Rude players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rude players

Over the last few months, I have noticed an increase in the number of rude players on UT4. Over the past few weeks alone, I have been kicked off servers, mostly with no explanation or warning. Not always though. Just now I joined a CTF match on the Promode server, and was immediately told to leave. This was during warmup and I was not not chatting or doing anything except getting a feel for the map. The player who hosted the games name was K.r.y.p.T. That is right, I am going to to call out those who do this. If you want to start a match, but do not want anybody else to join, make the match private. That is what that is there for. A few days ago, I was voted to be kicked from another game because I was not playing well, and the team I was on was getting clobbered. I was not kicked, but the other players on my team were not playing much better than myself, and it was pretty hypocritical to single me out. There is another player named Prometheus that constantly whines about other players cheating when he is losing. I lose all the time, so I guess that explains it. Everybody but me is cheating! ;p). Anyways, if you are going to play, please be an adult about it. Most people I play with are great sports, and the amount of people playing this game that are rude are very few, but the number seems to be increasing and I just had to vent! Have a good evening!

I'm not going to defend rudeness, but if you get kicked you shouldn't take it personally. The current state of matchmaking (no consideration of rank whatsoever, team switching disabled, and no browsing of quick match games) combined with the shortage of players makes it impossible to have a fun, competitive, even remotely balanced match when players who are grossly outmatched refuse to quit.

In particular, from roughly late June to mid-August, Blitz games were constantly inundated with players who: joined just to sit AFK: had 1s+ pings; exclusively camped in Blitz attacker base just waiting to waste the redeemer; or wantered around aimlessly, never managing to so much as tag someone else's kill for several rounds but still taking all the guns. Then there's the non-communicating players who must be the flag runner and relentlessly dump it straight into choke points without ever rallying... It's incredibly frustrating to lose against opponents with half your skill because you're so thoroughly sabotaged by allies with negative skill.

Now that this wave of idiocy has passed, the aggressive, frustrated response to less skilled players should also subside. But please remember: there usually aren't enough veterans around to even half-fill a match (also making private/hub games a non-starter), but there are lots of players just kicking the tires, finding their sea legs, or maintaining a respectable but casual skill level. It's way easier for players in the latter category to find another enjoyable match. Veterans, on the other hand, have to cultivate one. And doing so often takes place over the course of several games as they try to exhaust the outmatched or barely-participating players who won't leave, and aren't getting kicked because too few people know how or have reached the point of understanding why it's necessary. By the time a vet enjoys one good match, they's been playing for 2 hours and is spent.

Playing for fun shouldn't require so **** much work. I apologize if I'm one of the players who's gotten cranky with you, but there you have it. The rudness isn't coming from nowhere and it can be helped with more considerate participation in team games.
    Last edited by HonoredMule; 09-09-2018, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Oh and yeah, Prometheus is a moron. Str8Whiskey (maybe spelled wrong) is another: any time one of us joins a match with the other in it, they immediately announces that I am a cheater and votes to kick me, leaving if the vote gets no traction. Thing is, from my perspective (as per my reply above), ragequitting is very much a good and right thing to do. :P

Comment

Originally posted by HonoredMule View Post
        I'm not going to defend rudeness, but if you get kicked you shouldn't take it personally. The current state of matchmaking (no consideration of rank whatsoever, team switching disabled, and no browsing of quick match games) combined with the shortage of players makes it impossible to have a fun, competitive, even remotely balanced match when players who are grossly outmatched refuse to quit.

In particular, from roughly late June to mid-August, Blitz games were constantly inundated with players who: joined just to sit AFK: had 1s+ pings; exclusively camped in Blitz attacker base just waiting to waste the redeemer; or wantered around aimlessly, never managing to so much as tag someone else's kill for several rounds but still taking all the guns. Then there's the non-communicating players who must be the flag runner and relentlessly dump it straight into choke points without ever rallying... It's incredibly frustrating to lose against opponents with half your skill because you're so thoroughly sabotaged by allies with negative skill.

Now that this wave of idiocy has passed, the aggressive, frustrated response to less skilled players should also subside. But please remember: there usually aren't enough veterans around to even half-fill a match (also making private/hub games a non-starter), but there are lots of players just kicking the tires, finding their sea legs, or maintaining a respectable but casual skill level. It's way easier for players in the latter category to find another enjoyable match. Veterans, on the other hand, have to cultivate one. And doing so often takes place over the course of several games as they try to exhaust the outmatched or barely-participating players who won't leave, and aren't getting kicked because too few people know how or have reached the point of understanding why it's necessary. By the time a vet enjoys one good match, they's been playing for 2 hours and is spent.

Playing for fun shouldn't require so **** much work. I apologize if I'm one of the players who's gotten cranky with you, but there you have it. The rudness isn't coming from nowhere and it can be helped with more considerate participation in team games.

Thank you for your response, and these are all points well taken. I have also played games like this where some players would do some of the things you mention. Those players are just trying to be disruptive and I will agree with you. What about the not so skillful players who are trying to become better? We all had had to start somewhere. I am not a rookie player, but am just not very good at multiplayer games. Some players have even given me tips and tried to help me out. I am not perfect by any means. There have been a few games where it seems like all I do is get instantly killed after respawning and before you know it, I am down by 10 points without a kill in my name. Even though I am not a very competitive person, I still get frustrated and sometimes will screw around a bit just to relieve boredom or tension in these games. But I would never start calling people childish names or kick them because they did not meet my standards. I normally do not quit though, even when I am getting my **** kicked. You will never get any better if you constantly do that. I did leave the match where I was kick voted due to not playing well, and will leave if I am nicely asked and at least given a reason. In the the match I was kicked from yesterday, one player was trying to explain why I was being kicked, and I did not understand it. Before I could reply further, however, boom! I was gone. Anyhow, I will take what you said into consideration, and no, you have not been one of the players that has got cranky with me! ;p).

Comment

If you are genuinely trying to play well for your team, and in particular listening to advice offered, I would almost certainly not vote to kick you or ask you to leave. The exception is when the skill difference is at extremes (i.e. you can't even tag someone with a stray spam shot), in which case we'd both be much better served if you found almost any other game.

I'm actually surprised people are kicking you that readily, as my experience has been more that even some veterans won't support kick votes while it's not their team being hurt, making 50% a hard threshold to reach.

A couple people have even asked me to write up a Blitz strategy guide and I have been quite remiss in as yet not doing so. This serves as a strong reminder that there are players out there who will improve more given the opportunities, which would be better for all of us but especially for veterans and regulars. The past few months have been demoralizing, but it is time to start cultivating players again.

Comment

Krypt probably kicked you because the game was a PUG.
            Former Console UT3 Player on Xbox 360 & PS3
            Current UT4 Player
            Known as phantaci.
            UT Theme Song:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C9Sh-wcy7s

Comment

Krypt is a referee in UT4pugs.com NA pugging community. You joined an organized match that already had 10 players, they were waiting for the rest of the players to join in order to start, something you were preventing. They asked you to leave several times informing you of this, you did not leave so you were kicked. Setting matches to private is a pain in the *** when you can only invite friends, that is not an easily workable solution in a large community.
              Last edited by PayBack; 09-11-2018, 12:33 PM.
              PayBack
              Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
              Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
              UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
              UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

We do not want to set a password for the entire hub because we want to contribute to the community and allow people to play public matches. You cannot set passwords for individual instances/games either. It would be a nightmare trying to add everyone to your friends list to join the game by setting it private. This much is the fault of the game and UI. The most we can do is ask people to leave and explain that it is a pickup game with pre-selected teams from discord. Many times people do not leave, which means we cannot get all 10 players into the server. So we kick them. This actually happens all of the time and most of the time people will understand.

You're welcome to go to check out our site or discord and join us for a pickup game. We get on voice together and pre-select teams to make fair games.

https://discord.gg/BbPPCBx
                Come join us for pickup games http://ut4pugs.us

Comment

Hi Gonad McNuttles, I want to let you know that I didn't kick you from the game, another Ref of utpugs who goes by the name of "xios" did. I was just the one who started the game. If you wanna play some pugs with us, then come join our discord. The link to it is at https://ut4pugs.us

Comment

No worries everybody. I saw the message that the game was a pug, but did not know what that was at the time. Somebody may have responded to explain it, but I cannot see half of my incoming messages due to the fact they are hidden under the gray bar at the bottom of the screen. Then everything went black on my screen, and I got the dreaded "banned" message. I appreciate all of your responses to my rant!

Comment

Your PUG one is settled, but I also don't like it when people kick vote out newer players. It's a really horrible thing to be the player kicked out when you're just trying to learn the game and doesn't help with growing the community size!

Part of that, though, is that the facilities aren't there to help sort issues out, e.g. sometimes swapping the newer player with somebody else can help balance it, but often the newer player has no idea how to swap or is so focused they can't see that they're being asked to swap. A tool to auto-balance or vote-swap people would help.

As for the abusive players, there's not too many of them about fortunately (at least in the EU) and you're less likely to get anything done about them than the other two issues! If your other players are experienced enough they'll vote kick them out.
                      Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Working...
                      X