It's time to stop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell
    Yes. If you conducted a web search, you won't find it - unless it links back to these forums. What you don't know is the background behind me writing it, when, where and why. If I ever met you in person, I might divulge.
    That's fine. I get it, and can imagine a context where it might be apt. But I haven't actually seen it yet. :P

It's an interesting point. There are certainly lots of bug fixes in the base/core engine for one, between 4.15 and 4.19. These would help those modding the game and maybe even draw modders back? You personally may not have said anything negative, but one community moderator (just a few days ago) has singled out an individual on the forums for complaining about 'the situation'. Hardly helpful, and in my personal opinion; disgusting and deplorable behaviour.

So yeah - it shall be interesting to see how everybody feels about this game. At the top of the Ivory Tower.

Sereau is working hard on this, and needs support - which I suspect is waning.
    Drawing modders back? Well, the engine would have to stop breaking everything with each update; people get tired of having to re-cook time and time again and I don't know how many .paks I have that are useless now. The only good thing that has come out of Epic's absence has been the long-term viability of maps and mods made in the last year.

As for complainers, well that isn't me and never will be. Unless you count complaining about the spammers and haters, that is. Then yep, guilty. Not sure what the ivory tower reference was about...?

As for supporting Sereau, well I haven't the foggiest idea about technical matters, so I'd just be in my usual cheerleader role, but there is as much support as there will ever be right now....this place is gutted for the most part.

Exactly. Exactly.
    Hm. And I thought I was being facetious.
    My Unreal game collection. Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

Comment

If you are an Unreal Engine modder, having the build updated for UT4 will mean something for you. I did put a question mark on it.

Ivory Tower reference was not directed at you.
      Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

lol Mitch you are delusional. You actually think Epic is going to give you money to update and work on their product?
        PayBack

Comment

As I recall, there are some ongoing intellectual property issues with Epic releasing Unreal Tournament to a third party. Now, if they could find a buyer for the franchise, then maybe that entity might entertain optioning the work out to a third party, but that is more pipe dream than anything else. But first, there has to be an interested party with that kind of money to throw around for a fairly outdated franchise, as I am guessing Epic wouldn't let go of the franchise for chump change, if ever, since it is tied in name to their proprietary engine.
          Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Originally posted by LayBack
            lol Mitch you are delusional. You actually think Epic is going to give you money to update and work on their product?
            So...grants are giving money away are they?

I thought they were to promote investment in projects based on the Unreal Engine...are you on the committee(s) ? If so, are you saying you would block development for UT4?

Be careful with your words 'sir, because that would be a very interesting thing to tweet out to the world should you make such a claim...

I want to get to work on updating this game...you?

Also:

Originally posted by LayBack
            oh look another "my opinion is best opinion" post from some random guy who thinks he has all the answers...
            Nice attitude.

Let us dwell and see what the actual company line is on the grant system:

Originally posted by EPIC GAMES
            Epic has created a $5,000,000 development fund to provide financial grants to innovative projects built in and around Unreal Engine 4. Awards range from $5,000 to $50,000, and there are no strings attached: you continue to own your IP, are free to publish however you wish, and can use the grant funds without any restrictions or obligations to Epic.
            Seems pretty clear to me.

We didn't start the fire...and you can't put it out by attempting to belittle and demean the community. Epic Games is all about the community...just listen to their speeches, or, are you saying they are lying???
            Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Mitch, with all due respect, this isn't going to happen. At least not as a paid project. UT is not your innovation nor your original IP and you won't get any money for continuing development of the game. You are taking things out of context and being far too liberal with your interpretation of the quoted text. I'm sure if you dig past the PR statements you'll find a whole mess of legalese that will quite clearly define the scope and parameters surrounding the development fund.

Past this, you are just one person and to think that you could do anything meaningful in a reasonable time frame is a bit absurd.

Map and mod all you like, but you won't be getting any paid control over the core development.

Comment

Correct MArS03! It's Time to stop and enjoy some cold lemonade (good for your mirror neurons), then scroll through 162+ custom maps and frag on.
                Crotale, we're going to have to wait till powerball climbs back up abit before that happens.
                LoPing
                Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon
                  Mitch, with all due respect, this isn't going to happen. At least not as a paid project. UT is not your innovation nor your original IP and you won't get any money for continuing development of the game. You are taking things out of context and being far too liberal with your interpretation of the quoted text. I'm sure if you dig past the PR statements you'll find a whole mess of legalese that will quite clearly define the scope and parameters surrounding the development fund.

Past this, you are just one person and to think that you could do anything meaningful in a reasonable time frame is a bit absurd.

Map and mod all you like, but you won't be getting any paid control over the core development.
                  A few things, as you have always had my attention.

I haven't made any decisions, but this is a very real consideration. However, I am only considering updating the current build to the current UE4 build (which I am sure will be higher than 4.19 by the time anything happens) and that is about all I believe would be necessary to re-energise the community. If I have given anyone of worth the indication that I want Epic Games to hand over their IP, I don't and; would never ask them to. Updating the build wouldn't solve all of the problems, but it would be the first step.

Now, the first step is always the hardest. Not the second, not the third; but the first. Going to the gym to work out is hard...just travelling there can be a daunting experience for many...but IF you put your tracksuit on and actually go, you will find you feel immediately better about it. Once you can repeat that first step, again and again, you find that it becomes habitual and you just end up going to the gym a lot more than you expected. The opposite of that is also true. People can get into the habit of sitting on their couch, eating bad food (because they lost the habit to cook proper food for themselves) and generally not live a very productive life and fulfilling life for themselves.

What has always become apparent to me over the years is there are always those who project there own inabilities onto others because they are unable to take that first step...because it's too hard for them. Fine.

Nothing is more motivating to me, than someone telling me that something cannot be done. Nothing. You may also be completely correct in that the process they present contains legalese (awesome word btw, so rarely used) which hampers progress and obstructs my own proclivity to achieve.

I believe this game can be a success. I believe it can be upgraded to a newer build, so the community can reap the benefits. I believe.

Now, if my belief is strong enough, I believe others can be convinced to take that first step, because after that; it's easy. It's easy for everybody.

Leading a 'why not?' life is better than leading a 'why?' life. If you surround yourself with 'why?' people, sure, you might get more objective viewpoints, but you will also end up carrying their burdens and their own perspectives on 'why' something cannot be done, rather than 'why not?' something cannot be tried.

Yoda was wrong. To try something is better than doing, as through trying we learn how to do. In other words - trying is doing.

The achievements of humankind can be stacked up as a sprinkling of singular achievements. I am just one person, but if you knew who I am and what I have overcome during my life, it would humble you 'sir.

Keep telling me it cannot be done.

It feeds me.
                  Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

If you were able to do this yourself there would be a small chance of a grant. There's no way you're getting money up front for it. The game is on hiatus as is anyway. They aren't paying attention it.
                    Come join us for pickup games http://ut4pugs.us

Comment

Originally posted by ÐutchSmºke View Post
                      Correct MArS03! It's Time to stop and enjoy some cold lemonade (good for your mirror neurons), then scroll through 162+ custom maps and frag on.
                      unfortunately this game have no hook that would leave me more than 1 match

Comment

A few things, as you have always had my attention.

I haven't made any decisions, but this is a very real consideration. However, I am only considering updating the current build to the current UE4 build (which I am sure will be higher than 4.19 by the time anything happens) and that is about all I believe would be necessary to re-energise the community. If I have given anyone of worth the indication that I want Epic Games to hand over their IP, I don't and; would never ask them to. Updating the build wouldn't solve all of the problems, but it would be the first step.

Now, the first step is always the hardest. Not the second, not the third; but the first. Going to the gym to work out is hard...just travelling there can be a daunting experience for many...but IF you put your tracksuit on and actually go, you will find you feel immediately better about it. Once you can repeat that first step, again and again, you find that it becomes habitual and you just end up going to the gym a lot more than you expected. The opposite of that is also true. People can get into the habit of sitting on their couch, eating bad food (because they lost the habit to cook proper food for themselves) and generally not live a very productive life and fulfilling life for themselves.

What has always become apparent to me over the years is there are always those who project there own inabilities onto others because they are unable to take that first step...because it's too hard for them. Fine.

Nothing is more motivating to me, than someone telling me that something cannot be done. Nothing. You may also be completely correct in that the process they present contains legalese (awesome word btw, so rarely used) which hampers progress and obstructs my own proclivity to achieve.

I believe this game can be a success. I believe it can be upgraded to a newer build, so the community can reap the benefits. I believe.

Now, if my belief is strong enough, I believe others can be convinced to take that first step, because after that; it's easy. It's easy for everybody.

Leading a 'why not?' life is better than leading a 'why?' life. If you surround yourself with 'why?' people, sure, you might get more objective viewpoints, but you will also end up carrying their burdens and their own perspectives on 'why' something cannot be done, rather than 'why not?' something cannot be tried.

Yoda was wrong. To try something is better than doing, as through trying we learn how to do. In other words - trying is doing.

The achievements of humankind can be stacked up as a sprinkling of singular achievements. I am just one person, but if you knew who I am and what I have overcome during my life, it would humble you 'sir.

Keep telling me it cannot be done.

It feeds me.
                        Motivational speaker?

Good luck to you my friend. And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

Comment

Ok let me explain to you why this is a stupid idea. It generally takes Epic around 1 month to upgrade the game from one engine version to other. Going from say 4.14 to 4.15. This is with dedicated programmers who are responsible for just that one task and work with the engine and game on a daily basis. Once they finish the migration, they then have a full team to test the builds and make sure no bugs or major issues occur. Then the build is released to the public and we further test and provide bug reports and feedback, which generally takes 2-3 UT builds after an engine build to get the same in a good spot again. You would be looking at doing 4-5 major releases. The sheer amount of bugs and issues would easily overwhelm the best programmers at Epic, let alone some random community member. Upgrading the game to a new version of the engine and being in a stable state is not something one person can do alone. Lets not forget you also need to debug and troubleshoot the linux/mac versions as well as the server builds and backend stuff like server browser. Next major hurdle is code review. Epic can not accept your version of the game and release it as its own without inspecting every line of code to ensure there is no malicious code. You can tell me till you are blue in the face that you didnt insert malicious code into the game, its not your *** on the line if you did. Finally Epic doesnt give people grants to make stuff, they give grants to people who HAVE made stuff. What you are talking about is called a job, where a company agrees to pay you to do a certain task. Grants are more like bonuses for work that you have already completed. Lastly, why do you think Epic is going to pay you to make its game? Im really curious where the logic comes from that we are even having this debate about whether or not Epic would pay some random community member to update its own game instead of just doing it themselves.
                          PayBack

Comment

Ok let me explain to you why this is a stupid idea. It generally takes Epic around 1 month to upgrade the game from one engine version to other. Going from say 4.14 to 4.15. This is with dedicated programmers who are responsible for just that one task and work with the engine and game on a daily basis. Once they finish the migration, they then have a full team to test the builds and make sure no bugs or major issues occur. Then the build is released to the public and we further test and provide bug reports and feedback, which generally takes 2-3 UT builds after an engine build to get the same in a good spot again. You would be looking at doing 4-5 major releases. The sheer amount of bugs and issues would easily overwhelm the best programmers at Epic, let alone some random community member. Upgrading the game to a new version of the engine and being in a stable state is not something one person can do alone. Lets not forget you also need to debug and troubleshoot the linux/mac versions as well as the server builds and backend stuff like server browser. Next major hurdle is code review. Epic can not accept your version of the game and release it as its own without inspecting every line of code to ensure there is no malicious code. You can tell me till you are blue in the face that you didnt insert malicious code into the game, its not your *** on the line if you did. Finally Epic doesnt give people grants to make stuff, they give grants to people who HAVE made stuff. What you are talking about is called a job, where a company agrees to pay you to do a certain task. Grants are more like bonuses for work that you have already completed. Lastly, why do you think Epic is going to pay you to make its game? Im really curious where the logic comes from that we are even having this debate about whether or not Epic would pay some random community member to update its own game instead of just doing it themselves.
                            But trying is doing man...

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon
                              Motivational speaker?

Good luck to you my friend. And no, I'm not being sarcastic.
                              I know - I've felt your input is worthy of attention sir.

Being a motivational speaker...that's an idea, some people have said that to me over the years - especially my staff....let me tell you a story....

I needed a member of staff (this was 10+ years ago) and I speed-dialled the recruitment agency who said they didn't really have anyone 'qualified' to do the job I needed. My immediate response was "So? Send me the most tenacious, professional and enthusiastic (random) people you got on your books." Guess what? They were all completely clueless and the other directors were getting tired of my beliefs in finding anyone to fill this gap on our roster...but there was this one person, for which I wish to talk about.

They knew nothing. Their education was appalling. Their job history was literally the antithesis of what we would normally seek. Their outward appearance was scraggy, with a demeanour to rival most street gangs. Their interests consisted of sports, sports and more sports. When it came to the 'tell us about yourself' element of the interview, they rambled on for a clear 30 mins on the delicacy of boxers and all manner of athletic achievements over the years. Why they liked X team over another team...why such-and-such coach was better than another in another team, you get the idea.

When they left the interview, the others began to laugh and say 'we are never going to find someone!...what a joke that was!...did you see the way they looked?...' that sort of thing. Then they turned to me and I said 'That's the one'. Then they all laughed even louder, practically spitting their coffee out, but quickly abated when they saw I wasn't laughing, or even remotely grinning, but deadly serious.

And of course the big question came up 'WHY???'

My response was very simple: We will need to train them? Yes. Will they make mistakes? Yes. Will it be difficult? Yes, very...but here's the thing, they just spent 30 mins talking about a topic with such passion and enthusiasm that we all listened to them...they held our attention, and we were captivated...on the edge of our seats...if there is even a remote chance we can translate 1% of that into what we need, that will be better than 99% of people with the supposed 'right stuff'.

That individual is now on a 7 figure salary, and a director of a very large territory for one of my former clients. Yes that's right, they were hired by one of my former clients in a very junior role, yet continued to excel and push their way to the very top.

No one got in their way, ever. And this is someone who dropped out of school, couldn't spell or do mental arithmetic, had a colourful past to say the least - but is now the envy of a great many people.

~

It is the difference between what you are and who you are.

What someone is, that's just stuff you learn along the way. Tinker tailor solider sailor. No one is born these things, you put in your time at school and one day you get to don the cap. It is not however who you are. People will tend to say to you in your life 'you need to be a doctor, you need to be a lawyer, you need to be this or that, or some other thing' but, they all have got the game wrong...so so wrong.

No one has to become someone, because you are already someone: you. That's the real trick. The really difficult thing is figuring out who you are, most inordinately not what you are. What you are is just a tag for contextual identification purposes; it's the hat you wear during the day - but when you go to bed at night, that hat is hung up somewhere - if you were to never put it on again, it would gather dust.

Nosce te ipsum - know thyself.

I see people walking around with glum looks on their faces, and these are people with the latest phones, footwear, haircuts, cars, designer coffee and all manner of materialistic possessions. Empty. Hollow. Unhappy. Unfulfilled (some call them 'sheeple', not me). Not forging their path, but following what they have been told day in and day out since birth: What they should be doing, and what will make them happy. I'm sure some may agree they have seen the same people, in niteclubs dancing, but the next day - empty and sad, other than the lie they wish to tell themselves, the lie they wish to believe.

"I must be happy - I have got a big car and an expensive phone" I might add they still have to sit in traffic, and you can't use that phone when you are driving, which hierarchically means you are the same as everyone else on the road

~

Apologies to the OP, but Carbon made an interesting observation that I couldn't resist replying to.
                              Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Hi Mitch Mitchell, I just came to this topic to tell you as a regular player who plays at least weekly and who can see you regularly posting posts blaming and hating Epic Games, how ridiculous and sick your comments seem to me. Get a life or play and wait, but please stop these stupid posts of yours.

FYI I am not even going to read your response, if any.

Comment

Working...
                                X