Penetrator rounds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penetrator rounds

What ammo can go through an opponent and do damage to a second opponent that is behind the first opponent.

I recall in 2k4 when I got 2 head shots with one lightning round. Awesome! In UT4 it looked like I took out two opponents with one shock primary. Was I imagining that?

But I seem to be doing enormous damage at times with stinger secondary. Do the shards go through your opponent and keep going?

Stinger Minigun alt fire shards explode on proxcimity so they can hit multiple targets.

Comment

I pushed for this with the original stinger alt, but it never caught on. Now it throws low damage school buses at people.

Nothing in UT has ever done this. Even the LtG in 2kx would just "arc" to another near by target in a radius. It didn't continue through in a straight line, it could turn I think up to 359ยบ, the 2nd target just had to be close to the first, and the "child bolt" a they were called would do 35 damage to the next target.
      Originally posted by Mysterial
      An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

There was a UT'99 mutator which allowed the InstaGib rifle shots to pass through bodies.

It was awesome.

Comment

I guess the two head shots were a fluke then. It did happen and yes they were close together. I would have swore in UT4 I got two kills with one shock primary.

When a bunch of opponents gather around the delivery point in blitz to defend it while my flag carrier is incoming, I spray the stinger shards from a distance and it seems like I'm getting multiple hits with a single shard.

HM that makes sense kind of. If you are skilled enough to line up two opponents you should get rewarded since the IG rifle is a hitscan and not a splash weapon.

Comment

You probably are getting multiple hits with a single shard. The projectile collision on that thing is huge.
            An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

It's very satisfying to run UT'99 team matches of you vs some ridiculous number of bots and then mow them down with passthrough IG. :P

I wouldn't be surprised if you did (sometimes) get two hits with current shock. What with the netcode being so broken that shock balls can get duplicated and then primary can combo on both simultaneously, it could be a fairly similar glitch.

Comment

Actually, now that I think about it, the current shock primary might pass through, and I don't think it's intentional. It definitely passes through cores as it lights them up for combos. I've seen many kills had, or hits had by popping a combo in a straight line to the target, but early, so no combo damage, but the beam still lands.

Comment

Originally posted by HonoredMule View Post
                  It's very satisfying to run UT'99 team matches of you vs some ridiculous number of bots and then mow them down with passthrough IG. :P

I wouldn't be surprised if you did (sometimes) get two hits with current shock. What with the netcode being so broken that shock balls can get duplicated and then primary can combo on both simultaneously, it could be a fairly similar glitch.
                  It there a video of duplicate shock comobo?

Comment

What weapon style would be most fun for penetrator rounds? At first, I was thinking lightning gun, which already propgates hits, but maybe Zark styles would be more appropriate?

Comment

I thought the mini2 was perfect. Keep it projectile, but instead of splash damage to compensate for the difficulty of leading, give it a different axis of crowd control capability, specific to long corridors, or tight lines of enemies.

A rail type weapon works, but as seen in quake it's utility is very limited, and usually feels either lucky or extremely positional, and really only isn't OP for the same reason it isn't seen much, which is the very justified rail cool down. Something that UT's sniper weapons have sorely lacked.

Comment

Unreal Gladiator there probably is somewhere. It's of course very random so hard to capture, and I think it even doesn't show up in replays.

Comment

Working...
                        X