Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did only the UT 2003 and 2004 really grasp on to the "tournament" concept?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did only the UT 2003 and 2004 really grasp on to the "tournament" concept?

A perfect example is the U2003 intro (probably still one of the best intros for any video game ever). UT1 also has an intro, but definitely not as good. UT2004 intro is not good and UT3 is just multiplayer modes forced into a story campaign. The new UT is probably going to be only multiplayer.

There are so many things that could have been expanded upon. Advanced team management, training your team members, trading players with other teams, drafts, elimination tournaments, lineups, rosters and so much more. Think in the veins of NHL 2002. How cool would it be to be able to play a 10 season career mode with your team? Ability to create new players, brackets, custom tournaments, leaderboards, play-offs in the best of X format. You know, like a real sports event that the word "tournament" implies? With you as a team captain/manager, taking part directly in the games, planning strategies before games, setting attack paths and defense positions before the match.

I was thinking about this 10 years ago and this thought is still in the back of my mind. I still think it would be a great concept for a game, especially from the UT universe.

First all, the UT2003 intro was one of the most cringe worthy intros ever. UT99 probably had the best because it actually gave the back story and didnt make UT look like some fake WWE video game. Secondly, i totally agree that the tournament aspect of the game is completely missing. I would love to have characters that you can build/develop stats and skills for.
    PayBack
    Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
    Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
    UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
    UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

Super convincing functionality.
      Extremely polpular bachground.
      Online player community.
      Last edited by Kaal979; 08-21-2018, 07:20 PM.
      GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

The UT2003 intro may be considered cringeworthy by some but to me, it is 100% the one that gets me hyped up the most and it also perfectly sells the main point. That it is just a sport like any other. Commercialized, with teams and individual competitors having dedicated fanbases, professional commentators and such. And why wouldn't the best teams put on a show for their audience? They can afford to do that before entering a match. Of course not every match has these epic entrances for teams, but for a final match in the season, the WWE entrance, as you say it, fits perfectly. Any finals in any sports event are usually made special.

Yes, UT 1 gave you the backstory. But it was just exposition. The games that came after no longer have to establish that it has basically become a regular bloody sport that was extremely successful with the public. And if someone asked me what I think about the UT1 intro, it would be a big MEH...

UT2004 intro is just a hodgepodge of uninteresting.

Comment

I do agree that the single player with more advanced "manager" attributes would have been really good for the single player model. UT2K3 had some progression on UT99, but it could definitely go further.

The bots need a bit of an intelligence upgrade though now
          Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Originally posted by PayBack View Post
            First all, the UT2003 intro was one of the most cringe worthy intros ever. UT99 probably had the best because it actually gave the back story and didnt make UT look like some fake WWE video game. Secondly, i totally agree that the tournament aspect of the game is completely missing. I would love to have characters that you can build/develop stats and skills for.
            Yes, what he said! The UT2 single player was awsome. I agree, adding the enhancement of building your own competitive team and "stuff" would make the single player even more awsome. You need a reason, a hook, for the offline players to play the game . Most players first online experience is typically not great. Having a great single player, keeps players interested long enough for them to learn how to play.
            Weekly Warfare Matches. We play every Fri and Sat 12:00 Midnight to 04:00 AM, US East Coast Time, GMT -5 hrs, EPIC North America Warfare #2

Comment

Thats very true - still today im proud to call myself "Adept" ranked after beating UT99
              - but did give up UT2k4s ladder after "ungodlike" feelings during the Bombing Run competition!
              GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Working...
              X