Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are people satisfied on the progress of the game?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are people satisfied on the progress of the game?

I haven't kept track on what's going on with the development of the game for a while.Is everyone happy where the game is headed? Just saw a recent video and they seem to be finishing up the weapons but yet how long are they going to take finish up the models. What was up with the renders of those guns? Will the gun in the game look like those CGI models. How exactly is the game going to look like since all I been hearing is conceptual ideas. They showed us a small map one of the developer made and once again looked CGI. And that was pretty much the closes thing to a complete map since the user made ones have basic texture and seem to be getting nowhere. Can we even use that concept map?

In all honesty I don't trust modders to get some of the work done. Unless there 3D artist/animator with skill it could end up with a bunch of inconsistent map and etc. Because I would be disappointed if this game didn't take advantage what the UE4 engine can do because let's face there are barely any games that properly use it.

Yes very satisfied. Be grateful you can play a game in alpha for free and watch every step of the way until the final release of the product.

If you are not satisfied with the progress of the game, check back the forums in 2016 lol
    work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

I'm pretty satisfied, although don't really like what the developers are focusing on. However I can understand what they are doing - trying to get as many systems up and running so people can work on them first, and then polishing things up. But I'd love it if they worked on movement for a bit again

Comment

Originally posted by HT View Post
        I haven't kept track on what's going on with the development of the game for a while.Is everyone happy where the game is headed? Just saw a recent video and they seem to be finishing up the weapons but yet how long are they going to take finish up the models. What was up with the renders of those guns? Will the gun in the game look like those CGI models. How exactly is the game going to look like since all I been hearing is conceptual ideas. They showed us a small map one of the developer made and once again looked CGI. And that was pretty much the closes thing to a complete map since the user made ones have basic texture and seem to be getting nowhere. Can we even use that concept map?

In all honesty I don't trust modders to get some of the work done. Unless there 3D artist/animator with skill it could end up with a bunch of inconsistent map and etc. Because I would be disappointed if this game didn't take advantage what the UE4 engine can do because let's face there are barely any games that properly use it.
        Rest assured. I think you severely underestimate the capabilities of the modders in the Unreal Tournament community.

Comment

Somewhat satisfied. I like how far we've come since the earlier builds, but I'm still unhappy with the movement and lack of gametypes (yes I'm sure more gametypes will come in the future, but as of now the selection is very lackluster). Also the HUD is just eh... I like the customization to it so far but the actual positioning and design of it... nahh.
          Last edited by Specter_; 02-03-2015, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I'm not. I understand the game will take a long time, but I would have thought game-play stuff like movement and weapons would have had more progression by now and be prioritized. The hardest, most time consuming and most important things to nail down is the core gameplay of the game. UT1 Q3 etc "live" on because these things were perfected at the time. The first initial builds were more enjoyable to play to what we have currently imo. When you see threads about hats https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...p-to-make-hats! etc it doesn't fill the veins with confidence. The last 3 - 4 months I've seen no real talk or changes concerning weapons or movement either in the stream or in the game, only thing I've seen is the pulse pull which damaged the weapons even more. How long would it take to reduce the OP flak secondarys values, or lower pulse primary fire abit for the good of play testing. Would be nice to focus on getting the gameplay tight first, then focus on ways for Epic to make money later

Sorry to be a negative nelly, just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by nuxx View Post
              I'm not. I understand the game will take a long time, but I would have thought game-play stuff like movement and weapons would have had more progression by now and be prioritized. The hardest, most time consuming and most important things to nail down is the core gameplay of the game. UT1 Q3 etc "live" on because these things were perfected at the time. The first initial builds were more enjoyable to play to what we have currently imo. When you see threads about hats https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...p-to-make-hats! etc it doesn't fill the veins with confidence. The last 3 - 4 months I've seen no real talk or changes concerning weapons or movement either in the stream or in the game, only thing I've seen is the pulse pull which damaged the weapons even more. How long would it take to reduce the OP flak secondarys values, or lower pulse primary fire abit for the good of play testing. Would be nice to focus on getting the gameplay tight first, then focus on ways for Epic to make money later

100% agree. Your arguments could just as well have derived from my mouth, word by word.
              My reasons of frustrations about UT4 and Epic.
              • Movement(1) : Basic movement flawed (delayed) and not nearly finished ? If Epic or any UT4 supporter thinks yes then check Movement(2)
              • Movement(2) : What is the oppinion on Epic in terms of the movement mutator that allows wall running ? https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...6-Wall-Running -> Epic doesn't take a clear side in yes or no on this topic. Im guessing they wan't the community to decide but how can we decide if it's only being tested by a handful of players on a rare server with an even more rare mutator installed that noone has.
              • Weapon Model (hiding it) : Why can't this super simple task not be accomplished yet ?
              • Warmup Mode : This should also be simple to make as a standard feature?
              • Hitsounds : You know this feature is a basic one that many if not most players will appreciate
              • Brightskins : You know this feature is a basic one that many if not most players will appreciate
              • Free Level Editor : How many times have I been crying out for this? If making a new editor is such a big problem, why not hand out licence to those who really want to make a map but don't wanna spend 4-8 months and paying 4-8x $19 to find out that they are going to need more time to finish it (more money) or worse there is a skill curve too steep that they didnt foresee before subscribing. Please don't give me the 'you can buy one month and unsubscribe' reason. I already did that and it's not fun or motivating to trail behind everyone else in a quickly outdated engine. Not being able to cook the map your doing or testing it in updated engine version etc...
                edit: The forum post on this topic, started by another guy than me (its not just me who thinks like this on Level editor issue): https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...or-Any-Updates , 2 weeks into it, Epic still haven't replied to it.
              • Hats ( Custom Goofy Assets ) : Yes you got them, we all saw how you talked an entire episode about them. Is this the path you want UT4 to take?
              • T-Shirts on sale in Epic store : Fun and cool but you mentioned these T-shirts in more than one episode. :/
              Last edited by lo2dk; 02-03-2015, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I concur about the editor, I bought it and forgot I was subscribed so it took another 19e before I cancelled it, that's my fault but if there was some kind of trial for a week it wouldn't have happened. It's not even things like hitsounds that bug me, on a random ffa map/game stuff just flys at you from every direction and alot of the time I have no idea how I got killed, and the movement is too slow and unresponsive to dodge it/run away, the gameplay just feels like a complete random mess

Comment

I'm surprise they haven't finished with more of the weapon models and graphics in generally. They showed a couple of models which looked amazing but they were just renders. Everything they showed that looked amazing visually isn't in the game. I honestly didn't think making weapon models would take that long. I know gameplay requires a lot more effort polishing but a least do more with with game graphics. Maybe Epic doesn't want to reveal everything they did yet and only talked what the modders.

Comment

Fair point. My point was more to do with weapon functionality and movement. I don't care that much about design and how the game looks once its challenging and fun to play/hard to master. Of course good design and graphics are important for many people like yourself, I hope we get both but the way the game is going it seems epic want to appeal to the masses and not go back to the hardcore learning curve that was in the original games. This is evident from stopping headshots initially while moving, to introducing a helmet off spawn, spawn protection for what feels like 4 or 5 seconds, item timers, slow/limited movement, easy to use weapons, overpowered emp, spawn selection etc. What they're doing makes sense from a $ perspective, appeal to the masses and try to generate revenue. Alot of the older players who stuck with the games for a decade or more are going to end up dissapointed, alot are already frustrated by the forums and refuse to post because they're hugely outnumbered by newer and less experienced players ( I'm sorry if this sounds elitist, new ideas are great but when someone whos played competitively at a decent level gets shot down outnumbered 10 to 1 something is wrong ). UT3 is evidence of there prerogative, it damaged the scene in Europe badly and died quickly, UT1 still had eurocups in TDM and CTF up to that point, aswell as a thriving clan community both in nw and ig on irc, not even 5% of those players remain. Small communities are still left playing the older games, but in comparison to quake even now it's miniscule. Anyway don't mean to drag this thread off topic, I'm sure others have varying opinions and sorry for such negativity just giving my honest opinion on the direction of the game.

TLDR focus on weapon development/depth and movement responsiveness, not commercial aspects that will damage the longevity of the game
                    Last edited by nuxx; 02-03-2015, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Fair point. My point was more to do with weapon functionality and movement. I don't care that much about design and how the game looks once its challenging and fun to play/hard to master. Of course good design and graphics are important for many people like yourself, I hope we get both but the way the game is going it seems epic want to appeal to the masses and not go back to the hardcore learning curve that was in the original games. This is evident from stopping headshots initially while moving, to introducing a helmet off spawn, spawn protection for what feels like 4 or 5 seconds, item timers, slow/limited movement, easy to use weapons, overpowered emp, spawn selection etc. What they're doing makes sense from a $ perspective, appeal to the masses and try to generate revenue. Alot of the older players who stuck with the games for a decade or more are going to end up dissapointed, alot are already frustrated by the forums and refuse to post because they're hugely outnumbered by newer and less experienced players ( I'm sorry if this sounds elitist, new ideas are great but when someone whos played competitively at a decent level gets shot down outnumbered 10 to 1 something is wrong ). UT3 is evidence of there prerogative, it damaged the scene in Europe badly and died quickly, UT1 still had eurocups in TDM and CTF up to that point, aswell as a thriving clan community both in nw and ig on irc, not even 5% of those players remain. Small communities are still left playing the older games, but in comparison to quake even now it's miniscule. Anyway don't mean to drag this thread off topic, I'm sure others have varying opinions and sorry for such negativity just giving my honest opinion on the direction of the game.

TLDR focus on weapon development/depth and movement responsiveness, not commercial aspects that will damage the longevity of the game
                      Hmm yea I guess I pretty much agree, I'm just really really hopeful that everything will be fixed in due time and the game will turn out alright. I guess since I haven't been around yet for any of the other UT games' releases I still trust Epic I hope they don't betray my expectations.

Comment

Not quite following. If the game is free, and EPIC only receives royalties from subsciptions for the engine, and a slice of marketplace content that actually sells, how is $ the motivation? I would say the reverse; EPIC may have relegated this project to a non-profit status (though it will help promote the engine), while parts of the community keep advocating for things that will cost money to someone: either dev or player.
                        Any company making a product does it for profit. Mark Rein said a couple of years ago they'd never be another uT, I doubt he changed his mind out of the goodness of his heart. It's not to appease the loyal following of the franchise, the last UT game was released 7 years ago. Of course they should make money and promote UE4, it would be foolish to oppose that, my point is the focus on marketplace, hats etc seem more important than actual gameplay mechanics the last few months, things which require the most time to get right and are vital to the fun/longetivty of the game

This statement is just plain false. There are many old-school disciples actively involved. Most importantly, they tend to be active on the contribution side of things; not the complaint side.
                        Sure there are some, it's good to see. I see nobody except me from the Euro UT1 scene posting regularly at all, not a single one. UT3 killed alot of hope people have in Epic. Some of them have told me to stop wasting my time already. They're probably right and it's stupidity on my part. Saying I'm on the complaint side is just a cheap dig, I've over 200 posts here trying to contribute and offer my opinion on gameplay mechanics and what made previous fps games successful and fun to play, how many have you? I'm not a designer or artist.

Your opinion might matter. Then again, it might not.
                        I have no problem accepting or understanding that, every has their own opinion.

It might help to remember that when other game development companies release a new game, you had the grand total of ZERO input. Yet, maybe, you played the game; or, at least, tried it.
                        Reactor studios released a new fps game on early access, the community made a poll saying the rockets were overpowered. A weak later they released a patch and nuked it. Whilst it's not the same and I'm not claiming it to be, its feedback from the developers. There is very little here regarding movement or weapons and hasn't been for months but there's constant talk about hubs, marketplace ideas, hats every stream. It's important not to forget what will make or break the game and that's how fun it is to play. There's some community members taking it upon themselves to create custom movement profiles to test, and while thats great to see, know one has any idea where epic stand on it

I'm not looking to argue, just giving my opinion to what the OP asked. I'm not gonna reply anymore I gave my answer and it was a negative one but it was honest.
                        Last edited by nuxx; 02-04-2015, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Not very satisfied. It seems like the most vocal posters are more interested in developing the marketplace, silly completely unnecessary fluff like hats and patting each other on the back for a never ending succession of overpowered, map and game breaking movement mechanic suggestions/prototypes. There are several people here who just keep nagging, nattering and arguing away about the same things over and over until everyone who disagrees gets tired of arguing about it and they get their way. Meanwhile more important basic things like performance, gameplay and the netcode just seem to get worse with every build.

More is not always better. Maybe it's time to implement the K.I.S.S. rule, keep the core gameplay simple (UT99 nailed that), work on perfecting the core game and leave all the goofy, silly and overly complicated stuff for mods and mutators.

If something isn't in the core game and players really want it, someone will make a mutator or mod and everyone who wants it will use it. If that's enough of the player base it'll become the defacto standard. But if something is in the core game that players really don't like it's just going to drive them away.
                          Last edited by MoxNix; 02-04-2015, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Considering the size of the team and the large amount of work that has been done on an ever evolving new game engine all while having to ignore bull **** threads like this, yes I am very satisfied with where the game is.

Comment

YES .... YES .... and YES ! I'm already having fun playing the game (even if there're some bugs) ! Playing a new UT game, with new maps, people etc is such fun !! Thanks to epic and to all those greats mapps / modders / designers or whoever took and takes part to the game actively with positive attitude even when such "bouh, the game isn't ready yet wtfwtf, no UT99 or UT2k4 movements?!?!" threads !

Comment

Working...
                              X