Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who believe that development UT4 is continue in 2019?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Optimistic" implies that I'm guessing. It's a direct quote.

Now if the implication is that they are lying when they say that, it is still basically their go to/default move. So if they don't have something more lucrative, then it's a safe assumption it's back to UT. Especially if they need something to advertise the next iteration of the engine, which is what it's mostly always been about. The engine enabling them to make a game they are passionate about, even if it doesn't turn CoD numbers, since they make up the difference licensing the engine.

If I'm being optimistic about anything it's staying hopeful that they know UT can't maintain its identity, and have mass appeal. That they never sell the soul of UT to try to make Fortnite bucks on the wrong IP. Even with that said, I feel like the heat in that pot of water has been slowly increasing, so the frog hasn't gotten uncomfortable enough to jump out yet.
    Originally posted by Mysterial
    An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Originally posted by nubizZz View Post
      "Optimistic" implies that I'm guessing. It's a direct quote.

Now if the implication is that they are lying when they say that, it is still basically their go to/default move. So if they don't have something more lucrative, then it's a safe assumption it's back to UT. Especially if they need something to advertise the next iteration of the engine, which is what it's mostly always been about. The engine enabling them to make a game they are passionate about, even if it doesn't turn CoD numbers, since they make up the difference licensing the engine.

If I'm being optimistic about anything it's staying hopeful that they know UT can't maintain its identity, and have mass appeal. That they never sell the soul of UT to try to make Fortnite bucks on the wrong IP. Even with that said, I feel like the heat in that pot of water has been slowly increasing, so the frog hasn't gotten uncomfortable enough to jump out yet.
      I guess I expressed myself too obtusely in my previous post. The point is having "passion," vague as that term is, is a necessary but not sufficient condition. That should be apparent given that work on this game isn't continuing and won't for the foreseeable future. The optimism is that the landscape is going to change in the next few years such that Unreal Tournament, as currently envisioned, is more viable. Realistically it probably never comes around again based on the market and the state of Epic and their objectives. Niche titles are for independent developers.
      Join Project: Open Tournament: Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post

I guess I expressed myself too obtusely in my previous post. The point is having "passion," vague as that term is, is a necessary but not sufficient condition. That should be apparent given that work on this game isn't continuing and won't for the foreseeable future. The optimism is that the landscape is going to change in the next few years such that Unreal Tournament, as currently envisioned, is more viable. Realistically it probably never comes around again based on the market and the state of Epic and their objectives. Niche titles are for independent developers.
        Bingo. Epic doesnt get to do the products they want to do anymore, they do the products they have to do. As fortnites popularity eventually starts to decline, so will the revenue stream. People more concerned about money than anything else will soon be frustrated that the monthly piles of cash are getting smaller. While Tim Sweeney still owns the controlling interest in Epic, I cant see him sticking around once the Fortnite money runs dry. He was rich before fortnite, hes insanely rich now and if he sells the rest of Epic while its still ******* money he will get mind boggling rich.
        PayBack

Comment

Everyone has the choice to walk the left hand path.
          An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Maybe the guy who did Kung fury should make a UT movie That would get all the attention we need. But like someone said above, crowdfunding sounds really good

Comment

Unfortunately many people mistook the UT4 project as a major Epic project and a big deal for them.
              Right up til suddenly changing their minds they were not planning another UT as it did not seem financially much of a winner.
              UT4 only happened because enough Epic devs had a personal love for UT and the spare time to work on a community based project.
              The only way UT4 would happen was as a free game done for for the hell of it.

Fortnite launched and was well received, but when the Battle Royal mod was introduced, things just exploded.
              You can't blame Epic for pulling the devs from a free project to concentrate on something that they were not quite prepared for.
              They could have hired more devs maybe, but why? when some of the best devs are fiddling about with no end in sight, on something they wont make much money from anyway, and are only doing to please a few loyal UT fans.

Epic don't owe us anything. They made UT several times already, and made it in a way we get to extend and improve it.
              UT4 is no different. It may be unfinished but it is still moddable and can be whatever you want.
              Unlike the previous versions you have to make a lot more of the underlaying mechanics that are not yet added. Vehicle game types could be added, but the community has to do it instead.
              Who wants a UT99 FOOD FIGHT ?

Comment

[QUOTE="
                UT4 is no different. It may be unfinished but it is still moddable and can be whatever you want.
                Unlike the previous versions you have to make a lot more of the underlaying mechanics that are not yet added. Vehicle game types could be added, but the community has to do it instead.[/QUOTE]

Don't the modders have to have the up to date GitHub release for this?

Comment

People are sounding like a broken record with this "the community must finish the game". The community cannot fix the fundamental flaws in gameplay like the netcode/pingcomp/server issues. Adding more content to a fundamentally flawed game? What's that supposed to do?

It's been so long now that epic would need to start over and build from the ground up with COMPETENT devs, so basically when pigs fly.

Comment

This is a broken record. It is obvious they are not going to do anything else with the game. Just be glad the servers are still up and we can still play!

Comment

I agree with Gonad. Actually, I am surprised at how many of us still frequent this forum.

Comment

I heard employees Epic Tencent Games retired temporarily just for two weeks. So I'm afraid they are taking break of updating Fortnite Battle Royale only.
                        Last edited by Gamerz31w; 06-24-2019, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't call any of the activity on these forums "frequent."

It's also pretty obvious as to why there is any activity on these forums, and that is because the opinion that this game is "playable," or maybe more accurately, what defines "playable" in terms of a mid-development game, are not opinions shared by everyone.

I post infrequently, and post more than I play (uninstalled), because I don't see this game as playable. The netcode is terrible, the lack of optimization essentially requires a video card and monitor setup in price league with a used car (to be at all competitive), and most of the game mechanics are entirely dated. The community is left to produce custom content for, and attempt to tweak balance a game that lacks solid core fundamentals. Somewhere between the power of nostalgia, the raw cool factor draw of "The ASMD Shock Rifleā„¢," and just generally low education and thus expectations on game mechanics and development has managed to keep a core audience of already die hard fans holding on to the dream of a sequel to their favorite game, which consequently was probably UT99 OR 2kx, and not both.

Anything fresh and new brought to this iteration only got as far as the movement, which was designed around a half-hearted scaling effort stifled by efficacy of hit scans (larger player scaling making for easier to hit targets), combined with acceleration and deceleration values that reduce the previously very snappy and responsive movement in an attempt to reduce rubberbanding in a very interpolation heavy netcode model in hopes to compensate lag for more than hit scans. The very same netcode model that is limiting the scaling so that the apparently core shooting mechanics are still at all challenging, so that the netcode can consistently level the playing field for the simplest shooting mechanics.

It's basically a series of self contradicting events sabotaging the game intrinsically and systemically just to maintain the players ability to click on things. In a game that separates it self from most other shooters by having a majority of show moving projectile weapons which have the inherent counter play of being able to be dodged reactively. So instead of embracing one of the core things that gave it it's identity, complemented by an iconic movement mechanic that contributed to that same identity, they are warping and changing core aspects of the game to appeal to the basic shooting mechanic that every other shooter out now revolves around.

Comment

I don't believe the situation is going to change this year.
                            But I have the feeling there will be a slim possibility in 2-5 years, when there will be new shooter games to show EPIC how actually a next-gen UT can be done in a market so drastically different from 1990s to 2000s.

To me, this UT4 has still been trying to relive the old glory days by sticking to the arena shooter tradition. That's a good thing to us old gamers but the world nowdays needs more than that.

Also, it is probably better to use "Unreal" as the IP instead of "Unreal Tournament" for anything that's going to be new and fresh.

Just imagine:
                            Unreal, online, competitive, game modes, seasonal, fame, show, exotic worlds, arena, platform...

There could be more and modern and we will see what games to prove that one day.
                            [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

Comment

I so hope that you are right on that chonglee. 12 years already since weve had a full release UNREAL game. It is such an incredible and diverse universe that should NOT be ignored by EPIC. My number 1 game of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by nubizZz View Post
                                I wouldn't call any of the activity on these forums "frequent."

I post infrequently, and post more than I play (uninstalled), because I don't see this game as playable. The netcode is terrible, the lack of optimization essentially requires a video card and monitor setup in price league with a used car (to be at all competitive), and most of the game mechanics are entirely dated.
                                That's odd, runs perfect on my ancient PC with a 9600GT, that's like 10 years old. I mostly however play it on my a Vega 10 ryzen 3700u based laptop mostly, due to portability. A integrated card runs the game in medium but even at low settings the game looks great to me. Idk, always felt UT series was never heavy on the GPU's.

Loving the game online! Got a bunch of buddies on board and everyone enjoying it. It's the first of the series that works online for me with no lag per se, ping of 150 at times, but I don't feel it at all. Fun, fun, fun! and the VOIP in games makes it more fun with friends, did not know it had that until a two weeks ago lol

Comment

Working...
                                X