Finally! NewNet implemented

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally! NewNet implemented

I was playing in a server where I was pinging around 160 and noticed that the shots were spawning instantly without ping delay. I then went to a server that had some bots in it which I had over 350 ping and realized that I was able to hit dead on target without having to compensate my ping. With this NewNet system I'm able to pull some air-headshots a lot easier and it feels pretty accurate. Testing around for a while I got to test the other weapons and they all feel accurate as well and was able to get some nifty frags on low ping players that showed up later on.

One of the problems I noticed was that after a few minutes I would start skipping and my jumps and dodges felt like they had a ping delay. Well, I'm pretty sure this will be fixed soon enough anyway, and I'm waiting on the next release to give it another test run.

Good job to the Devs and thank you for working on a new UT.

Indeed, this system is much better than the one we had by default in every UT game before. It's not as accurate for hitscan weapons as UT99's NewNet though.
    Also it only compensates up to 160 ping, so if you have more than that you are going to have to lead your shots a little bit.

Comment

Yeah, SteveNet seems to be working pretty good. Was definitely having an easier time with hitscan last night.
      Unreal Carnage.com
      UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx
      UT3 Maps: DM-MCC-Hangar DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx DM-MCC-DeathFan DM-MCC-Fith and more...

Comment

Has anyone else been noticing shots killing that clearly werent a hit? I was playing instagib on a server yesterday with around a 120ms ping, more than a couple of times, my shots were fired and landed behind the opponent, but they still died. I dont think it wasnt any sort of correction, my shot was just off, it should not have been a kill but they died. It felt a lot like UT99 ZP.
        PayBack
        Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
        Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
        UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
        UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
          Has anyone else been noticing shots killing that clearly werent a hit? I was playing instagib on a server yesterday with around a 120ms ping, more than a couple of times, my shots were fired and landed behind the opponent, but they still died. I dont think it wasnt any sort of correction, my shot was just off, it should not have been a kill but they died. It felt a lot like UT99 ZP.
          It goes both ways actually. You get either clear hits that dont reg or like you said. I dont think servers are more laggy, but they sure fell that way. I also notice its quite hard to do wall dodges after a normal dodge. I didnt have that before (i always have single walldodge disabled). So i just guess that atm when i do a dodge the server doesnt deem me close enough to the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Spitfire! View Post
            It goes both ways actually. You get either clear hits that dont reg or like you said. I dont think servers are more laggy, but they sure fell that way. I also notice its quite hard to do wall dodges after a normal dodge. I didnt have that before (i always have single walldodge disabled). So i just guess that atm when i do a dodge the server doesnt deem me close enough to the wall.
            yeah it was really bad IMO. I know i aimed behind the other player and my shot landed behind the other player, but they still died. I never had this problem before.
            PayBack
            Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
            Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
            UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
            UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

This is most definitely not newnet (in a good way, at least from the 2k4 angle ). It is pretty good at predicting. There are definitely some issues but it's surprising how well it works, IMO.
              HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
              BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Im glad this system is being implemented as it widens players' choice of servers/regions to play on. Im looking forward to being able to play in other servers outside of au/nz. Keep up the good work.

Comment

is 'newnet' enabled by default, or does it require a console command to activate?

Comment

It is enabled by default. It corrects for up to 160 ping.
                    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

is that just the 31/10 build? (haven't tried it yet)

Comment

Originally posted by bacon buster View Post
                        is that just the 31/10 build? (haven't tried it yet)
                        I believe it was enabled in 10/27 by default and remains on in 10/31.

Comment

I dunno about the 160 ping limit but I've been playing on servers with more delay than that. Like that day I noticed it my ping was 350+ which rounds up to 175 ping registration and it worked perfectly. And just earlier today, I got in a server with even higher ping and it still worked just as good.

I gotta say that this system is the same approach as they did for Quake Live forcing NewNet on players. Most players don't know about it and/or what it does, so they try to compensate their shots like they do with other games without realizing why they miss so much. This system is just like the Zeroping mod in UT99 where all you do is shoot at what you see in your screen as if you were playing an offline/singleplayer game, just to summarize briefly. The only difference you will see is the delay of when the enemy player/bot gets hit since its registered after the server gets the correction from your ping delay.

Somebody mentioned that he was getting hits when shooting the enemy behind the direction he was going. I remember reading that this happens because monitors also have a delay, and lag sometimes, and your shots gets registered by what is happening inside your PC and not by what you see in the monitor. Supposely, this happens more often on electronic monitors like LCDs than on CRT monitors. I'm on a CRT monitor again and it hasn't happened on my side at all, but when I used an LCD monitor this effect happened a lot, though. Well, just wanted to explain a bit from my experience in this situation to help others understand of why it happens.

Comment

It still works higher than 160, it just only corrects for about 160 of your ping. So if you have a 200 ping, it should feel like about a 40 ping.

Comment

most LCD monitors have less than 10ms (last time I was shopping they were all 2-5ms) delay which is too small to explain away shots that appear to be blatant misses

Comment

Working...
                              X