How to launch UT from Steam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [TUTORIAL] How to launch UT from Steam

ATTENTION: Since this tutorial was posted, the exe name has been changed to UE4-Win64-Shipping.exe. All the steps are valid, but everywhere the tutorial mentions UE4-Win64-Test, you need to use UE4-Win64-Shipping.exe

I was looking for a way to launch UT from Steam so that I can SHIFT-TAB to respond to my Steam buddies, without having to alt tab, or converse on a secondary monitor. For me, steam is simply more convenient.

Bad way to add UT to Steam:

Adding the launcher directly to Steam works, but is bad because if you're like me, you keep the launcher open 24x7. This means, Steam reports you playing UT 24x7. On top of this, your friends will get constant notifications every 10-20 minutes that you're playing UT. Not Good.

Better way to add UT to Steam:

Launch game from Steam and enjoy!

Hope others find this useful.

FAQs:

Q: Can I auto login to UT when I launch UT through Steam?
    A: I am unaware of a way to do this. In other words: No.

Q: I followed the steps but it's not working.
    A: Chances are you didn't read the steps clearly. Go back and re-read the steps. The instructions are clear.

Q: I reread the steps and still cannot get it working.
    A: Record a video and show me. I'll tell you what you did wrong.

-Neil (CaptainMigraine)
    Last edited by _Lynx; 03-12-2017, 05:34 PM. Reason: added a disclaimer about exe name change
    Contact me: (Steam: Neillithan) (E-mail: neilvmoore@gmail.com)

This doesn't work for me. This is the line I have in the Target field:
    "Games\UnrealTournamentDev\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4-Win64-Test.exe" unrealtournament""

I tried various others such as
    "Games\UnrealTournamentDev\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4-Win64-Test.exe"" unrealtournament"
    "Games\UnrealTournamentDev\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4-Win64-Test.exe unrealtournament"
    Games\UnrealTournamentDev\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4-Win64-Test.exe" unrealtournament"

But it always crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by polomi View Post
      This doesn't work for me. This is the line I have in the Target field:
      "Games\UnrealTournamentDev\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4-Win64-Test.exe" unrealtournament""

I tried various others such as
      "Games\UnrealTournamentDev\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4-Win64-Test.exe"" unrealtournament"
      "Games\UnrealTournamentDev\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4-Win64-Test.exe unrealtournament"
      Games\UnrealTournamentDev\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4-Win64-Test.exe" unrealtournament"

But it always crashes.
      I believe you typed it wrong. You're not supposed to include the additional quotes. Take a look at the picture - the #2 red box. Type it exactly as seen.

Last edited by CaptainMigraine; 04-12-2015, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I have did everything the way you said and Steam shows me an error "Failed to launch Unreal Tournament". What can be wrong? Does it still work to you?

Comment

What I do is get a bat to exe converter and convert the batch file into an executable that can be imported into steam
          Originally posted by CzajnikGrozy View Post
          I have did everything the way you said and Steam shows me an error "Failed to launch Unreal Tournament". What can be wrong? Does it still work to you?

Comment

thanks it works!
            Last edited by MechanimaL; 09-22-2015, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MechanimaL View Post
              thanks it works!
              Glad to know you got it working!

Comment

this method dont work now. no UE4-Win64-Test.exe in ..\UnrealTournament\Engine\Binaries\Win64\

Comment

awesome. started playing again. last i played nov last year n it felt ****. but now it feels much better and actually enjoyable. trying to build up a community now in SA as we have a small player base. this helps a lot to create some visibility and get more players joining. really wish there was some steam integration but im sure its coming down the pipeline

Comment

That EXE file does not seem to exist with my UT installation. :/

Comment

[MENTION=290644]Jammet[/MENTION], this tutorial is quite old and exe name has been changed since then. The one you need is now called "UE4-Win64-Shipping.exe", but it's still in the same folder
                      [MENTION=7192]CaptainMigraine[/MENTION] I updated your initial post with the disclaimer about exe name change, hope you don't mind.
                      Last edited by _Lynx; 04-19-2016, 09:35 AM.
                      "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                      - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Works perfect, thanks guys.

Comment

This works...

however it still leaves you have to enter password to login (well if you leave it for a while)... as there is no remember password options..

Why can't we have a startup arg that accepts username and password... given it would be stored within steam library I'm fine with it...

And while on the subject of startup args.. any way to set screen resolution and fullscreen or windowed? I'd like a custom shortcut to startup directly in windowed mode sometimes.

And finally the epic launcher supports an option "EpicGamesLauncher.exe" -http=wininet

Its useful because then I don't get pestered to allow lsass.exe which epic have not bothered to fix properly, so outgoing/incoming connections, just to login onto the epic launcher (and even directly in UT via this startup option) require individually allowing different ip's every **** time, because allowing lsass in a firewal will permit any of effing **** to use it regardless of what process I specifically want to allow to use it (ie epic launcher/ut only)

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...esLauncher-exe
                          https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...onnect-to.html

needs sorting out already.
                          Last edited by password1lol; 06-03-2016, 06:34 AM.

Comment

It's kinda strange and im not sure if it's really related to this topic, but:

I did everything as you said.
                            Target line looks like following:
                            Code:
                            "C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UnrealTournament\UE4-Win64-Shipping.exe" unrealtournament
                            When I launch the game from Steam I get a message that it is required to have MS Visual C++ 2015 runtime.
                            When I launch the game by manually double clicking the .exe mentioned in "taget" line - MS VC++ 2015 runtime required.
                            When I launch the game from Epic launcher everything is OK and game is actually launched.

Do I selected wrong .exe file or why I get this C++ Runtime error?

@down
                            TYVM, now it works as it should!
                            Last edited by eXXtrice; 07-17-2016, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Yes, it's the wrong exe. The one you need is in UnrealTournament\Engine\Binaries\Win64\
                              "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                              - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Working...
                              X