Forecast of Unreal Tournament

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4F View Post
    I don't think that is correct actually regarding your comment about the irony. I think eye candy is an interference of competitiveness and ultimately a distraction. I'm glad you understood the gist of what I'm saying just somehow got the completely opposite point to what I was saying. I mean why wouldn't it? You think I want everything to be pitch black? UT3 had a futuristic feel. Perhaps that wasn't well grounded a statement. Without writing an essay, I'd say it accumulates around the textures, spectacular map designs and the announcer but it's difficult to describe other than saying that's what everything has amounted to. Which was actually an appraisal. That plus the lighter atmosphere made for better more visible play, again, my respect. But I did have an awkward time wording what Epic Games stood for as I did imagine to be jumped on by nitpickers so I went for the general approach.
    Haters are gonna hate.

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
      There is a lot of stupid stuff going on to be honest. EG i asked for help making a door open when shot "secret door" I started multiple threads after no one replied, i asked for help in multiple topics, i asked for help on irc, i asked for help on social media,

Did anyone reply? I know everyone would of read it. Ive played and tested and provided feedback, im blunt and to the point im not polite i say what i think and am always getting attacked.

I have made every single popular map from past UT's and happily shared them until i never got anything but take take take no give, 1 time i asked for help not 1 person helped and im most disappointed with Epic because i know they read my posts. I know they listen to what i have to say because what ever ive posted gets addressed and fixed sooner or later. Not 1 dev could of posted a simple fix. So now after almost a year of helping them by playtesting and reporting S> H >I>>T loads of bugs and the 1 time i asked for help i hear cricket sound.

Well now im going to do a bit of ignoring myself
      Woah slow down there. A door that opens with an event on damage is probably one of the more simple things to setup in this system. Not to derail the topic but I feel that this touches a bit on one of the more important sides of modding community that may need more attention. This is something I also observed in the UE4 side of things too.

We need working examples of more stuff and have it all available in a way that makes it super easy to find. The blueprint system makes it insanely easy for someone to step in and do things but before that can happen I feel like there needs to be a more stable foundation new modders.

A door that opens when it takes damage is something that can be done in minutes if you do it right then place it up on the net to download. Maybe there should be a blueprint request forum for people to ask for relatively simple things then have it made and placed into a database for everyone to access.

In the case of UT4 I bet it would be really helpful to have a customizable game mode template done in blueprints too. Both in the case of UE4 and UT4 there needs to be better examples of fully functional games and mods that anyone can easily pick apart.
      - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
      YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
      Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
      Twitter: @zZCastleZz

Comment

Originally posted by Castle View Post
        Woah slow down there. A door that opens with an event on damage is probably one of the more simple things to setup in this system. Not to derail the topic but I feel that this touches a bit on one of the more important sides of modding community that may need more attention. This is something I also observed in the UE4 side of things too.

We need working examples of more stuff and have it all available in a way that makes it super easy to find. The blueprint system makes it insanely easy for someone to step in and do things but before that can happen I feel like there needs to be a more stable foundation new modders.

A door that opens when it takes damage is something that can be done in minutes if you do it right then place it up on the net to download. Maybe there should be a blueprint request forum for people to ask for relatively simple things then have it made and placed into a database for everyone to access.

In the case of UT4 I bet it would be really helpful to have a customizable game mode template done in blueprints too. Both in the case of UE4 and UT4 there needs to be better examples of fully functional games and mods that anyone can easily pick apart.

Yup. This should actually be part of the launcher ideally, because anywhere else and it will just get buried (or not get enough exposure).
        Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by NeoZee View Post
          Many people that play seriously, play on the latest high-end equipment that is frequently modified for further performance gains. They are good enough that they can use the advantage of really high fps and they want to play this way in an immersive environment at a high resolution with lots of eye candy turned on.

Yeah I've always played at the highest res/settings possible while still getting high FPS. That sort of changed for awhile when bloom and other distracting **** became popular. I think there is a diversity of settings among high level players. I think one thing they all have in common though is the desire for high performance.

Comment

Woah slow down there.
            That still disregards all the work Code187 has put in and then for you to swoop in and get a tag within a few weeks!

Ive been prototyping since day one, I have code in the source (granted not much) and Ive contributed to a large amount of discussion. I dont get why Epic plays favourites.
            Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
              That still disregards all the work Code187 has put in and then for you to swoop in and get a tag within a few weeks!

Ive been prototyping since day one, I have code in the source (granted not much) and Ive contributed to a large amount of discussion. I dont get why Epic plays favourites.
              who remembers the first thread on how to disable the friend request spam in UT3? i figured out how to disable the annoyance, all i got was making brown in my pants
              X58 i7 970 4GHz HT off, GTX 1070, 144Hz 1ms, 1080p in-game res.

Comment

The Community and Epic all play favorites. Who can relate to this scenario code187 says blah everyone blah is wrong ,your a idiot, that makes no sense your a idiot etc 2 month later Hypno says the same blah everyone yes thats 100% we totally agree....

Its like they dont care what you say its who says it that determines how it goes. I redesigned the shock rifle, everyone makes fun of it. Gooba copies my design and posts it OMG thats the best!
                Last edited by code187; 05-24-2015, 01:54 AM.
                Join the community Facebook page
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

The Community and Epic all play favorites. Who can relate to this scenario code187 says blah everyone blah is wrong ,your a idiot, that makes no sense your a idiot etc 2 month later Hypno says the same blah everyone yes thats 100% we totally agree....

Its like they dont care what you say its who says it that determines how it goes. I redesigned the shock rifle, everyone makes fun of it. Gooba copies my design and posts it OMG thats the best!

Comment

Nuxx's post is the perfect example

Comment

Nuxx's post is the perfect example
                      I'm not taking the **** out of you, I agree with you, not necessarily about the people you mentioned, just in general. I meant to imply just to stick with it, sorry if you thought otherwise

Comment

I made an entire first person shooter in UE4 as a solo project. https://trello.com/b/ijQ8ETFH/project-stray

I also made 4 DM maps and have been in the community ever since it started. So maybe that had something to do with it?

Comment

I also made 4 DM maps and have been in the community ever since it started. So maybe that had something to do with it?
                          I dont think maps get you the prototyper tag, pretty sure your gamemode got you that. Code187 ported a ****load of maps and has done alot of work, even more than myself. I just dont like seeing some people getting badges and others being completely ignored, I made a gamemode and alot of of mutators that Ive released. Its not like I just sit here on the forums complaining, being negative and not contributing. Ive helped alot of people in IRC with things too and Im sure Code187 has as well. Ive seen people with badges get banned too and there is no guarantee they'll stick around in the community for the long term or even finish their prototypes.

I did a movement prototype in the first few months that largely got ignored because as soon as the cpp work started it killed all my BP work. It wasnt until more recently I could even go back to that because of the limitations of the engine itself. It would be nice if the badges actually had some value because atleast then we'd know what it takes to get one other than lucky dip.
                          Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

I dont think maps get you the prototyper tag, pretty sure your gamemode got you that. Code187 ported a ****load of maps and has done alot of work, even more than myself. I just dont like seeing some people getting badges and others being completely ignored, I made a gamemode and alot of of mutators that Ive released. Its not like I just sit here on the forums complaining, being negative and not contributing. Ive helped alot of people in IRC with things too and Im sure Code187 has as well. Ive seen people with badges get banned too and there is no guarantee they'll stick around in the community for the long term or even finish their prototypes.

I did a movement prototype in the first few months that largely got ignored because as soon as the cpp work started it killed all my BP work. It wasnt until more recently I could even go back to that because of the limitations of the engine itself. It would be nice if the badges actually had some value because atleast then we'd know what it takes to get one other than lucky dip.
                            Not sure this is an example, I have right now a fully functional game mode that I made that you can play right now that is a CS:GO style mix with capture the flag. It has a map I made for it as part of the mod right now. This game mode is in really solid shape considering the limitations right now. Its the furthest along and largest in scope game mode for UT4 right now and is already fully playable on a server I have setup right now. And by the end of the week it will likely have another map and a light class system in place.

Nobody else has got that far yet. As far as I know most other mods are still in very early stages at best.

*shrugs* What would I need to do at this point to get one? XD
                            Last edited by Castle; 05-24-2015, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I watch every stream right, have you even heard them mention me? No right... yet in fact they have spoke about me heaps of times. They never say my name its always "someone on the forums" when they say "someone" as if they do not know the name when they name drop the same people every 2 seconds its not very nice.

Comment

Well what youre doing is fairly simple, Im not trying to take away from your hard work just saying that everyones hard work should be equally recognized and someones work shouldnt be worth more than anothers. For example a lesser skilled Blueprint person might not be able to do what you or I could but that doesnt make their contribution to the community any less valuable so I believe the badges are counter productive and detrimental.

Some of us cant afford to contribute to Epic fulltime without pay, its as simple as that. I cant afford 30hrs+ to do what Id like, what I know Im capable of and more. I have other obligations and need to earn a living, I contribute what I can and honestly its hurtful to be constantly passed over for putting in the best of what you have available.

I might even remove all the badges clientside, then we are all on equal footing in my eyes.
                                Last edited by MonsOlympus; 05-24-2015, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X