No announcement yet.

Paragon's problems, chance for UT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would imagine an Open Tournament project would have gameplay presets corresponding to past UT titles (and, presumably, new ones as well). The incentive towards a single ruleset is primarily on trying to capture that big eSports scene, but the ship for that has probably already sailed.
    Find My: Twitter | YouTube | Downloads | Podcast
    Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol
    Other: Lore | Invasion | Pickups & Powerups | Achievement Ideas

Comment

It's almost like there cannot be a such thing as a public #prealpha, because the public can't seem to grasp what it means.

No ships have sailed. There is no UT4. If UT4 was a person, we would still be in bed trying to conceive it. Except, right now work is in the way, and we don't have time.
      Originally posted by Mysterial
      An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

If Epic decided to stop development for good, the best bet would be if they released the server side code and allowed the community to continue development. Although that's still a big task for whoever decided to look after it.
        Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

the best bet would be if they released the server side code and allowed the community to continue development. Although that's still a big task for whoever decided to look after it.
          It is unlikely that the community will be able to make this process organized. Everyone has their own thoughts about what UT should be

Comment

Whatever. Epic knows this game has players, there were like 20 on last night just on the Atlanta hub. Tell the accountants to **** off, and please finally make this stupid ****ing game. You're lucky that your target demographic is old as ****, because otherwise how is anyone know about this game?

You made me want to play fortnite in 2011 at LEAST. I still have not downloaded the game. I am 18 years old. For more than a third of my life you made me wait on fortnite, and it's a shell of the trailer I watched in 2011.

Your target demographic for Unreal is literally dying. Hurry the **** up so I can play the best game ever concieved. I don't mean develop it into a **** stain as fast as possible like you did ut3, I mean just ****ing add SOMETHING?? Like you do still update this game, right epic? You do still know we love and play this game, right???

Comment

They are busy with fortnight and cannot come back to the game experiment that has 3.3 less millon players. We are where we are. I will see you on the servers. Anubis point is valid. This is a pre alpha.
              This game does not officially exist. But I still play 20 hours a week. I don't know what the status of a non game is but since we are on a non linked forum that people are not supposed to access...interest in this game should guarantee some type of release. This is all out of our hands now and I think we will be a decent spot on the epic launcher in the future

Comment

I'm sorry but "20 people on the Atlanta hub" is not going to convince anyone to finish this game. We should all be lucky they even went as far as they did, I get the feeling if they do start up work on the game again they are going to take it in a direction old school players won't like and just to try to copy Fortnite's success. As much as I love UT I'd rather see die at this point.

Comment

Does anyone from epic games monitoring this forum?

Comment

There might be one or two admins still around, but nobody from the development or community team has posted anything meaningful in a long time. Most of the devs disappeared back in 2016 and haven't been seen since.

Comment

They could at least say something. "Hey, we're not coming back here!" much better than keep silent.

Comment

No ships have sailed. There is no UT4. If UT4 was a person, we would still be in bed trying to conceive it. Except, right now work is in the way, and we don't have time.
                        Pretty sure he meant "the market has moved beyond where UT4 could even feasibly be an eSport. Which is true.
                        They could at least say something. "Hey, we're not coming back here!" much better than keep silent.
                        Actually, much, much worse than remaining silent. There is no reason to say or do anything about UT right now. The game is not out and the maintenance costs for it are a pittance. Although, I suspect that they would quickly do something about it if enough people started playing (but not enough people to actually finish the game) because then they have the Paragon problem (too expensive to run and zero revenue potential).

Also, Trev and Quot... brutal peeps. But oh so true.
                        HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

The only thing they need to do to make an eSport is stop trying to plan capitalization on an eSport. Or just stop trying to make an eSport.

The problem is they think they need massive amount of players able to compete for a successful eSport, so they bring skill ceilings down. They don't. They need a game that is almost as fun to watch as it is to play, and has high enough skill ceilings to accommodate many skill levels of play.

The bottom line is you can't force an eSport. Make a good game, and it will become one organically. Try to force one, and you'll fail.

No ships have sailed. People just need to get their heads out of their proverbial assess, and stop letting market economics ruin everything.
                          Originally posted by Mysterial
                          An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Its hard to compare UT to Paragon in terms of "will it be cancelled". While its true Paragon did have a bigger player base than UT, it also had a lot more resources committed to the game than UT ever did. Keeping UT4 alive right now probably cost them somewhere around 5,000-10,000 dollars a month in AWS hosting, which actually isnt a whole lot. Paragon was an attempt to make money from video games, UT is an attempt to make money from Unreal Engine. The UT project was more of a way to get developers, designers, programmers using UE4 than it was to earn money from a video game. So you cant look at Paragon and say wow that much bigger and more popular game was cancelled we are definitely cancelled now, because the two games were made for different reasons. Also Epic probably recognized that MOBAs are on the decline in popularity, Fortnite and BR is filling that gap. UT doesnt compete with Fortnite or Paragon, BR getting popular will do very little to influence AFPS games.
                            PayBack
                            Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
                            Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
                            UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
                            UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

Fortnite STW doesn't compete with Fortnite BR too, yet one had 1 update lately, and the other, like, 17...

Keep you optimism low and don't forget that:
                              1) devs promised that F-STW won't suffer from F-BR development, yet it does;
                              2) years have passed and they still are wrestling issues of the game engine;
                              3) they employ shady monetization practices like ****-loot lootboxes, people are surprised (lol) they even limit daily gain of (I can't even remember what the friggin' progress resource/item that thing is - llamas, gems, schematics, survivors, kitchen sinks...), which is essentially the same as XP throttling, that enraged Bungie fan community;
                              4) devs announced to community members about paragon going out of beta, then executed the game and tossed it into a backyard dumpster ("You see, son, I know I promised you a car but I didn't say I will "buy you a car". Anyway, when you buy yourself a Mustang don't forget to hang on a mirror this italian car air freshener I just got you");
                              5) what they did to Paragon and F-STW, they will do to UT (casualisation), and will throw it into the same dumpster if it doesn't attract multiple millions of players just by existing - they already removed the impact hammer (our data says that noobs can't understand it), overpowered rocket and flak (our data says that matches are too slow), introduced respawn delay (our data says action is too fast), our data..., our data..., our data....

Comment

If UT4 was a person, we would still be in bed trying to conceive it.
                                And we are all spectators of the act. We've been encouraged to join in a participate too. Problem is, some of us our children and we don't understand what daddy is doing to mommy.

Comment

Working...
                                X