Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Joe Wilcox still working on Unreal Tournament?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Joe Wilcox still working on Unreal Tournament?

I haven't seen him very active in awhile. I did read that his mother died last year sadly. My condolences Joe.

Looking at his linkedin profile, he seems to have stopped working for Epic Games at the end of last year.
    Seems confirmed by his portfolio at his website: http://www.digitalleprechaun.com/
    He is/was(?) a core developer for UT.
    Hope i'm wrong, but if so it's bad news for UT .

Comment

Good catch ШιητεЯ. It does explain the blackout some and I haven't seen WhiteGumby around neither.. I hope we're both wrong.
      Well this does paint a rather dark picture...
      Both emails failed to deliver
      Last edited by ÐutchSmºke; 07-04-2018, 07:58 PM. Reason: Message not delivered There was a problem delivering your messages

Comment

Mysterial appears to be gone as well. The twitter bio for his game development studio reads as follows:

"Independent video game developer started by a former long time Epic Games programmer, developing PC games with unique mechanics."

https://twitter.com/LaserGuidedGame/

If you look at his Twitter feed it was relatively quiet from May 2014 and picked up activity in August of 2017. Not a coincidence, methinks.

I wonder how many of the devs are still with Epic.

Comment

Assuming that stuff is all accurate, nice detective work.
          UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

I tried to know who was mysterial in Epic... Who is this guy/girl person or which is his real name?
            Seeing this cause me sadness I though this was a sort of Kit-kat moment for ut but those departures got me shocked
            Thinking now Epic is partially owned by tencent (I didn0t like this asian company who onws kinda 49% for the full stock at Epic Games), bad feelin do I have here...At least the Epic launcher is still active. The not official patch made by a nice guy for ut and his UE4 not being forbidden by epic maybe its an indicator that this project is only shelved for a while.
            Last edited by darksonny; 07-06-2018, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Mysterial is gone? That may take care of the rest of my hope for this game.
              Originally posted by Mysterial
              An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

How I could've forgotten about Tencent, thanks for the reminder of the 48.4% politricks darksonny. That was when alot of people left as well.
                After 3x it becomes a pattern.

Comment

I think it's kind of part and parcel with "Mysterial's" name, that he hasn't made his full name, or a picture public. I think I heard his first name was Matt. From what play test footage we had, and the game play ideas he posted on the forums, he seemed to be the most talented player on the dev team. From the looks of things now, really its only hope for raised skill ceilings. He probably still would have gotten out voted.
                  Originally posted by Mysterial
                  An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Both Joe Wilcox and Matt Oelfke's LinkedIn pages indicate that they haven't worked for Epic in years.
                    https://www.linkedin.com/in/joe-wilcox-12802a18/
                    https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-oelfke-924bbb4/

It seems more likely that they are independent contractors. Since UT is not actively being developed, their contracts are probably not being renewed. It's fun to believe they might be the sole skeleton crew maintaining the game in secret but I doubt it.
                    Last edited by Trev; 07-07-2018, 01:28 PM.
                    RoseBumRPG - UDK Converter - Grenade Launcher Prototype - Lightning Gun Prototype

Comment

We need some news, Epic...

Comment

Lots of people at Epic are technically "independent contractors". At least in NC. Neither of those guys say they work for Epic anymore which in the case of Joe is a good indication he does not. For Matt, who knows. He doesn't have a big online presence.

FWIW Joe updated his page more recently than December to say he isn't working at Epic anymore.
                        HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

The people that should be leading are not leading this endeavor, and its creating a domino effect. People are having a you don't care we don't care type of attitude. Rightly so because of the lack of direction from the higher up people on this project. With the independent contractor guys... to go by that phrase.. kind of spells out their role. No direction, no contracted work... No UT development. And that sucks.
                          Last edited by d33p_Sky; 07-09-2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Maybe you missed that development was intentionally halted? There is no direction because the game is not being worked on. At all, for the foreseeable future. It in all likelihood will not be picked up again. If it is then that's great, but it's pretty much done at this point. UTPugs and Absolute continue to make contributions and balancing decisions for our own communities and will as long as people are playing. We're continuing to develop this game in whatever capacity we have with our given manpower. You and everyone else are welcome to play on our servers and in our pickup games. We're making progress, but it's slow. We have full time jobs that aren't based around developing Unreal.
                            Come join us for pickup games http://ut4pugs.us

Comment

Matt Oelfke no longer works for Epic games. He started his own company Laser Guided Games. He does do contracted work here and there for them.
                              How do I know?
                              I'm his younger brother

Comment

Working...
                              X