My thoughts on Quake Champions and Unreal Tournament

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thoughts on Quake Champions and Unreal Tournament

Epic is literally ruining the arena shooter genre by letting QC be successful and not making an actually good one.
    They have the instruments to make the perfect arena fps, unlike QC devs, who don't have an engine comparable to UE4.
    But they smelled money and ditched.

I tried to play QC so hard, but 90% of the time I feel like "What am I doing here? Why is this **** more popular than Quake Live?".
    It's not less childish than Fortnite, both are mostly about RNG if you are playing against someone with the same skill.
    Not talking about the performance issues of their garbage engine, and their horrific game design choices. Almost every patch brings unwanted changes that makes the game newbie friendly, and these most of the time make no sense.
    Like dumbing down the scoreboard so you don't even see how many times you died or how much damage you've done, etc. Like making it impossible to choose a gamemode you want to play, instead you can play the "Solo Playlist" for Instagib and DM or "Team Playlist" for TDM or Sacrifice, and CTF later possibly.
    Overall they are going in a wrong direction every time they update their game imo. In spite of this more and more players will join the game, and the new ones don't even realize how bad it is compared to the previous ones.

I'm on an IT university, and I was thinking about learning game development, but these companies nowadays like EA, Epic, id Software made me rethink it.
    Just imagine the UT4 team being in their dream job, and the next day they have to work on a game (Fortnite) for childs and contribute to ruining the FPS genre.
    Epic just dropped from the very top to the bottom in my eyes. Also I don't know why it is so hard to work on two games at the same time when making so much money from Fortnite now.

Yep, its very unfortunate. I feel exactly the same regarding QC and Fortnite. Now that Epic has lots of cash flow from Fortnite, it would make sense to put a team on UT as their next big thing. It has so much potential.

Comment

I played QC and it said I had 150 FPS, yet was the choppiest piece of **** I've ever played. The game wasn't even fun compared to Q3.
      UT2004 Movement Mutator

Comment

I've been playing QC for a year almost now, and Im actually enjoying it a lot. Champions and abilities are fun. Probably the main reason I'm playing it is because it's the most active arena FPS, but as a long time UT player (TDM, TAM, ictf, duel, on ut2004, ut3 and UT4...), I can say I found in QC what I was looking for. Sure I miss combos and dodge, but the game is fast, I never get bored.

Comment

Sometimes I enjoy QC too, but there are some stupid situations that are just unfair for an arena shooter imo.

You spawn as Anarki with literally 0 armor, and you meet a stacked Scalebearer. You have 0 chance killing it, he can even live through 2 direct rocket hits and some more dmg from LG for example. If he can land 2 pretty badly aimed rockets he wins. Nice game.
          Sure you can play Anarki from the background, picking up health and armor constantly, but as I said there are unfortunate situations, and an arena shooter shouldn't be about luck, it should be pure skill imo.

And it's only one example... it's unbalanced af, but I don't expect them to balance it, because it's almost impossible. Just don't make champions.

Comment

Champions are now part of your overall arsenal selection. Choosing Anarki on a tight map is a bad idea; he needs space to move, so large, open maps only. You can change champions before any respawn, so choose a more suitable one for the arena you're in. Spawning itself has been brought up within the community discussions Ive seen, but that isn't about any particular character and more about where spawning occurs.

I own the game and have had fun with it. It runs very well, plays well and is quite fun (though I'm not very good!). It's not perfect, but having access to all champions is important or, with the free version, unlocking one fast, squishy and one more tanky champion is very useful.

There is no need to hate QC to love UT.
            My Unreal game collection. Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

Comment

It's free on steam for two more days. Installing it now.

Comment

It's a good deal. It's yours forever and getting new champions by playing isn't a huge grind.
                My Unreal game collection. Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

Comment

I played alot of Quake 96 and Quake 3 arena, downloaded the new quake yesterday, was very pleased.
                  Slightly faster than UT but a bit stiffer in the movement, kept trying to wallrun and slide out of UT4 instinct, bunnyjumping is tricky.

Either the Quake playerbase has really mediocre skills or they have a somewhat working matchmaker, so thats one way they are ahead, also the graphics look exquisite.
                  I didn't have custom games available as a F2P user though, UT4 feels alot more community friendly from a first impression.
                  Same but different, worth checking out.

Comment

I tried Quake Champions today and the movement and game play felt good to me. I'm not much of a deathmatch person, so I'm looking forward to trying it when CTF is added. However, without a server browser, private servers, and custom maps and mods it will never compare to UT99.
                    UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Haha. The "agile" champion is inferior to the "tank" champion in all but the sweet situation for the "agile" champion in a game that has always had pretty low weapon skill ceilings. Would never have guessed.
                      Originally posted by Mysterial
                      An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Its not really that fun as compared to Q3 but battle fields are awesome.
                        https://www.merrchant.com/daily/2/online-gaming/

Comment

Working...
                        X