Imagine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagine

I know the game is dead and there's so much to do everywhere, but it seems odd to me how much attention is given by the community to balance issues, gameplay, etc. without even a hint of mention for the biggest quality of life issue there is. It profoundly affects everyone's gaming experience in a way that dwarfs anything else. I'm talking about quick matches.

Since fortnite became popular, the player base has shifted to one that almost exclusively lives in quick matches, making it the only way to actually get a game. It's pretty **** limiting, but worse than that punishes everyone who participates with ridiculously unbalanced matches. It's practically impossible NOT to end up with one team shutting out the other because of the severe player skill mismatch.

So imagine if you will a world in which we had just this one simple change to quick match servers: A two-medal difference limit on new joins.

In other words, if an existing game has someone with a green rank in it, no gold ranked players may join or will be introduced via matchmaking - and vice versa. If the player base were larger, we could make it a one-medal difference limit. As long as there's an active, sizeable crossover, ELO ranking algorithms would remain coherent/linear across the entire skill range. I.e. even in tighter restrictions, a bronze will get matches with greens and (separately) with silvers, separating him from the furthest 2/5ths of skill level by only one degree.

The ranking system may be rudimentary at best, but it is absolutely good enough for this use. No green should spend his days getting instantly killed by golds, and no gold should have to team up with a green who runs around aimlessly with the flag, sabotaging the entire game.

How hard would this even be to implement? Forgetting validation for servers accepting new joins (and thus allowing this rule to be broken via party joins), would it even require a new release? Just update the matchmaking service to query servers for player roster, query player ranks, and exclude as appropriate. Heck, it could probably even be accomplished with a middleware service requiring no change to existing code (just need control over the network targets to displace existing service with proxy service).

If there is even anyone around who can (and is willing to) deploy the matchmaking changes, please contact me. I very likely can implement the changes myself, and my level of frustration with ****** matchmaking is more than sufficient to compel me to actually do so. There could even be a fallback after some point (like 30s) to unrestricted matchmaking...not that anyone actually playing would want it.

I would say the problem is making "quality of life" changes in a game that isn't alive.

At this point I'd rather them quick because of mismatches before they judge Epic or Unrealtournament on the current balance issues. If they leave early, they won't figure out how unplayable this game is.
    Originally posted by Mysterial
    An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Working...
    X