless Epic alters the license drastically.

Also, I probably said this earlier in the thread or something but oh well:

There is absolutely no reason for Epic to cancel UT. It hasn't even really started development which several people here constantly remind us by beating the "#prealpha" drum. How can a game that isn't even started be canceled?

At this point, canceling just looks like a failure while not actively working on it looks like good common business sense. Which it is. This game will never make money and there is a 0% chance it will ever have the kind of player counts that Paragon got (an actually canceled game), let alone what Fortnite BR is pulling in. They lose no face by just leaving UT4 at the bottom of a random barrel until they perhaps decide to revisit it someday.

I know there are people at Epic that would like to keep progressing the game so maybe it will happen eventually by sheer force of will. All we can do is wait and see.
                      Last edited by Sir_Brizz; 03-07-2018, 02:10 AM.
                      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz
                        I know there are people at Epic that would like to keep progressing the game
                        After reading this thread about UT4 CTF PUGs, it sounds like some guys are "progressing the game" on their own, having modified the game play. It looks like someone's pushing the ball forward.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealtourn...nal_game_mode/

The UT4Pugs community has been working hard on creating a more balanced and enjoyable CTF experience in UT4. Olec/Phroxen started on this mutator and we have continued to improve on it. It removes and fixes a lot of the issues many of us have had with UT4s stock CTF experience. If you would like to try it out for yourself its hosted on UTPugs Dallas and UTPugs East HUBs. This is more than a mutator but rather a whole game type that is continuously being improved on and updated based on feedback given during and after CTF pugs.

Future Plans

-Add Team color based Shield/Armor glow.
                        -Improve scoring system to better reflect skill in position played.
                        -Further weapon balances and improvements.

UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Eh. Their changes are more QoL for #prealpha than any kind of real "progress." Last I heard (may have changed now) they weren't able to change projectile collisions, which is huge for like, half the guns, most of their changes lack any concern for continuity (ie: rockets decreasing in damage per with load), and as most of them have religious beliefs surrounding scans, it's going to be a while (if ever) until they are in any kind of balanced form. Some may even be straight biased, as last I saw the flak chunk cone was absurdly tight. Like, closer to slug than buckshot, tight.

Basically Epic has made most of the projectile weapons embarrassingly low skill ceiling, so they could even start to keep up with compensated scans, and their changes curb said projectiles without touching scans.
                          Last edited by nubizZz; 03-13-2018, 03:31 PM.
                          Originally posted by Mysterial
                          An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Terrible to see this so ignored. Would be nice to see a post from Epic or UT saying they are still on the UT game. Don't fret, Epic is still committed to UT.

Even an Mea Culpa saying Fortnite success is going to help the entire company and when things are at a good place at that game, they will redirect resources back to Unreal Tournament.... if only.

Silence is sad for an former tentpole title. Instead it is just a PR push.... for nothing anymore. does anyone even work on the title anymore?

Epic. Your alpha/beta community awaits ...

Comment

Its actually very well balanced right now, probably the most balanced UT weapons/armor has ever been., very enjoyable to play.
                              PayBack
                              Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
                              Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
                              UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
                              UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

UT4 is the best UT of the series, I'm playing this pre alpha for a month and I approve

Comment

Working...
                                X