No announcement yet.

Should UT3 be revived? Vote!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic Should UT3 be revived? Vote!

Should UT3 be revived? Vote!

Go & vote! https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...ut3-be-revived

• replied
    Rumpled metal test 7. I've added a super weapon, the Dark Matter Cannon that pulls vehicles into the dark matter implosion!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HEDRumple View Post
    Over the years, UT evolved to include more variety by adding different game types, & vehicles. UT4 has gone backwards. UT2004 was what got me into playing UT mostly for the vehicle games VCTF & Onslaught. I'm not interested in playing DM or CTF, running around on foot is boring to me.
    The UT fanbois are more concerned about movement, scale, weapons, and the feel of the game play. I don't think any are opposed to Onslaught, Invasion RPG, and Bombing Run, all of which probably would have been huge hits in UT99. The lack of an Onslaught mode in UT4 is less about desire to include it and more about manpower.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I agree. I think the few people that were working on it bit off more than they can chew. Oh well. I never got excited about UT4 anyways when I heard how it was going to be done. At that point the community was so fractured I knew is was going to be a disaster. Which is more reason to enjoy something that is totally playable, modable, & has VEHICLES!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    And again you're reading into what they didn't do when in fact that only means they invested nothing of themselves into getting things done. The time frame you reference is irrelevant when they spent all that time doing virtually nothing anywhere in UT4. Yes, nothing has been added and that has absolutely nothing to do with the value placed on vehicle gametypes by anyone involved.

As to assets, the cart has definitely been placed well before the horse, and that certainly did help the project get nowhere. The reason for that is also simple and completely unrelated. While Epic was contributing little, they were also for the most part only accepting trival (asset) contributions in part (I assume) because they were the bulk of contributions offered. Those offerings were by a community working for free, so you can't blame them for chasing the shiny, interesting work that's also within their capabilities. Blitz is a major exception, but also predictable since Epic's control over core prevent contribution to planned, known gametypes and again offered more interesting work than just copying prior art.

To be fair, I should acknowledge that duel and showdown were to my knowledge Epic inventions and also a complete sideshow to building the actual game. I tend to completely forget about those two flaming lumps of refuse. So I guess you have a bit of a point. My point however is that vehicles are about as far removed from the rest of gameplay possible, such that there's no reason whatsoever to expect investment into that gameplay functionality when we don't even have workable netcode or movement. That last one is the kind of thing that blocks (or at least should block) even making final non-vehicle maps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's been how many years & nothing has been added. If they had added just basic vehicle code we could have at least had VCTF. Of coarse DM would have to be first since everything is based on it. I would worry about player & weapon skins last. Get the core of the game working FIRST. They already had weapons models from UT3 to use as placeholders until all of the base code was working properly & save the cosmetic stuff for last. It's like designing a car. Would you worry about all the cosmetic features of the car before designing the functionality of it? You can't frost a cake until you bake it first.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    1: "I fully understand that starting over means you start from scratch."
    2: "The game is just DM & CTF"

Do you? Do you really understand that starting over means NOT having in an unfinished prototype what other FINISHED games have? That UT4 will never be finished and probably never be more than it is now is completely moot. It is precisely because "the game" doesn't even exist that all discussion of what it does and does not currently have is rendered nonsensical.

What gametypes would you start with, and why? DM is the foundation, and CTF only a small step beyond it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How long has it been since there has been any updates? Any word from the devs? If you think UT4 will ever be anything more than it is right now you're sadly mistaken. You misunderstand about the backwards part. I fully understand that starting over means you start from scratch. By going backwards I mean that the game is just DM & CTF. Hell even UT3 had much less content & game types than UT2004.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't understand how you can start over and somehow expect NOT to have gone backwards. That's literally what starting over is. Getting all those gametypes and gameplay elements is a long game, not rejected but way out of scope for now when we can't even deliver the basics.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    They had plenty of time to get core parts of the game working, but squandered their time on fancy weapon, & player models.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Epic did plan to have vehicles and an Onslaught mode or something similar. It wasn't that they were catering the game to "UT99 fanbois", they just never got around to it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...-rumpled-metal

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Over the years, UT evolved to include more variety by adding different game types, & vehicles. UT4 has gone backwards. UT2004 was what got me into playing UT mostly for the vehicle games VCTF & Onslaught. I'm not interested in playing DM or CTF, running around on foot is boring to me. I want big maps with vehicles & a more strategic type of game play which UT2004 & UT3 offered. UT4 offers me nothing but empty promises that were never fulfilled. Why should I play a newer version of the game that doesn't have what I like? If I wanted to play DM I'd play more polished games like Doom or Quake. I had a blast playing UT3. It has something for everyone & is easy to mod. I spent 11 years developing mods & map for our server & I have a bunch of stuff I never finished either due to not having the time or lack of interest. I've picked up my unfinished Rumpled Metal mod one, for my own enjoyment & two to make something that other people could enjoy playing. It's all about the community which sad to say is nearly gone thanks partly to UT3 disastrous release & mostly to Epic's failure that is UT4. It's sad to see the state of what used to be one of the biggest online gaming communities has become. I wish things could go back to the way they were 10 years ago when there were thousands of active players & content creators. I think a revival of a game that thousands of people loved would do wonders for the nearly dead community.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HEDRumple View Post
    UT4 just catered to the UT99 fanbois.
    Not really. It's not the same as UT99-2. UT4 isn't bad, but yhe movement, scale, and feel are still different as are the weapons and the shock combo doesn't feel right.

UT99 was, by far, the most successful game of the UT series in terms of online player counts, clan match, and IRC-organized PUG match activity, so it would make sense to try to aim for game play closer to it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I also think that the game should go forward. I really liked UT 3, but they should finish 4. Right now I think 3 is better. I was playing it the other day and really miss the movement, weapon balance and configuration, and sound on the game. UT 4's problems seem minor, but I am not a software developer. With that being said, I think UT 4 is dead from a development stand point, but hopefully they will keep the servers up so we can still play!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X