Forecast of Unreal Tournament

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by code187 View Post
    I watch every stream right, have you even heard them mention me? No right... yet in fact they have spoke about me heaps of times. They never say my name its always "someone on the forums" when they say "someone" as if they do not know the name when they name drop the same people every 2 seconds its not very nice.
    I was never mentioned on the streams either as far as I know. They have a lot of things to keep track of. Honestly its not really whats important anyway. If people like your work they will check it out. This honestly reminds me of my Fallout and skyrim modding days where you notice that the community will always tend to pick people and focus very little on anyone else. At least this community is small enough where you have a chance at recognition vs those towering mazes of unrecognized souls. I always found it to be really discouraging and often sad. You aren't describing what its like just in the UT4 community as I have experienced exactly the same feelings myself in many different communities.

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
    Well what youre doing is fairly simple, Im not trying to take away from your hard work just saying that everyones hard work should be equally recognized and someones work shouldnt be worth more than anothers. For example a lesser skilled Blueprint person might not be able to do what you or I could but that doesnt make their contribution to the community any less valuable so I believe the badges are counter productive and detrimental.

Some of us cant afford to contribute to Epic fulltime without pay, its as simple as that. I cant afford 30hrs+ to do what Id like, what I know Im capable of and more. I have other obligations and need to earn a living, I contribute what I can and honestly its hurtful to be constantly passed over for putting in the best of what you have available.
    Eh it would be a lot simpler if it wasn't such a hack fest but for the most part it can be broken down into a handful of simple systems. But at that point so can almost anything. My goal isn't just to make a mod right now its also to kind of make a statement that these once complicated things can be much simpler to do on this engine. ACTF was impossible for me to do before UE4. 100% impossible, yet right now its 3 weeks in and its a fully functional tangible thing. Too me this is ****ing ridiculous! XD

This isn't just a mod, this is me getting some combat boots stomping out content to the likes that have never been seen as a solo project in the history of the FPS. This engine and toolset is a powder keg ready to blow. The statement I am making right now is blueprints aren't some neat prototyping tool its a medium for expression. A medium is not a mere feature its an entire world of potential and right now it needs attention. (And honestly not a crazy amount of attention either!)

Anyway rant aside, you are going to make yourself crazy thinking about recognition. Its the same thing I mentioned to Code187. Just keep doing what you love to do, recognition is icing on the cake.
    - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
    Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
    Twitter: @zZCastleZz

Comment

Originally posted by Castle View Post
      Eh it would be a lot simpler if it wasn't such a hack fest but for the most part it can be broken down into a handful of simple systems. But at that point so can almost anything. My goal isn't just to make a mod right now its also to kind of make a statement that these once complicated things can be much simpler to do on this engine. ACTF was impossible for me to do before UE4. 100% impossible, yet right now its 3 weeks in and its a fully functional tangible thing. Too me this is ****ing ridiculous! XD
      Yeah thats true, my gamemode is a huge hackfest, just finding when gamestate is initialized in the release build is stupid. I dont disagree its a wonderful thing but it has its drawbacks especially when cpp flattens your work, which I hope doesnt happen to you in regards to extending CTF, Ive been there but I dont think you'll see it as bad as I did with the movement component obsoleting my BP and not giving me any recourse to hook my code back up. I had to take a break after that it was just not a nice thing, I know Steve didnt do it on purpose or direct it at me but I was doing what Epic said at the time, producing movement prototypes to show off.

This isn't just a mod, this is me getting some combat boots stomping out content to the likes that have never been seen as a solo project in the history of the FPS. This engine and toolset is a powder keg ready to blow. The statement I am making right now is blueprints aren't some neat prototyping tool its a medium for expression. A medium is not a mere feature its an entire world of potential and right now it needs attention. (And honestly not a crazy amount of attention either!)
      Careful with the art, you still want to write neat code you can read at a later date to optimize and bugfix. Ive gotten caught up in the beauty before and found myself with code only I could read which is considered to be extremely poor practice. I would love to see more on the content end of things in regards to arena CTF, perhaps even some support for core CTF itself in regards to rolling changes up the tree from your mod that youre willing to give to the community at large.

Anyway rant aside, you are going to make yourself crazy thinking about recognition. Its the same thing I mentioned to Code187. Just keep doing what you love to do, recognition is icing on the cake.
      Its not about recognition, its about just being noticed and shown the respect a hard worker deserves. I do what I do largely because I feel strongly enough that I can be a positive influence on UT on a whole. I honestly dont want a badge and never did, I have always said Im here to work with one of my biggest current game industry idols Steve Polge, if I can get my name in the credits with his that would be like the ultimate. I dont need no silly strip of pixels.
      Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Careful with the art, you still want to write neat code you can read at a later date to optimize and bugfix. Ive gotten caught up in the beauty before and found myself with code only I could read which is considered to be extremely poor practice. I would love to see more on the content end of things in regards to arena CTF, perhaps even some support for core CTF itself in regards to rolling changes up the tree from your mod that youre willing to give to the community at large.
        I intend to share everything I am doing right now with ACTF. Problem with sharing stuff at the moment though is that I feel like there are too many hacks for me to feel safe to insinuate that this is the proper way to do things. :/

Comment

I intend to share everything I am doing right now with ACTF. Problem with sharing stuff at the moment though is that I feel like there are too many hacks for me to feel safe to insinuate that this is the proper way to do things. :/
          The main reason I dont want to share my Blueprints at this point is I really dont have time to answer questions regarding the code itself and support people who are copy/pastering bits and pieces. Its not because I dont want people to use it or learn from what Ive done so I might even do a tutorial when the Gamemode stuff is abit more refined, I might even do a mutator and a gamemode tutorial depending but I wouldnt hold me to that since I dont get alot of time for myself.

As I said to Vlad before that sharing is one thing and pushing to get something in the core is entirely another, we really need to put cases to Epic to get these things in if we really need them. I guess for you Joe had worked alot on loadouts so that is already in the core.
          Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

I guess for you Joe had worked alot on loadouts so that is already in the core.
            I am not using any loudout stuff in ACTF and its doubtful I will even for open world survival. I want to blend the genre with new ideas and I dont really feel that COD style loudouts keep true to Unreal Tournament. The closest I think I will get to loud outs will be what I have done in project stray where you have 8 weapons but can configure what weapon you want to use for each slot.

Comment

Moving the topic towards what would prevent my estimation through my own opinion of how UT should be finalised. The summation of my forecast predicted how the outcome of the final edition against however people think that can be changed with its pre-alpha phase will wind out. A forecast I still fully stand by as nothing yet of real argumentative worth has yet shown other than saying the game is early doors. And by nature, if no real challenge can be posted worth discussing, then it in effect proves what I'm saying. Why wouldn't it when there has been no opposition proven? Even the apparent off topic feelings of lack of appreciation fits nicely into my saying about the present archive of unused content already available for the previous Unreal Tournament editions and history waiting to repeat. Someone said my forecasts are opinion based. Whilst that is true my observations aren't made of analytical data, I only had my own experience within studying the community, game play, and personal experience with idea development. And for that very reason, because any attempts to create concrete data I don't think would be possible by:

Raidakk reiterating my point about the panel's skill level and what they say portraying their understanding. Unfortunately, honest feedback in all other cases, bad, is met with point scoring and one ups with the last say. Against people thinking I'm just saying something for the off chance I'm right. It's not to say this thread isn't developing as I intended from a devil's advocate perspective. Of course I want success, why would I be writing on here in the first place? This thread, revealing all efforts are appreciated, and that cannot, cannot be knocked. But when efforts aren't to what the standard requires yet glorified all the same, it creating this false positive effect trying to be positive about everything and we are seeing the irony of its negativity unfold post after post. Because;

A) As we also revealed, how quickly people set off and direct against criticism purely from the disgust.
              B) Because nobody likes having their work criticised despite it for the better unless it is without question awe-inspiring.
              C) Under the impression that good momentum will create an all-round better pace.

However the philosophy that is manipulating these people I’ve already spoke about, and it’s nothing new, nether is the outcome. It’s like undecided voters at an election, ready to hear the immediate promises of the future completely oblivious to the past. Wrong directions are being taken because so. The point made about the future being the modifications for example. I think is repeating what was said previously. Again, UT is about skill which consists largely of repetition. However the contradiction of constant changes will drive people away from the main reason they play the same map, over and over. Because they know what they like and what they like is familiarity. If however you meant the future of the Unreal Engine in general, then I definitely agree with you. But not for the game series.

I said no opposition yet qualifies as productive argument so I'll help speed this process up. In my forecast, I took into account the democracy of this social experiment and how the direction would eventually be converted into so called Next Generation gaming. As people would eventually vote for longevity believed by the idea of keeping things as fresh as possible with the concept of moving forward. If there was a way to describe the general mindset of the final product, then I believe that to be it. I'm not convinced, mainly by the majority of people that aren't speaking, but should. I think the base players, the long term gamers, want nitty gritty, simple is best. This is what will be the game’s backbone and create the community. And I do not think they are going to get that based on something that simply does not replicate the franchise's most successful endeavour released in 2004. I guess you could describe it as the difference between building and renovating. One of those factors has happened before, the same one, is happening again. And I’m being targeted for exposing it.

Comment

Originally posted by 4F View Post
                I think the base players, the long term gamers, want nitty gritty, simple is best.
                Problem. I cant think of a single super popular game right now that isnt 10 times more complicated than Doom 2, Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament 99-Ut4.

I mean hell, just look at the game play of Overwatch. That's the direction things are going and as far as I can tell everything is getting way more complex. People would cream their pants if UT4 ended up being as flashy and complex as that.

Comment

Glad someone had the courage to post what my inner being would probably never say so clearly, at least in a UT forum.

Well, here is my take on the current project as a player that has been around UT a long time, going back to the single player release of Unreal. Although this current game is only in the pre-alpha stage, the maps seem to lack atmosphere or the wow factor that maps from UT99 did so well. Please note I left out UT2004 and UT3 since I never found those games even half as gripping as the first game. Each of the maps in the current game, if not all, should have a music soundtrack and this issue is adding to the "flat" sort of presentation. The early release of this game is probably adding to the overall lack of UT spirit. We are all looking at or playing other polished games and then trying to play a pre-alpha UT (hard to do). That last patch did bring the game up a couple notches for sure to the point of play-ability. The question is do the old fans still out there want to play what is currently there? The answer could be yes and no depending on when a player joined onto the series and what they liked the most. Personally, those tight quarter type of maps are lacking, most of the maps I have seen so far are really sort of large with narrow hallways, too many slopes and stairs or elevators (all the things that would promote camping issues). Action is very sporadic or does not come half as fast as even UT2004 would have produced. I refer to the old player base because if any sort of player is going to get this thing going, it is them. And then new players may come on board. New players coming on board alone to build it up? Much harder to do against the backdrop of military shooters. Look at CSGO, all those people who played that old game seemed to go from that base game to the new one, and the rest of the players came aboard, probably half of them new ones. UT has to dig for those old players by putting favorable content in this new game.

If taking a look at other past successful franchises, like COD or BF for example, although the graphics improved with each version, the general coding and game play stayed the same. Ever heard other gamers griping about COD because it never seems to change? For better or worse, that is what kept it alive all those years. When EA decided to come out with Hardline instead of another Battlefield "war boy" game, the community had a fit and most players from BF4 never even bought it. What I am trying to say is the UT devs got away with each passing version what the original game represented, and that was the stuff that people loved, the action, the atmosphere, the intrigue, all coming together to make a great FPS experience.

I am not sure the days of UT will ever return to where they once were, but it was a great experience during that first two game span of Unreal and Unreal Tournament. It seems the only way I can return to that environment is by playing those exact games. I have not seen anything like them since that time. We see other games trying to occupy the spot UT once did, such as Toxikk, Storm United, Reflex, they all talk about how their game is "like UT," and these games are even having their own issues with early access for a charge, getting the player base going. It is great that UT4 is being offered free, that is about where my optimism sort of starts to get a little fuzzy. It is certainly a tall order to live up to UT99. I think it can be done. If the next UT strays too much from that base game, I would have to say that success is probably going to be limited indeed.

I try to pass along my insights when I can and I do not have all the answers besides: follow the first game where the masters created a masterpiece. If nobody else thinks it is good, I will be there to say it is good Seriously speaking, it is going to take some magic like that first game to bring UT back to life, after that, I think the players will come. Maybe some new game modes to jazz things up a little. Of course, if success is measured by how popular UT was in the past compared to now, naturally it is easy to be skeptical since we are probably not headed back there again. A healthy comeback, yes, I can see that much IF done right. A final thought would be adding a single player mode to make the game "serious" or not coming off as another free game to play online. UT deserves better imho. I will keep watching the game and giving whatever opinions I can. Sometimes it is much easier to say than do. Most people are still attracted to war shooters in this genre.
                  Last edited by toddisit; 05-24-2015, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkskyabove
                    This stuff is really bordering on the absurd. It's a game, people. It's a game that isn't finished. And it's free. It's starting to sound like a whole bunch of people downloaded a pre-alpha, ignored all the warnings, ignored requests for feedback & contributions, ignored the fact that they didn't pay a bloody red cent, and now have all manner of "insightful" opinions about what's wrong with it.

Not only do we have "experts" voicing their opinions as if they were established fact, we've got "philosophical" and "semantic" geniuses who can't even punctuate properly; expounding on concepts of which their words prove they have no understanding.

Pay attention to this next point very closely:

Those who try to sound educated, and aren't, make themselves blatantly obvious to those who are.

I wonder why no one from EPIC seems to respond to these juvenile threads. I feel compelled to do it from a sense of civic duty.

There are members of this forum who are trying their best to work with EPIC to make a great game. There are members who aren't sure what to do, but tread with a light step. Then there are those who want what they want, have perfected cognitive dissonance to an art form, and refuse to take no for an answer.

Flak 'em.
                    I'm glad Epic chooses the weekends to relax, instead of discussing in threads like this.
                    Pretty much agree on everything else you say. I'm sorry for being so "meta" in this thread, but the criticism or points mentioned by OP don't really provide a base on which we could discuss on. His arguments are highly assumptive, vague and painful to read to the point of even feeling trolled a bit. Repeating the terms "my forecast, my estimation" tons of times suggest to me that OP is really more interested in hearing himself talk than pushing the development of the game, but maybe that's just my paranoia.

There's really barely any content here to discuss about, but vague statements like "Players like this and that, and thats why the game MUST develop in THIS EXACT direction in order to be successful". I won't bother with quotations to underline what I'm trying to say, because it's blatantly obvious. Additionally, 4F, you're antagonizing people by categorizing them as "elites", "stubborn" and "blindsighted".

Almost all of your many statements are so encumbered with assumptions I (and many other people) don't agree with, that I don't even know where to start.

Comment

Originally posted by rawlph View Post
                      I'm glad Epic chooses the weekends to relax, instead of discussing in threads like this.
                      I third this. I dont even know whats wrong with me for doing this XD

Also nobody seems to understand that even a generic game with huge modding potential isn't going to be a generic game for very long. All of these complaints to be pointed to tutorials on how to fix the problem yourself.

Comment

This stuff is really bordering on the absurd. It's a game, people. It's a game that isn't finished. And it's free. It's starting to sound like a whole bunch of people downloaded a pre-alpha, ignored all the warnings, ignored requests for feedback & contributions, ignored the fact that they didn't pay a bloody red cent, and now have all manner of "insightful" opinions about what's wrong with it.

Not only do we have "experts" voicing their opinions as if they were established fact, we've got "philosophical" and "semantic" geniuses who can't even punctuate properly; expounding on concepts of which their words prove they have no understanding.

Those who try to sound educated, and aren't, make themselves blatantly obvious to those who are.

I wonder why no one from EPIC seems to respond to these juvenile threads. I feel compelled to do it from a sense of civic duty.

There are members of this forum who are trying their best to work with EPIC to make a great game. There are members who aren't sure what to do, but tread with a light step. Then there are those who want what they want, have perfected cognitive dissonance to an art form, and refuse to take no for an answer.

Flak 'em.
                        Just excellent. Well done.

Comment

Well, 8 months have passed since i first downloaded a build so i guess u can say theres some sort of general direction that you can see developing. And tbh i think it has actually gotten worse in terms of gameplay over that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobe` View Post
                            Well, 8 months have passed since i first downloaded a build so i guess u can say theres some sort of general direction that you can see developing. And tbh i think it has actually gotten worse in terms of gameplay over that time.
                            If you haven't downloaded a build in 8 months, how do you really know anything?

Comment

He said "first downloaded" not "last"
                              "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                              - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Flak 'em.
                                I don't like to join a discussion without having anything helpful to say, but this man deserves a medal.

Comment

Working...
                                X