No announcement yet.

ut4 is canceled?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And ignoring and driving away your fanbase is good for business? That would be the first time I would hear something like that.

Comment

Wrong angle. The game is free. I completely understand the confusion, but at the end of the day what's really going to do you the best is to actually try to start rationalizing why this makes sense, and not keep biasing your perspective by what you think you are owed or entitled to. Because you aren't entitled to anything.

Epic is a business, but was ready to take time away from doing business to pursue a passion project. As Brizz said, it's really about having nothing to gain from declaring the project dead, or defunct, and having nothing to lose by leaving it hanging. What they are doing is logically the right move, considering their position as a business, and this games status as a passion project.

The other reality is those of us who have been fans of UT for so long won't stop being fans because of any aspect of this project. Most of us would even give a new developer the benefit of some doubts if they sold the IP. Especially after the current state of this game, where Epic (albeit under some community pressure) is doing exactly what I would be afraid of another developer doing. Focusing on accessibility. At the very worse, we'll be watching from a short distance.

All the important stuff that made UT unique is gone in this project, and made even worse by the community weapons. This game is currently inferior to Quake in nearly every way. Not only does it now have low skill ceiling weapons like it's competitor, it also has the as always inferior armor system, less cohesive art style, and a movement system that is trying to be erratic, but giving into a flowier momentum driven style, which is mostly for show, due to the aforementioned weapons. We have alt fires, and the shock rifle, which on the surface are far more appealing to look at than they actually are to use at current.

In the mean time, QC, despite having the same core game play issues as any low skill ceiling game will have, is at least making the best of the accessibility with it's slew of badges, rewards, and cosmetics grind. Going for Humiliations, Midairs, and Combo kills is at least fun for those of us who don't care about being good at constantly restacking and only picking fights you know you can win, which is the same path UT was devolving to anyways, but plus the hitbox and netcode issues, which my only gripe in QC is playing a 120 ping sucks, but it's at least visually as consistent as a 60 ping in UT.

I wish QC had become free sooner, I probably would have transitioned sooner. I was nothing but toxic in UT servers anyways, and didn't even reinstall after a recent format.
      Last edited by nubizZz; 07-22-2018, 02:17 AM.
      Originally posted by Mysterial
      An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

It's not about me, or you. It's about the message Epic is sending to their comunity. You have your comunity... You are ignoring them and not comunicating... That means you don't care about it. And that's not making a great business. It is soooo easy to take a dump on everything else, when you have one good thing (Fortnite) but that makes you a **** company. On the other hand, look at Blizzard for example. They have multiple franchizes, and they care about all of them. Epic? They killed everything in favor of Fortnite. And sure, it's their company, they can do whatever they want, but people are the buyers and they lost a lot of them. Once the battle royale hype ends, what will they do? Ressurect one of their francizes? Well, people will for sure believe that this time it will work out...

Ignoring someone is bad for you in business... always.

By the way, QC was free always from bethesda launcher. It was payed just on steam. I am playing it for more than year now and thanks to developers actualy caring and doing a good job, I switched to Quake as my favourite
        Last edited by Spector CZ; 07-21-2018, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Who are they ignoring, exactly? Most of their customers are playing Fortnite BR. Even the majority of their old UT fanbase. So who they are ignoring is mostly just a handful of people that haven't moved on from this project yet. There really isn't anything to ignore.

And besides that, how is this different from the point at which any previous UT was, for all intents and purposes, abandoned? I've been through this with Epic at least four times before

Also, Carbon, you're welcome for reading my irrefutable points.
          HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
          BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

as far as i'm conserned there are 2 types at fault, said it before and i'll say it again ,
            1.Epic is at fault for getting evrybodys hopes up - they should have left it to the Open Tournament guys to build and kill.
            2. you sodding 99'ers who still insist on a UT re-make which most likely made the team fold because the "community" was not open to anything new
            UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
            ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

Comment

I can't blame the UT99 fans for giving the feedback they were asked to give. The problem is Epic has created three vastly different versions of UT and each fanbase wants something different. That isn't on the fans. Most people who post here aren't game designers. They are just fans of the series and want to play something that is modern but similar to the game they are passionate about. By contrast, the UT2004 fans were crowing for dodge jump and double jump and weren't willing to compromise on it. This is in spite of all the issues that even Epic admitted the UT2003/2004 movement style caused.

I don't agree with the assertion that Open Tournament would have been killed by those devs. For all we know it could have been very successful. I wish they had gotten an opportunity because now we have two dead games instead of (potentially) one.
              Last edited by _decayed; 07-22-2018, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I wonder if the Open UT project could be given a green light to start up again.

Flak's obviously aware that people are wondering what's going on with UT4 but cannot comment. To me that implies that its future is still undecided. Maybe Steve Polge still has aspirations of returning to the project some day, possibly with a group of Fortnite devs once Fortnite's dev needs have stabilized perhaps with dev overcapacity.
                Last edited by WHIPperSNAPper; 07-21-2018, 04:17 PM.
                UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Recooking everything for new patches was annoying, but hardly any real obstacle to developing on the community side.

The fact that in ~2015 and beyond that you might be waiting, non-hyperbole, years for responses to pull requests is far more important. From the community developer perspective there was almost zero interaction beyond the first few months of the project in 2014. I don't think Epic understood how much effort actual collaboration would take, and since this conflicted with long-established development habits (and unknown internal pressures) we essentially saw the collaborative element close up shop early on. Beyond a certain point the only collaboration that existed at all was community developers making artwork and Epic swooping in to use it on spec.

People trying to pin blame on "the community" for being negative, or being grognards for their favorite gameplay incarnation, are simply deluding themselves. Developers in a studio like Epic aren't coming into the office everyday and checking the forums for validation that they're doing a good job. Developers are busy with emails from the day before, catching up on JIRA items, doing their daily standups, daily playtests, working on their features, putting out fires, and still having a million and one things left over. And that's just work. People want to go home on time, see their families, plan their vacations, work on their home projects, etc etc. The existence of loud voices on the internet is still nothing more than an errant blip on the radar.

Similarly, expectations that this project is just going to one day start up again and continue on as it was going are fooling themselves. The project's been in pre-alpha state for four years, essentially stalled for two of those years. In that time frame I've worked on two games that went from early development to release. Hanging out indefinitely as a pre-Alpha product is not normal, and we can definitely tell that a game with this degree of prestige and resources behind it should be more than barely breaking into the triple digits of worldwide playercount, even at this stage. I remember specifically having a discussion with Steve where he indicated that fewer than 1 million players would be considered a failure.

So what will happen? We don't know. All we know at this point is that it's easier to not-make a decision than to actually axe it, or commit resources towards trying to salvage it.

All told I think I've spent tens of thousands of hours making stuff for Unreal Tournament (all versions). There's probably nothing that can happen to the series that's going to turn me off, but for the long term benefit of fans the best thing that could happen right now would be for a fan-made Open Tournament project to arise and thrive. I'd be happily willing to work on such a thing, and I often daydream about incredible new systems & experiences that could be implemented by all of the talented folks out here in the UT fanbase ... A shame that getting everyone on board is harder than herding cats, as it's the only meaningful path forward.
                  Find My: Twitter | YouTube | Downloads | Podcast
                  Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol
                  Other: Lore | Invasion | Pickups & Powerups | Achievement Ideas

Comment

I can't help but feel it would be very fragmented by a couple very polarizing development decisions. I would have very little faith in anything that doesn't involve Epic solidifying the core game play.
                    An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Honestly, they should provide an update of some sort as it feels like waiting for a slow mentally painful death to not have any news and you are like maybe this is the year the development continues and you keep hoping and hoping, your hope never fades away as UT is such a big part of you.

I'd rather have an update if it won't ever be continued to be able to stop longing for something that won't come, until there's no update there's a part of me that never gives up hope. After all, Unreal Tournament series is the only game I enjoy playing online, rest of the games I play I only play single player.

Maybe they are unsure how the situation of Fortnite continues and therefore it's hard to tell exactly when it would be possible to even continue working on UT but yea, telling what the case is wouldn't hurt either. Even if they provided news that the development is cancelled, that would still be better than keep hoping for a game that will never come out.

Another option would be to hand over the project to the community and let volunteers continue work on it for free, there's enough hardcore UT enthusiasts still around that wouldn't mind working on it for free, at least they owe the fans that much IMO as a thank over the years (I mean look at it, people would even develop it FOR FREE, that's how dedicated fans of this series are). Even if the disclaimer said, Epic has the rights to claim the project as their own at any given time, they'd still work on it as they just want to be able to play it. xD
                      Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 07-22-2018, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Nobody in this forum has/had any form of communication with the former Epic Games UT team ( https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...-ut-developers ) concerning UT status ?
                        I doubt about that. What about the community members that joined or worked with Epic Games (Zaccubus, booba, ...) ?

Anyway, the first announcement for Unreal Tournament was in May 2014. 4 years have passed, no news, special events are gone (haloween, cup events, level design award,..).
                        Even for the 20 years old birthday of UT no news sadly.

UT4 is quite playable without major bugs but still improvements to be done
                        (mid-game vote, map replay limit, in-game button for spectate and so on ).

Interesting to see the very first news about UT about what they planned it to be
                        ( https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/b...t-begins-today ):

From the very first line of code, the very first art created and design decision made, development will happen in the open, as a collaboration between Epic, UT fans and UE4 developers. We’ll be using forums for discussion, and Twitch streams for regular updates.
                        We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic. That’s how we plan to pay for the game.
                        Considering about 6-10 people worked for the game for about 2/3 years, it probably cost nearly 1.000.000 $.

Steve Polge in 2015 interesting comment about community content (6:20) :

Like with UT3 that was released during year Gears of Wars, i do think that Epic Games that had worked on Paragon at same time did not help.

Fortnite has 125M of players and reached 1 000 000 000 $ of revenue recently. UT team switched to fortnite and for sure will get a piece of that sucess story in cash.
                        Why would they switch back to small UT project? For passion? I doubt so. None of them no longer play UT online and they are mostly gone from forum and discord.
                        Imagine you are working at Epic Games, would you keep working on a marginal project or on a sucessfully one?

Pretty sure Epic Games knows about people waiting for news, they are silent on purpose.
                        I doubt they are secretly working on a big UT update (i dreamt about that ..) and with upcoming android fornite version, success won't decrease.

One solution would be community to work on Unreal Tournament source code for free.
                        • The main concern would be first about the Unreal Tournament / Unreal Engine license.
                        • The second one would be the useless fight between ut99 and ut2004 gameplay discussion.
                        • The last one would be the online feature. What about master server ? Social feature ?

The other solution, considering most of people playing low poly maps is simple as easy:
                        play Unreal Tournament (99) that is finished and polished and have tons of great mods
                        Last edited by ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ; 07-22-2018, 10:14 AM.

Comment

again i was in at the start and followed most of the comment and threads, even after they stated they had no interest in adding the stuff i wanted, the bottom line now is simple, as free to play won't work (money wise) on a fps arena game, back in the old days a small team (>10) could make a really good looking game, nowadays you need skill / manpower / fast turn round to make a AAA game work.

2 options come to mind,
                          1. Close all servers/forums/chats and let it die
                          2. Allow a group of community devs take on as Open Tournament with Epic support with servers/forum/chat

i would add my limited help to the second option
                          UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
                          ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

Comment

Originally posted by WinterIsComing
                            The other solution, considering most of people playing low poly maps is simple as easy: play Unreal Tournament (99) that is finished and polished and have tons of great mods
                            It's not that simple or easy because it's an online multiplayer game that requires other humans. I'd love to play UT99 Capture-the-Flag regular weapons on a server with a rotation of custom maps and 15 other people (8v8, those were crazy fun games) but that requires having those other 15 people. That's the problem. The reason for getting a new UT isn't merely to have a new game but also to have a fresh player base as a result of publicity, hype, and marketing.
                            UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Yeah, I'd love to just play a balance mod for '99, but there is no way (I've been able to dream up) you could ever expect to get but a fraction of it's twilight player base to go back to it. It would take a long time to snowball any new blood into it and a lot of collective community effort in marketing and hype.

At this point, just seeing current franchise fans exclaim that they think the current game is "playable" and that these weapons are at all acceptable is enough for me to call it dead. I don't need to see the forums close down. This franchise has had a hit scan sniper rifle for 10 years too long, and now half the other guns have gone full ******, because of the low skill ceiling on said scan weapon.

Rather just shoot AI in Desync, sadly.

Comment

I don't hold it against Epic for moving all the dev resources from UT to Fortnite, as it makes most sense to do so in the current situation.

However I do hope that once Fortnite craze quiets down (assuminng it doesn't end in some disaster for Epic and it's just a normal process of people moving to next big thing), they still remember UT and move devs and resources back to UT development.

Is there any way we can get a word out of Epic regarding this? Can we ask on Twitter or wherever they respond most actively? Maybe even make hashtag #rememberUT or something that can be used by community to start this discussion.

Comment

Working...
                                X