Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the chances that Quake Champions will catch up to UT4 development?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the chances that Quake Champions will catch up to UT4 development?

With ID Software doing Quake Champions (aka the so-called Quake 5), that game is currently in early access in Steam from last year. And yes, that game does have bots to play with in skirmishes, but I doubt the game works offline. So far ID Software isn't developing any sort of a battle royale game... yet, except for a new Doom sequel.

What are the chances that Quake Champions will catch up to UT4's development?

Also, Quake Champions is free to download in Steam and in Bethesda game launcher till June 17th, only if you sign up and play so it will be permanently free even after the full release.

Quake Champions has 12k players on Steam right now. I doubt UT4 has ever come close to those kinds of numbers at any point other than very early on. id and Bethesda are heading towards a full release and they just got a ton of publicity at E3, hence the 12k players. They also regularly update the game and communicate with their fanbase.

On the other hand, this project (UT4) hasn't been updated in a year and Epic pretends that the game and its community don't exist. We have no idea when or even if development will continue. It seems to me that id and Quake are already far ahead and Epic and UT are the ones that need to play catch up.

So far ID Software isn't developing any sort of a battle royale game... yet, except for a new Doom sequel.
    Not sure where you got that from. Doom Eternal is not a Battle Royale game. It's a sequel to the 2016 Doom 4 game. I don't see any information that confirms they are including a BR mode. They didn't talk about multiplayer at all. We really don't know anything else about it and won't until QuakeCon.
    Last edited by _decayed; 06-12-2018, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Catch up? Quake Champions is way ahead of UT4 in development. QC might not be advancing that fast, but UT4 is literally decaying.
      PayBack
      Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
      Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
      UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
      UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

Quake caught up already but they lack of gamedesign cause of character classes with skills, which is not a equal arena fight design. That's what it different to UT. As soon as they make a gamemode with no classes, UT is done. Of course UT has the big plus of community development. But what is that, if the company doesn't support a alpha version anymore and epic doesn't talk or react to the community in any way. That's just stupid in 2018
        Projects: UT4BombingRun | UTCC wiki

Comment

They already have a "No Abilities" game mode where all active champion abilities are removed from play. However, the passive stuff like hitbox size and movement speed (which are different values per champion) are still enforced. I don't believe id are ever planning to make a true "no classes" game mode for QC and since there is apparently no mod support it does not appear as though there ever will be.
          Last edited by _decayed; 06-13-2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Quake Champions practically had a free buffet lunch laid out for them. They had the brand, performance/tech, and stable game design foundation, and they lethally poisoned it with classes. I cannot think of another example where I wanted a game so badly but one blunder sent me running for the hills. UT4's GL is the spawn of Satan but at least there's still a game around it. Wildstar got one of the shortest test drives in history when I couldn't adjust the sensitivity and turned 360 degrees in 1 inch, but sanity prevailed and sensitivity control first modded in then added to the stock game, allowing me to give it a second chance.

In general, however, I hold little hope for any IP that violates its own core principles or delivers something divergent from its foundational promise. QC and UT both fall into that category, but QC much more so and with directed purpose. I doubt I'll ever bother with any new Quake title again unless its in someone else's hands.

Comment

You're joking, right?

Quake Champions doesn't have any 'catching up' to do - it's miles and miles ahead already. They've had 10k-15k players every night this week. Has UT even topped a few hundred in the past 6 months?
              also known as Humphro

Comment

Player count has nothing to do with the question asked.
                My Unreal game collection. Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

Comment

Working...
                X