How do I change the install location

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I change the install location

I mistakenly installed it on my system drive instead of the games partition. Now I need to move it to the games partition. Is there any way I could do it?

The launcher only gives two options to either uninstall or verify the game files.
    I couldn't find anything in the registry either.

Is there any way I could do this? or do I have to simply uninstall it and download the whole thing again?

You will have to uninstall, and then reinstall on your desired drive.. If you can find where you originally downloaded the laucher, you can re-run it without redownloading....other wise just re-downloadand run. Let me know if that works... I believe I have issues installing on a non system drive.

-For the last several builds I have not been able to play them on my main system. I believe the crash is caused because I have less than 3 gigs available on my system drive, and Im trying to install on a different drive (with plenty of space). If epic or someone could advise or look into the issue, I would love to get the pre-alpha up and running again.
    Last edited by JustinM; 02-26-2015, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks JustinM. I did the re-install to change the game. However I feel there should be an option to change the location like Steam does. I thought the verify option did the same thing(like steam) but that does not happen. Please confirm if this is default behavior.

Comment

tbh i'd just move the physical files from their current location to where you want them... then install UE4 again pointing to the new location, it is smart enough to only download the new and not what already exists.

Comment

hepl how do i change to a different drive

Comment

Originally posted by Jayeezy2099 View Post
            hepl how do i change to a different drive
            same problem

Comment

I formated my drive without uninstalling the game. When I started the launcher it automaticaly started downloading to a folder it created to look like the old one. Stopped this since I didnt want the game there anymore. Went into appdata local, found lots of logfiles (.txt) I opened these and changed to the new directory I wanted the game in.
              Did this work? No I must have missed a file, so now Im installing the game where I dont want it just to Uninstall the game and install it again?! WTF EPIC GAMES

Comment

Try using symbolic links for a workaround, using Junction. I use this for lots of stuff because my I don't want my SSD drives bogged with things like email database files. Proceed with caution:
                1. Make sure all Epic Games and the Launcher are not running.
                2. Check Windows Task Manager and kill any Epic processes as well - e.g. EpicGamesLauncher.exe
                3. Find the install location, the default Epic Root seems to be C:\Program Files\Epic Games
                4. Move the folder to the drive you want it in - e.g. D:\Program Files\Epic Games
                5. If you don't have the Junction tool installed - you can get it from here. Put it in a folder that the windows PATH can find.
                6. Go to the command line (CMD seems better than PowerShell in this case) and change directory to the original folder root (e.g. C:\Program Files)
                7. Create a symlink, e.g. run junction "Epic Games" "D:\Program Files\Epic Games". This will create a new "folder"called Epic Games which points to the D: drive. If you look at it in Windows Explorer there will be a little shortcut arrow on the folder showing it points somewhere else.
                8. Test that the symlink is working...
                  1. DIR "Epic Games". It should show you the files you moved to the new drive
                  2. OR just browse it in Explorer - it should feel as though nothing has changed.
                  3. The main difference is that if you browse your d: drive you'll see the folder is actually here.
                9. Run Epic. To the game launcher nothing should have changed.
                10. If for any reason you need to delete a junction run junction -d "C:\Program Files\Epic Games"

Comment

Superbeop, your reply was an excellent workaround but the way you explained it is still to complicated for most people to implement. Starting at #5 "Put it in a folder that the windows PATH can find." and on is confusing as it leaves out information that would not be common knowledge for most of those that would benefit from this workaround. If you could provide a but more detail it would be appreciated. It seems like a windows PATH could find anything if it is something you can manually browse for. Is PATH a specific behavior of windows that needs to be explained in order to perform step 5 correctly? Is it simply putting it in the file path of where you want the games to go? Do you input what is in paranthesis in step 7 into the command line? Im positive your fix works, its just a litttle confusing for someone who would be new to the use of such a fix.

Comment

if you are still looking for a way to move folders, i came across a solution yesterday. You can:
                    move your games folder out of the default location.
                    Then uninstall the game from the launcher.
                    Then reinstall the game, choose a new install location.
                    Pause the installation
                    Quite the launcher
                    go to the new install location and delete the new game folder
                    Copy your original game folder to the new location
                    Open the launcher and resume the download

this should cause it to see the files already there and verify them.

epic should really make this process much easier.
                    i hope this helps. i found this thread while i was looking for a solution myself.

Comment

You can also look into the folder C:\ProgramData\Epic\EpicGamesLauncher\Data\Manifests, there is text files (*.item) that you can open with notepad, each one contains the installation data for each installed game.

You have to close the Epic Games launcher first, then edit the path for the games that you want to change location, in these lines:
                      "ManifestLocation", "InstallLocation", "StagingLocation"

Launch the Epic Games client again, and if you made no mistake you will see your game installed.
                      You may want to install and use this free program if you have several games: it will allow you to search and replace strings easily in multiple files:
                      https://www.softpedia.com/get/File-m...ultiFind.shtml

I can say that Epic must improve their launcher, like Steam did, as it is easy now to change a game location in the Steam client.

Comment

This worked for me with Metro
                        Move your game folder for the other drive where you want to install the game.
                        Then uninstall the game from the launcher.
                        Then reinstall the game, choose a new install location. (new folder must be empty) i name it Epic Games
                        Pause the installation
                        Quite the launcher
                        Go to the new install location (Epic Games - MetroExodus - .egstore - bps - install) and copy all the game files what is inside of the old game folder (copy - paste) and replace files what the istallation has been already create there
                        After all the files has been copy start the Epic launcher and resume the installation.
                        It should read verifying 90% and after verification it should work normally.

Not very difficult.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X