Battle Royale for Unreal Tournament - how to save UT4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battle Royale for Unreal Tournament - how to save UT4

If Fortnite's game play can be successful with a 100 player Battle Royale deathmatch game, then why not UT4 - a game whose original multiplayer predecessor was all about deathmatch? Maybe this would be the best way to save Unreal Tournament. A horde of Devs and attention would descend on the UT project and the UT4 Battle Royale game would be created, eventually providing the financial and manpower resources needed to polish and complete the rest of the game.
    UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

If we start a battle royale, we need constant development for this gamemode. You can't just make a prototype and thats it. But i agree, we need it for the future and we need a difference in that.
    My idea was, instead of the parachute falling at start, you have like a parachute gun. You need to shoot a big bio rifle blob, which creates a water volume, where u can land in.
    Then on the map you have maybe 4 or 5 small arenas build in the enviorment. You can't just end the game between stones and trees. The end game should be in a UT arena. Lets say you build in small maps into a big one.
    Then you need UT vehicles of course. Maybe you need to find 2 or 3 parts for it first to use is? I dont know. maybe not. A big desert map would be nice
    Then the shock rifle damage needs to scale to distance. Lets say for 20 meters it does normal damage. For 2000 meters it does 1 hp. Rockets lose fuel over distance and fall off. etc.
    And important thing, we need stats. Battle royale is popluar cause of stats and competition.
    Then you can have some kind of stamina for dodge jumping or dodging. You can refill it with water or make long time stamina with items. just some ideas to make it different
    Again we either need a modding team over a long time or epic decides to do it.
    Projects: UT4BombingRun | UTCC wiki

Comment

I think coop mode can save this game. Coop like in Unreal 1998 or monster hunt like in Unreal Tournament 1999 or at least invasion like in UT2004.

Comment

The only thing this game needs saving from is unrealistic expectations for the size of it's potential player base.
        Originally posted by Mysterial
        An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Lightning doesn't strike twice in this sort of thing.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Thats a horrible idea, why would Epic make a game to compete with its other hugely popular game? Also as a UT fan, I would probably send Epic a strongly worded letter about how bad of an idea UT BR is and that ill never play another Epic game again.
            PayBack

Comment

Yesterday I tried Fortnite for the first time and I think Battle Royale would be fantastic for UT4! A UT version of Battle Royale would be more straightforward and more accessible to newer players (easier-to-understand weapons, no construction, etc.). Do it, Epic.
              UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

The royal battle is not the only popular game mode for all time. UT needs his own way. I opened the topic of the tournament ladder, but nobody cares

Comment

CSGO is really popular, Epic should added round based TDM with purchaseable gear! MOBAs are still popular right? Epic should add MOBA style game play to UT! Heros are popular right? Epic should add Heros to UT! Candy Crush is still like the worlds most popular game, Epic should add candy crushing to UT! Zombies are still popular, add zombies to UT! DragonBall Fighter Z is doing really well, Epic needs to add character fighting!
                  PayBack

Comment

What would be really awesome is if Epic would put the Unreal back in UT4. UT99 was hugely popular and would make great inspiration for a sequel. Can we have the love-child of modern tech and our amazing childhood hits like was originally promised?

Comment

Isn't deathmatch already a form of BR? I mean, last man standing type thing?

Anyhow, nobody likes a johnny-come-lately nor a copycat, particularly a game that has an established heritage and legacy; it would make UT look foolish and weak.
                      My Unreal game collection. Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

Comment

CSGO is really popular, Epic should added round based TDM with purchaseable gear! MOBAs are still popular right? Epic should add MOBA style game play to UT! Heros are popular right? Epic should add Heros to UT! Candy Crush is still like the worlds most popular game, Epic should add candy crushing to UT! Zombies are still popular, add zombies to UT! DragonBall Fighter Z is doing really well, Epic needs to add character fighting!
                        Your missing something - Deathmatch and Last Man Standing Deathmatch are NOT foreign concepts to Unreal Tournament. It is NOT incompatible with what Unreal Tournament is all about. It would not be that big of a stretch to have a Battle Royale mode for Unreal Tournament, when UT helped popularize Deathmatch in the first place.

Anyhow, nobody likes a johnny-come-lately nor a copycat, particularly a game that has an established heritage and legacy; it would make UT look foolish and weak.
                        ...and UT does not look "foolish and weak" in its current condition? It might even get axed like Paragon!!! UT4 is suffering an existential crisis and needs all the help it can get.

What if an Unreal Tournament version of Battle Royale were better and more fun than PUBG and Fortnite? I don't know much about PUBG, but Fortnite is not open to user-made custom maps and mini-mods, but Unreal Tournament is. What if instead of 1 death, 10 were allowed and it was more fun so that you didn't have to suffer through a waiting period to play again every time you get killed? Wanna try it with only Impact Hammers or Chainsaws? Goo Guns only? 2x movement speed? Low gravity? Etc. Think of the possibilities.

What if that prospect gave Epic Games a reason not to kill UT4? Imagine if it revitalized Unreal Tournament and brought hundreds of thousands of new players to it, some of whom might check out and discover the other game modes like Capture-the-Flag? We need to encourage Epic to consider the Battle Royale for UT4 and to think of the possibilities.

We need a Modder to step up and create this for UT4, just to show Epic that it's possible. I'm not a programmer nor a modder; so it's not something I could do, but I'm sure there are people out there who are up to the task. Imagine if Unreal Tournament Battle Royale became the most popular version of the gameand what it could do for Unreal Tournament (such as getting people who came for Battle Royale to try CTF, etc.).

We can't let "pride" and a sense that Unreal Tournament should only have its original and UT 2004 game types get in the way of progress and practicality. And besides, why shouldn't Unreal Tournament have the world's most popular Deathmatch / Last Man Standing game?
                        Who's with me?
                        Last edited by WHIPperSNAPper; 02-06-2018, 04:55 AM.

Comment

I think it could work, basically last man standing with a shrinking arena. Maps will have to be very different. Will be fun in teams. I think maybe 25 players would be a better number for ut, but that could come down for the map. Getting enough players to test out during development might be hard to it will have to be thought through well before committing to a course
                          Maps: DM-Dying_Sun WIP & DM-TokaraSwamp
                          www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

You guys do understand the appeal of that gametype is actually a lack of engagement. It's a thriller-FPS where instead of eerily designed levels with aliens, or demons hunting you down from the shadows, you get the satisfaction of playing against people, potentially being the monster, but without needing the reflexes and wherewithal to drive a xenomorph, or some other creepy, crawly, high mobility monster. It takes the already present concept in shooters of "win by not dying" and sprints with it in the absolute wrong direction. UT4 should be designing it's game play for more "in your face" action, and engagement, not gravitating away from it, to a gametype that encourages hiding in the shadows, in hopes to ambush the last player on the map after the rest weed themselves out. They've managed to take the very thing that was wrong with UT LMS, and make it acceptable, by hiding it under a bunch of items management, and accentuating it with survival gear.

Giving multiple lives would change the DNA of the current royale motif. It would make more sense to just mod UT weapons into Fortnite, than try to warp UT into something that far from it's DNA.

The fact that it runs away from engagement and not towards it means it also won't even serve as a great gateway to the rest of what UT has to offer. It would be multitudes worse at that than CA and ONS.

If we want to bring people to this franchise, we need a good successor to Warfare. Otherwise we need to accept that if we want a hardcore shooter, it's only going to attract hardcore gamers, and there simply isn't as many of them.
                            Originally posted by Mysterial
                            An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

It will be necessary to modify the royal battle to the style of UT.

UT weapons and style of play are not suitable for large open spaces.
                              So I think it should be a large building or several skyscrapers standing side by side.

Players can land on the roof or in one of the windows and then everything will work on the mechanics of the PUBG.
                              For example, there are 4 skyscrapers. After a certain amount of time, one skyscraper will fall. Players must have time to leave it.
                              So the space will narrow. And in the last skyscraper you need to slowly drop one floor by floor

Comment

Working...
                              X