X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeyondUnreal Podcast #17

BU thread about FragBU:
    http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=202951
    Last edited by TheWhiteDragon; 09-22-2014, 11:31 AM.
    BeyondUnreal Podcast
    r/UnrealTournament Moderator

Sorry for the delay. It is still processing, but you should be able to watch on most platforms now.
    BeyondUnreal Podcast

Comment

Removed...
      Last edited by chumb0; 09-24-2014, 10:10 AM.
      http://www.twitch.tv/chumbo_

Comment

I hope it is okay that I leave little constructive feedback here.

I usually look forward to these casts, but they are a bit tedious to sit through. Today, I stopped after about twelve minutes, as I lost interest. There may have been an exciting second half but I wasn't interested enough to stick with it. This isn't the first time I cut the cast off early.

In my opinion, half an hour is far too long for this format every week. I suggest you either take one or more of these approaches to help spice things up:

1. Shorten the cast to no more than fifteen minutes.

2. Do the casts twice per month in lieu of weekly. Maybe you can publish on the first and third Tuesday of the month, as an example.

3. Switch to a multiple format to include a community spotlight. Since we are in development mode, this should be part of the focus. You can interview a different community developer, artist or playtester for each cast. Add in a snippet or two as the video's intro with some sort of voiceover on what topics you will hit on.

If it was me, I would go with options 2 and 3. I know that you guys have other personal and professional commitments, so extending the playdates to twice a month gives you both some breathing room to use an expanded format.
        Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Obviously not everyone is going to make it through a 30 minute podcast, but we have our reasons for making it 30 minutes. We watch the view duration and engagement statistics closely. We make it long enough to ensure everything gets covered, and it works. Our recording sessions often result in 90 minutes of audio, and I edit it down to just what is needed.

A second weekly video with community content is in the analysis stage.
          Last edited by TheWhiteDragon; 09-22-2014, 01:21 PM.
          BeyondUnreal Podcast

Comment

I honesty don't mind 30 minutes. There's alot to cover in 15 minutes and when having a conversation time quickly passes by. Plus you dont need to watch the footage, so I tend to just listen in whilst im working :>
            http://www.twitch.tv/chumbo_

Comment

Thanks, and honestly the better parts of this episode are in the second half. Advantage time, duel, and hud issues are all complicated issues.
              BeyondUnreal Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by TheWhiteDragon View Post
                Thanks, and honestly the better parts of this episode are in the second half. Advantage time, duel, and hud issues are all complicated issues.
                This is exactly why I suggested an intro that tells me what to expect in each segment. That should be simple enough a solution that has minimal impact on time or resources.

I hope you don't think I meant to be overly critical for the sake of being critical. I see much value in your service and want to see it become a staple in our community.
                Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

One of these days I'll get some graphics for a sidebar to show you what is coming up like espn does.
                  BeyondUnreal Podcast

Comment

Good point on the messages, i played a decent instagib game few days ago, and the messages were popping up like crazy, with 10 people or more on the server. I managed to get a Monsterkill (yay!) but i got distracted by the message i guess, and it wasnt even like m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-onsterkill, likes it used to be, but just bold letters; MONSTERKILL. So in a instant i lost my spree because of that particular message + other spree's were stagging up on my screen and blocked the view. Plus, i would like to know the kill status of other players, for instance on the bottom left of the screen.
                    Last edited by Mcjansen; 09-22-2014, 02:14 PM.
                    | Designer | Copywriter | Writer | Editor | Soundtrack lover | Known as 7eVeN^ since UT'99!
                    Follow me at Twitter @Mcjansen

Comment

Hm, sad to hear about the Z reset. Sort of... I wanted it to be somewhere in between "no reset" and "full reset". Keep some downwards momentum so you could feel that you were just falling.

Chime to indicate kills? Heck no! That's a terrible idea! What has been used in all UT games, and still works, is to have death screams. The fact that they're absent is why you're feeling the way you are about this. A synthetic chime doesn't help immersion at all.

"Visual clarity of the sounds"? You mean "aural clarity"?

Round-robin Duel gametype originating in UT3? Nope, it originated in Chaos UT2. Just that there you also instantly receive all weapons a la Rocket Arena.

Oh, and 30 minutes is fine. Heck, I'd be happy if it was even longer Or done more often. It's nice to listen to the discussion about all these things. The only thing that could be improved is having footage match what you're talking about.
                      Last edited by GreatEmerald; 09-22-2014, 02:47 PM.
                      Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                      My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Thank guys. Thoroughly enjoyable as usual.

I agree that the messages should be moved. The top corner like in UT99 seemed to work great for me back then and had less chance of being overlaid on critical action. Some very rewarding visual and sound is fun for the sprees though so not sure what's best there.
                        Unreal Carnage.com
                        UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx
                        UT3 Maps: DM-MCC-Hangar DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx DM-MCC-DeathFan DM-MCC-Fith and more...

Comment

****... chaos ut was soooo cool!

Comment

Great Podcast! I couldn't agree more about the messages across the hud. In short, this is currently annoying as hell and I hope to see it removed completely in the next build. It takes much longer for the brain to process a written message over a "chime". Just keep the killing spree, death messages and text messages in the upper right hand corner with a UTSmallFont (with proper color coding) and the rest of the messaging can be done via sounds.

I really wish I had a 64 bit system, because I've worked with HUD's in UnrealScript in the past and could easily make this happen in c++

Comment

The duel points are interesting. At the end of the day nothing has really ever been tried with duel, it simply uses whatever the rest of the game does and this is why it is has always been somewhat broken in ut. Players seem to accept armor/health sets/spawn times that ship with games and never try to change them. ut99 is essentially a two item game and the bigger item gets lots to pressure the lesser item due to the 55/27 second spawns as well as stacking dynamics. This is the short version as to why it is broken. The duel hard line players will argue otherwise of course but nothing else really drives player interaction. You can deny other pickups but players will generally not try contest a mini-gun or rocket launcher.

Also the maps, tempest for duel? Compressed for duel*? Curse for duel? Overall there were some acceptable maps but there were also some really bizarre options in map pools. Even deck barely worked with the item set ut99 had. This is not really a problem with the gametype as such, more an indication of the stubbornness of the community to accept third party content or drop, or at the minimum modify terrible maps. On top of this in 2kx epic decided to take the lead from the community mappers doing 1on1 maps for ut99, which resulted in a batch of maps designed for 1on1 that did not play well at all. I hardly blame them, the 1on1 third party maps for ut99 were polished looking and appeared good AND got excellent reviews. Unfortunately they played quite poorly in general.

In the unreal world the problem goes beyond the gametype.

*The fatality games were terrible but they highlight the problem that really exists - noone has really spent time trying to make duel work, especially in the ut world. Especially 2k3..

Before changing duel drastically (adding free belts to spawn or something..) it would be really nice if epic went down a path of look at spawn times, values, stacking and how this drives the gametype. These things can be changed and heavily effect how the game plays, how in/out of control works and help prevent snowballing, allow easier comebacks that are not overly reliant on execution and other things that people are concerned about.

And then look at the same values for TDM, FFA and probably CTF. One size of numbers (armor values/ spawn times/ stacking) here does not fit all anymore, as evidenced by existing games that are great for TDM but lack lustre for duel and vice versa in other cases.

Personally I am of the opinion that the mechanics in place and how duel works is perfectly fine, it just needs heavy tweaking and good maps to work.

The one other change that keeps most of what exists in duel is hoonymode. So, so awesome.
                              Posts are about duel unless otherwise specified. ut duel shortcomings | What is timing? | dm-twentyseven

Comment

Working...
                              X