Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets make Open UT!?

I can some modelling)

Send me a PM, I would like to get an artist working on OT.
    Join Project: Open Tournament: Discord | YouTube

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

From the past months i have been hearing about this, what is OT? Some community made UT or something?

Comment

I can't really contribute but you'll have my attention and encouragement. It's not like there's anywhere else to go. I tried Apex Legends this weekend, but no amount of polish can fix the basic formula that is BR: a high-stress mostly-random-outcome scavenger hunt with way too little action, way too much visual complexity, and a mountain of gibberish gear that couldn't interest me less. The whole experience just leaves me that much more confused on how anyone can consider UT too complicated or hard to learn.

Comment

Open Tournament (OT) is basically what I've been calling an attempt to develop a truly community-driven game that's a spiritual successor to Unreal Tournament.
          It's clear there's a committed playerbase for Unreal Tournament games, but for various reasons it doesn't make sense for Epic to directly dedicate resources to developing a game for these players. There was already such a project in progress in 2014 which was abandoned when Epic announced their own attempt with the new UT, but here we are five years later acting as if Epic is the only hope for us. Why not take destiny into our own hands and just make the game we all want?
          Last edited by Wail; 02-09-2019, 10:46 PM.

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

well the first step would be to make a server browser, main menu and dedicated server working
            then you can build the movement character weapons maps and gamemodes
            Projects: UT4BombingRun | UTCC wiki

Comment

I am aware of the projects that were underway when Epic first announced, and really wish they'd just left it alone. I have no doubt we'd be a lot further along if those other efforts hadn't been either scared into pivoting away from a spiritual UT successor or their talent subsumed by UT4.

It's clear by this point that the only Epic influence anyone should worry about is the threat of IP infringement lawsuits. Certainly nothing else they do will matter.
              Last edited by HonoredMule; 02-10-2019, 02:39 PM.

Comment

https://sourceforge.net/projects/communityot/
                Who wants a UT99 FOOD FIGHT ?

Comment

For a fun historical reference, here's a link to the original OT that started when UE4 came out: https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...ment-pre-alpha
                  Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Why sourceforge? Can't we just fork existing state of development on github?

Comment

This is why UT4 was just poison in the well. We can't use any assets or code developed under Epic's umbrella - including those contributed to UT4.

Comment

Originally posted by wsf View Post
                        Why sourceforge? Can't we just fork existing state of development on github?

That is an old repo and is no longer being maintained or contributed to.
                        However no, the GitHub fork of UT can't be used due to the licensing agreement.

I have a private repo I have been using for developing OT (or whatever it would be called), but it's not in a state where it'd be worth trying to show anything off. Long term there are other problems to consider. GitHub seems to have a 1GB filesize limit on free plans, and in general Git is a poor option for Unreal projects due to the large number of binary files. I've been mulling this over for awhile and there really isn't a great low-cost solution to bootstrap things. If anyone has ideas I wouldn't mind discussing them further.

Comment

Why would there be a lot of binary files in the source? Shouldn't they be dependencies or build artifacts? That said, the volume of raw/source media assets does still pose the same problems. Perhaps a self-hosted GitLab instance would help. The Community Edition supports Git LFS and to my knowledge does not restrict project size.

Comment

Originally posted by HonoredMule View Post
                            Why would there be a lot of binary files in the source? Shouldn't they be dependencies or build artifacts? That said, the volume of raw/source media assets does still pose the same problems. Perhaps a self-hosted GitLab instance would help. The Community Edition supports Git LFS and to my knowledge does not restrict project size.

I think Git would work okay for pure source, but UE4 necessarily is going to have a lot of blueprints which may have non-trivial logic in them. I'm currently using GitLab (hosted on their servers) but I've actually already had to start deleting art assets. The self-hosted option may work, I haven't really investigated it that thoroughly due to various other preoccuptions. Maybe after making some more development progress it will be worth devoting some thought to.

Comment

So the the first things is:
                              1) Where to host source
                              2) Where to build it
                              3) How to distribute builds, because no one interested in building it. There's should be smth like auto-updater which updates client after connect.
                              4) Where is to discuss development process/etc
                              Gitlab can cover some parts of this, mostly the parts that related to coding. But, anyway process need some build-machines and storage for gitlab itself (not sure if SaaS gitlab can be useful here)

Comment

Working...
                              X