Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Tournament

Hey Everyone,

Things are mostly tumbleweed in these parts recently, owing to the fact that UT4 hasn't seen meaningful development for more than 4 years now, but it seems appropriate to have a thread here discussing Open Tournament.

Open Tournament is a brand-new game being built from the ground up to act as a spiritual successor to the Unreal & Unreal Tournament series of games. This is a long journey that we're embarking on, but we hope UT fans will be interested in following us.as we build a game together that follows in the footsteps of this great series.

Here's our first development log, with some more information about the project & the game we're making.

Our second video showcases some of our work-in-progress weapon models!

Last edited by Wail; 06-17-2020, 01:44 PM.
    Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Well no offense, but this fangame project is more like open source. Am I wrong if people like me are thinking that spiritual successors are usually new indie games inspired by gameplay of old indie games? Sorry for lecturing you anyway.

Comment

Well, as far as I know UT4 is open source. Even if I agree that it is a weird twisted vision of what open source should be. A lot of successful software are also open source. I don't know what cellphone you're using but there are 100% chances that the OS it runs or large amount of apps on it are open source. There are good reasons if M$, Apple, Google and other big companies are investing in open source, if you don't see them, they do. If there is a bug, fans will look at it and try to solve it when for long time big companies didn't even bother. Anyway, it was rewritten in next release. Now, they seem to care. In fact, lot opened their sources so fans can fix bugs for them.

You can't complain everywhere on the forum that Epic's leaders are to blame for the actual state of the game and in same time bashing a project developed by people who don't have to answer to them. If you think people are more skilled because they are paid, you're wrong, it's the opposite. A lot of devs are investing their free time in such projects and I don't think that they don't lose magically their skills leaving their office. Some of Epics developers are fans themselves and since Epic dropped the ball, they may be interested in participating to that kind of project on their free time, if they are allowed to. People behind this project being fans, there's a good chance that they will catch the spirit and the atmosphere that are particular to Unreal even if they can't use patented assets for legal reasons,

Also if the fan base follows, amazing things happen. Never heard of Haiku? It's a project started by BeOS fans, it took them 20 years to recreate a whole operating system. The project has survived to years, to people leaving the boat for different reasons but now, they have something usable. It is far form perfect, it misses some important features, yet it exists and slowly grows. I don't think recreating a game will take as long. Most of content on whole Unreal series has been made by fans, it has only to be ported.
      It will certainly take time to start but bases are already existing. If they can provide something that work and is enjoyable to play in the next two years, they will catch interest of players, developers and mappers. And in my opinion, happy fans are best at promoting a game than a crappy tv commercial.
      No offence, but to me you're not really an Unreal fan but someone disappointed by Epic's attitude. If you prefer playing games that are developed by big companies go play Valorant or something else, I don't mind.
      Personally, I fell in love with Unreal when the first adventure went out, I like that atmosphere and if what these guys are making can remind me that feeling, I will play it. I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in this case.

Comment

Hey everyone! Additional development update here. We have some really cool prototype weapon models created by Mogno. Check it out and let us know what you think!

Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

I believe in you guys. Even if Epic Games don't believe and don't care about Unreal Tournament(stopped updating and supporting forth installment series anymore(not caring about it at all)(being pessimistic about it). I'm counting on you fellows. Even if Epic Games are not counting on you).
          Last edited by Gamerz31w; 07-03-2020, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X