Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is UT2004 still the best in the series?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is UT2004 still the best in the series?

A few things

Better game types than UT99
    Better game speed and movement
    Far more playable superior maps. A vast amount.
    Better mods
    Better player counts UT99 peak counts vs UT2004 peak counts... UT2004 wins straight up.
    UT2004 is still played regularly today http://ut2004stats.epicgames.com/ind...?stats=matches and on Steam.
    Replay value UT2004 wins.
    Rated as a near to perfect game by many gaming sites across the board upon release.

UT99 is an important game though because without it... there would be no UT2004. UT99 is not the best of the series sorry. UT99 accomplished having a certain atmospheric feel that I feel was lost a little in later titles.
    Other than that I think the evolution from UT99 to 2004 was a good one.

Terrains!
    SuperBerzerk!
    Vehicles!
    Eye-Candy!
    Localisations!
    Female Anouncer!
    Easy Going!
    Last edited by Kaal979; 06-02-2018, 06:16 AM.
    GOod STUff HERe << http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...psf9ca6a75.png

Comment

Nostalgia comes to mind with either UT1 or UT2004. The latter had more play-ability options up front, where UT1 truly gave you a more grounded and tactile feel. Sure, you had some insane moves at your disposal in 2004, but if we can be honest here, those moves and the opened up levels turned the game into a hitscan fest. That alone does not indicate the game is bad or flawed, it is just that you could not enjoy a projectile based match without someone accusing you of cheating or being a noob. Hitscan was so less dominating in UT1, which in my opinion made the game feel more balanced for avid and casual players alike.
      Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

2k4 never was, isn't now and never will be the best... The first UT always has been and still is the best.

Comment

UT2k4 somehow cannot mess with UT3 in things of environments
          but the original UT3 figures cant be brought to life.
          GOod STUff HERe << http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...psf9ca6a75.png

Comment

The movement.
            UT2004 Movement Mutator

Comment

2k4 was, is now and will be the best... The first UT always has been and still is a great precursor to ut2004.
              I do agree

Comment

I am currently playing UT99 and UT3. I love both.
                But I already played UT2k4 and I really like that idea of dodge + jump.

Comment

The only two game types that realy great in UT2004 its Assault and Onslaught.
                  More stuff didn't make game automaticly better.
                  Its too colourful.
                  Its over fast. movement speed is unrealistic and didn't help dodge anything becouse everything in this game is faster.
                  Killing is too easy and you don't feel you earned it. In UT99 every time you meet your enemy it's like duel and in UT2004 it's mostly all about just one shot, that boring.
                  Last edited by MArS03; 06-03-2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

You are forgetting VCTF
                    Who cares about color.. its all about game play. And that is where ut2004 wins if we are comparing vs ut99.
                    That is just my opinion and i'm sticking to my shield gun on that.

Comment

Sorry you missed UT in it's hay, and I forgive you.

Originally posted by Mysterial
                      An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Originally posted by d33p_Sky
                        Better player counts UT99 peak counts vs UT2004 peak counts... UT2004 wins straight up.
                        You are totally wrong on that. UT99's online player counts trounced those of UT 2004. It wasn't even a competition. Don't you remember seeing thousands of players on the UT99 servers 24/7 in 2001/2002 (2 years after release) and then seeing only several hundred people online for UT 2004 in 2006 (2 years after release) with the Capture-the-Flag and Bombing Run servers being almost completely empty? UT99 also had far more organized clan match and IRC-organized CTF PUG match activity too. There was even a CTF draft league that was active up until just a few years ago. Were you actually around for UT99?
                        UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

I was most definitely around for UT99.

Comment

It's not your fault.
                            Originally posted by Mysterial
                            An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Working...
                            X