Forecast of Unreal Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    213 It's abandoned because Tim Sweeney (CEO of Epic) doesn't believe competitive AFPS is an economically viable genre anymore. And whether that's true or not, he's also more interested in bastardizing the concept for a "modern" (wider, permanently unskilled) audience than actually modernizing it while preserving the core essence. These were the very first seeds of failure. Knowing this in advance, one could predict everything else that went wrong.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    After success of 'Fortnite', they are not same developers anymore. Next project will be more easy money, more BS. Even if they must finish UT, it's impossible with current mindset.

Move along... nothing to see here

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Since Fortnite BR has succeeded why hasn't development of UT4 continued? I mean it's just abandoned? Was it too toxic of a community? I kinda have a sliver of hope thinking the devs will come back and give it a little more out of good faith and respect to the community. I don't expect a finished game but.

this felt like a waste of time posting

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The thing is, fortnite or not, if Epic just would have tried instead of half assing the project as they did, UT would be more popular than Quake Champions by far. They just had to make a passable iteration and keep making incremental progress.

The bottom line is some bean counters over at shitpic megacorp decided that UT wasn't worth even a small sliver of that giant stack of of fortnite cash.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Come on let's not be sore losers about it. The truth is I was correct, UT4 was incompetent in the sense that even though Fortnite wasn't mentioned in the prediction, it was UT4's inadequacy that leads to being overtaken by Fortnite, but not just that. Like if you look at what thrives on YouTube for example, UT does require higher skill ceilings, which will prove as much success as a well-polished video on YouTube as say, the click-baity short unedited videos that have lots of exclamations. It's apparently what makes money, it is what people want. I can't think of a better thread than to evaluate the failure then here.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I predict the game will be successful. And you will rage quit any server with half decent players if you even try it. "Analyst".

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah that tracks. UT4 was on a strong, high-speed trajectory toward a wildly successful release for years before Fortnite BR pulled the rug from its well-oiled R&D machine, and the community that was supposed to develop it was getting plenty of support and inclusion in order to actually generate technical progress.

Had Fortnite never happened, at best we could have expected maybe 4 to 6 more releases up to this point, each one managing to **** up what does work a little more and none of them putting a lick of effort into the technology and subsystems that need it most.

The best I could have hoped for was the rug getting pulled about 2 to 3 disastrous releases sooner.
    Last edited by HonoredMule; 07-28-2019, 11:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DeplorableACE View Post

Comments that don't age well for 1,000 Alex.
    I mean while he was technically correct that the project was a failure, the reason that it was a failure he was all wrong about. UT4 failed because Fortnite BR succeeded at a level that no game at Epic has ever managed to achieve before. Had fortnite BR never been a thing, UT4 would be a finished game by now.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by PayBack View Post
    Your predictions are the incoherent ramblings of someone who doesnt understand UT, this project or the love people have for it.
    Comments that don't age well for 1,000 Alex.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well it was never completed to start judging if it is successful. But hey, they got fortnite out of it. So pragmatically it is successful . What UT needs is a decent official workflow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4RcDpGQ_tI with community interaction. Simple and piece of cake!
    Last edited by The-Cowboy; 07-16-2019, 04:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    A distant echo bellows down an empty hall.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by darkskyabove
    This stuff is really bordering on the absurd. It's a game, people. It's a game that isn't finished. And it's free. It's starting to sound like a whole bunch of people downloaded a pre-alpha, ignored all the warnings, ignored requests for feedback & contributions, ignored the fact that they didn't pay a bloody red cent, and now have all manner of "insightful" opinions about what's wrong with it.

Not only do we have "experts" voicing their opinions as if they were established fact, we've got "philosophical" and "semantic" geniuses who can't even punctuate properly; expounding on concepts of which their words prove they have no understanding.
    I can appreciate the point you're trying to make but people are entitled to express themselves, if negativity is a dominant topic perhaps we have to sit back and look at the cause rather than turn a blind eye and imagine everything is a world of candy canes and rainbows. I have seen this type of attitude towards games in development before, excuses like "its just beta", "its still in early access" etc are often used as excuses and then we look at the actual industry where bungled releases are all too common not just from Epics camp, UT3 SP campaign was largely unplayable on release for me until I got enlightened by an ini switch which made the cutscenes able to run on a single core machine.

When people have actual evidence as to why they feel pessimistic about the future of UT we should hear them, we might not like it but it could be to the detriment of the entire community if we constantly turn a blind eye. I remember UT3 beta being very much "its a beta", I remember UDK being very much "its a beta" but that excuse cant hold up forever, I know this project is still early on and "its a pre-alpha" can explain crashes or other issues away but it should NOT be used to explain away bad design/programming choices by Epic. We should not promote rushed features and support Epic when they hit it out of the ball park and to that end I think the negative tone from the community can be entirely warranted and can be alot more useful in making a better game for the longer term than those that blow sunshine up everyones ****

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
    He said "first downloaded" not "last"
    My bad.....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by darkskyabove
    This stuff is really bordering on the absurd. It's a game, people. It's a game that isn't finished. And it's free. It's starting to sound like a whole bunch of people downloaded a pre-alpha, ignored all the warnings, ignored requests for feedback & contributions, ignored the fact that they didn't pay a bloody red cent, and now have all manner of "insightful" opinions about what's wrong with it.

Not only do we have "experts" voicing their opinions as if they were established fact, we've got "philosophical" and "semantic" geniuses who can't even punctuate properly; expounding on concepts of which their words prove they have no understanding.

Pay attention to this next point very closely:

Those who try to sound educated, and aren't, make themselves blatantly obvious to those who are.

I wonder why no one from EPIC seems to respond to these juvenile threads. I feel compelled to do it from a sense of civic duty.

There are members of this forum who are trying their best to work with EPIC to make a great game. There are members who aren't sure what to do, but tread with a light step. Then there are those who want what they want, have perfected cognitive dissonance to an art form, and refuse to take no for an answer.

Flak 'em.
    I don't like to join a discussion without having anything helpful to say, but this man deserves a medal.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    He said "first downloaded" not "last"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X