It's time to stop.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by layback
    Ok let me explain to you why this is a stupid idea...
    Thank you, once again, for proving to me and everyone on these forums why you are someone not worth listening to...you do not want anyone to try. Yah, let's not climb that mountain - it's too steep. Yah, let's not go to the moon - it's too expensive, and really far away. Yah, let's not solve the mathematical infinite sub-divide of binary space partitioning problem, Sheesh. With that kind of mindset, Sir Edmund Percival Hillary, Neil Armstrong and John Carmack would be minor footnotes in history.

I genuinely would like to meet you in RL, because there is great deal that you and I could discuss to help you change your perspectives and hopefully, make you see yourself and others in a better light.

If I do move forward with this, I will not be doing this alone - and I fully expect (yet not demand) that others will help me from the community.

Will you help me? Will you contribute? Will you hold my hand if I ask it of you?

Please, say yes - because then we move closer to making this game beta.
    Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker_CZ
      Hi Mitch Mitchell, I just came to this topic to tell you as a regular player who plays at least weekly and who can see you regularly posting posts blaming and hating Epic Games, how ridiculous and sick your comments seem to me. Get a life or play and wait, but please stop these stupid posts of yours.

FYI I am not even going to read your response, if any.
      If you could expand, that might be more interesting for others to read. Sorry to see you go.
      Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Did you just really compare yourself to Neil Armstrong? Also did you just say you expect Epic to pay you to work on upgrading their game and that you also expect other community members to help you? Are you going to pay them as well? I dont want to meet you, sounds like a huge waste of time and frankly you seem a little on the spectrum.
        PayBack
        Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
        Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
        UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
        UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

Originally posted by slayback
          Did you just really compare yourself to Neil Armstrong? Also did you just say you expect Epic to pay you to work on upgrading their game and that you also expect other community members to help you? Are you going to pay them as well? I dont want to meet you, sounds like a huge waste of time and frankly you seem a little on the spectrum.
          No. No. Yes. And, you just crossed the line. Good bye forever.
          Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Nothing, including Epic Games, is stopping any person or group from creating and marketing their own content. The one main caveat though, is that you cannot legally use the Unreal Tournament name unless you can acquire a license from Epic, which will not be cheap. In other words, Epic still maintains the rights to the franchise but license out its use to legitimate game design outfit. This can only happen if the design firm is an established company with a track record of success and has access to lots of money for publishing a game. Startups with little to no initial funding need apply, I would venture to guess.

The other side is to create your own game in the spirit of UT, which Epic says you can do right now with their engine. For free. You just cannot make a copy of UT, use UT assets, nor can you call it UT or any related variant, such as Unreal Combat. Then again, you might be able to name it Smackdown Tournament. Depending upon how aggressive your approach will determine how much content you add, if any, or perhaps you want fans (re: community) to create their own levels for use and distribution. That is, if you are not looking to control the content within the game and simply wish to create a fun game without need to earn a living off your hard work (and your team's efforts, if you have one).

Just one more thing to note here. Several games have come along in the last decade promising to emulate UT, but all have failed to achieve any level of long-term success. It doesn't mean this achievement is impossible, but it is a bellwether to be acknowledged before getting yourself worked up on a project.

Everybody wants to talk a good game, but it is the gogetters who make it happen.
            Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale
              Snip
              Couldn't agree more.
              Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
                Everybody wants to talk a good game, but it is the gogetters who make it happen.
                much in life depends on luck. the right people in the right place, at the right time.

Comment

Originally posted by MArS03
                  UT3 listened to the fans and as a result there is nothing interesting, nothing new, only the mistakes of the past have been corrected and this is also important, but you will agree that UT3 is not epic.
                  Do you have any idea what kinds of problems UT3 had and why it failed so hard? It had nothing at all to do with the game play. Rather, the game was horribly consolized with an insulting user interface and server browser, and the game was rushed out the door in an almost beta-like condition. It had tons of problems that had nothing to do with game play.
                  UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell
                    The blame is not the playerbase or the community: it's poor project management.
                    I agree wholeheartedly. It was a disaster. All they had to do was replicate the UT99 game play - the game that was proven to be most enduring and successful by a wide margin - while adding in the new UT 2004 game types and wrapping it up in a modern user interface and server browser. It didn't seem all that complicated to me.
                    Last edited by WHIPperSNAPper; 06-29-2018, 05:51 PM.
                    UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

WHIPperSNAPper you are absolutely right,and to add to that ONS players were unhappy as well.

Comment

Do you have any idea what kinds of problems UT3 had and why it failed so hard? It had nothing at all to do with the game play.
                        I didnt say that the problem with the gameplay. The problem is that they did not add new features, and cut out the old ones.

Rather, the game was horribly consolized with an insulting user interface and server browser
                        Even if we compare the bot matches UT3 will not be any better.

Comment

MArS03
                          06-23-2018, 06:52 PM
                          this is not my native language, so I apologize for the mistakes. I do not even know what can be explained here, I just said it straight.

I think that developing a game with the community is a bad idea. the community does not have a single vision of what they want. the most that fans can do is tell their impressions of previous games.

Trying to recreate UT99 or UT2004 is also a bad idea. this will not attract new players, and not all old fans will approve of this
                          -----------

I'm sorry, what? If you don't even know how to explain your own opinions, you've got bigger problems. It is people like you who are the cancer of the community, because you have opinions and cannot articulate why you believe in them. Saying the community doesn't have a 'vision' is useless babble. The community is and always will be, regardless of game, a mixture of people with differing visions. The objective vision would be separating those who don't come from the series and sorting differences of opinion on those with immense experience in the game at a high level compared to those who don't and then allowing Epic to carry their own vision along with that. With that said, you have a community base that either aligns with 99 or 2k4, OR who are happy to work towards a happy middle ground that is balanced and takes from the pro's of each games strengths - which is what Epic has tried to do. But there have been some differences of opinion on a few key things and then also work on the game started to slow down. Since the beginning, Epic isn't trying to recreate one game or the other, and what you've said about that has been said a million times before anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper
                            Do you have any idea what kinds of problems UT3 had and why it failed so hard?
                            The graphics/art was a problem.

I've just spent the best part of an hour trying to find the level designer who postulated that UT3 led to a backlash amongst gamers due to the graphics. Their contention was essentially the screen was so full of rich and dense graphics (more of a showcase of UDK, hence why UDK was given with examples from UT3) that detracted from the game play.

Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post

The graphics/art was a problem.

I've just spent the best part of an hour trying to find the level designer who postulated that UT3 led to a backlash amongst gamers due to the graphics. Their contention was essentially the screen was so full of rich and dense graphics (more of a showcase of UDK, hence why UDK was given with examples from UT3) that detracted from the game play.

I agree, but its strange that the same art style did not hit the popularity of Gears of war.
                              Last edited by MArS03; 07-01-2018, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I agree, but its strange that the same art style did not hit the popularity of Gears of war.
                                That's not an FPS game.
                                Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                                X