Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boy, do I miss the days when this was in development (Nostalgia & Wishful Thinking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy, do I miss the days when this was in development (Nostalgia & Wishful Thinking)

Just wanted to share some nostalgia.

I still remember the very first Twitch stream when the game was announced; I stepped out of a business lunch abroad with laser-focused eyes watching the team announce the game being revived.
    The game and its development progress essentially replaced the rest of the internet for me, and I spent sleepless nights browsing these forums, and have watched the majority of the dev update streams with a passion, laughing with their jokes and clamoring for the next reveal. I even won an Unreal Engine mouse in one of the streams too.

I recall the first build that introduced the then-innovative UE4 particle effects I've been anxiously waiting for when the Shock Rifle fired.

I remember firing the new Flak Cannon model all over the place just to get more of those sweet animations.

I ended up designing concept art for the new in-game menu (eventually adapted into the game, for the most part) and writing the DDUT4 Server Deployment Suite, which (I guess) got me the UT Concepter status at the time. These forums were alive with a late-90s/early-2000s vibe, something that doesn't happen too often these days. People were spewing content all over the place, just to get their all-time-favorite game that healthy push.

These days I keep jumping into these forums every now and then, hoping to see some good news. I just hope we can go back to debating movement blueprints and help design the best pure-skill shooter ever made, with the most versatile, monetization-free and community-friendly platform that made games like the original UT, UT2K4 and UT3 live on for so long and have so many different servers and customization options while still sharing the same culture. With Fortnite killing this game, and Apex Legends destroying the game I thought could replace it (Titanfall 2), I have no game to call home.

I guess I'm getting this nostalgic because I just watched Free Guy and wanted to come back to my own familiar world.. But LavaGiant without any players is just an old 3D wasteland at this point

Feel free to share your own stories and thoughts.

Best,
    DDRRE
    Last edited by DDRRE; 10-17-2021, 11:35 PM.
    Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
    "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
    Facebook | LinkedIn

Here's an open letter I wrote a year ago following the $1.6B Epic raised, hoping to at least get UT3 re-released with inspiration from a Community Edition package I spent a lot of time on:

Dear Epic Games, creators of Unreal Tournament and Fortnite:
    A Letter to Epic's Finest Megagamers

Congrats on the successful $1.6B funding round! Hope the community and myself will get to join you in rejoicing around good-old UT, without the next-gen philosophies but in glorious 4K120Hz.
    Or, at least - the "Community Edition" I built for UT3, I guess?

I just miss those inspirational moments. Here's a story on my first clan battle (back in UT99, 12 years old), where the captain said on TeamSay that I'd be a QB. Now, I only knew what D(efense) and A(ttack) meant in team chat.
    When I asked what that was, he didn't call me a n00b, and simply explained that I'll be quarterbacking the game. That helped me shape my consciousness today, the strategy to see the whole picture (Translocator) and act freely based on my instincts (EAX effects) and skill (spamming a stylized "Enemy Flag Carrier is HERE" message with the location).

Playing UT with people from my region and worldwide (lags actually make you more friendly sometimes, especially on a huge-map server with StrangeLove Redeemers you can coast on in third-person, in the middle of the night), and the healthy communications with BeyondUnreal folks on their weekly, long (300ms) distance CTF/Jailbreak game gatherings - even helped shape how I read posts on Facebook today. And this started over 18 years ago. UT2003 and 2004 were amazing, and UT3 was solid as UT99 was as far as the actual core gameplay and thrill goes. Titanfall 2 is the runner-up, by the way.

Some of these games even make me recall the great times I had with friends at LAN parties. Just us, no one else, no time constraints and no clouds. Or LAN vs LAN which is even better. And it sometimes makes me want to connect my world and everyone in it again, with my love and passion for this game series and those glorious LAN parties. Great times. Great people with good intentions and godlike skills - make the best families to be part of. Or at least join their Quakenet channel with your favorite mIRC script.

All the best, and hoping I'll get to see the below on an actual screen running the next Unreal Tournament someday and have it as impactful as playing Tyrian and OMF:2097 for the first time.
    "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
    Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

Some random images...

Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

Working...
      X