Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a new CBP/UCMP (yes, this is a 2019 thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a new CBP/UCMP (yes, this is a 2019 thread)

I mean, I don't expect AngelHearth, Hourences or SpoonDog making a comeback but surely there is some mapper still alive around there?..

I would like to make a new map but there are so few players that I know that it will pass without pain or glory...

Maybe making a map pack can call a little more attention, also, this game needs more love...

What do you think?, I don't expect the quality of the packs mentioned in the title, I think that myself am not up to the task...

We can put a 6 months deadline, I imagine the majority of us have jobs, family, studies, etc and don't have the same free time as before...

So, someone willing to participate?..
    UnrealArgentina.com | f | t

Comment

nobody is coming here? mmm

Comment

I've posted in other forums like UTZone, BU and MapRaider as well...

Also FB and Discord...

It's sad because at least in FB and Discord there are actual people playing...

(Disco, PM)
        Last edited by Party Boy; 03-30-2019, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Hey PB, I've got to make a few maps for my old UT2k4 YARM mod and TD Vehicles pack. If I can scale them up easily enough (to accommodate UT2k4's movement speed) I could see adding them to a map pack. I've got a few ideas for maps based on UT3 ones like a VCTF version of WAR-Islander, and maybe an ONS map or two.... but of course my time is super limited these days so I'm not sure I'd be able to get anything done in 6 months.

Comment

I could contribute two ONS maps (after I reworked them a bit). And I talked with "Sedoy" who would also be willing to contribute some ONS maps.

I also think SAV1992 would contribute his DM-RF-Dm19-High-Rise/Skyscraper map to it, if someone would ask him. http://ceonss.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=833
            https://s20.postimg.org/jthlzuavx/M5400x100.png
            CEONSS: http://www.ceonss.net ; ut2004://176.57.143.200:7777 ; https://discord.gg/X4V8THM

Comment

Meowcat, we can extend the limit to one year, it's still better than nothing...

It also gives us time to polish them...

Comment

I post because someone sent me an email asking if the project is standing still, yes...

Please, if anyone is interested, post on this thread so it can gain traction...

Join this server if you like: https://discord.gg/6FaQmmD, channel: #unrealed, I'll add more channels if we come to something...

Comment

Originally posted by Party Boy
                  I would like to make a new map...I think that myself am not up to the task...
                  Well if you want to make a simple map then I think you or anyone is up to the task. It really is very easy, it just takes time.

Here is a website on how to use UnrealEd.
                  http://www.angelfire.com/apes2/linear/unrtutorial.html

Buzz3d has some good video tutorial on how to use UnrealEd for map making.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyBv...8qiyjL0YqEKwci

Also you could use an existing map just save it with a different name, then delete meshes you dont need and add meshes you do want from UnrealEds inventory.

If you need any more help just let me know.

Comment

I was referring to that I'm not at that level of quality...

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...one-for-ut2004

Comment

I am not clear what your contribution to this project idea is Party Boy.
                      If you just want people to make a bunch of new maps for you to play, this will go nowhere fast.
                      If you have a vision and plan for a project and can present it properly, then post your plan of action.

Getting a map pack made is easy.
                      You make a competition with a prize and often set a theme, then release the finished maps as a map-pack.
                      UT CBPs traditionally feature more than just a few maps. Usually they focus on a mod or theme and the maps are a showcase for whatever the new toys are.
                      It has to have a reason to exist beyond just being a random collection of maps.
                      This is why I made my suggestions in the BeyondUnreal thread.

Are we missing a trick that will get players coming back ?
                      Battle Royale is the current fave format, but UT has had Last Man Standing and King Of The Hill since it began, so I may suggest something more like Battlefield.
                      There are plenty of suitable vehicles available to get around large maps, and destroyable objectives can be done in UE2.

*cough* What about a cyber-medieval scifi horror theme suited to Chaos UT ?
                      That allows for a wide variety of map styles and sizes, and does not limit use with other mods.
                      We could add the hidden flaming sword and a Beta hoverboard to the config, so there is even some bonus Chaos content to play with.
                      Who wants a UT99 FOOD FIGHT ?

Comment

Hey PB! I still intend on participating (primarily dependent on time). By the way, I think the maps you've made are just fine from a quality standpoint, and would definitely work for the purposes of a CBP.

I might try to kick out a "foliage" static mesh pack or two (really just a sample map with the meshes and textures MyLevel embedded) for other participants to use in any UT2k4 maps they might want to construct. I've got lower triangle count versions of several of the UT3 foliage models (I also used downscaled versions of the UT3 textures).

Also, I like Dr.Flay's idea regarding themes. In general my favorite UT/2k4/3 map themes were ones like CTF-High & DM-Crane, CTF-Kosov, WAR-Islander, _N_'s VCTF-TrainCrossing (& UnShame's UT2k4 recreation), DOM-Leadworks, DOM-MetalDream, CTF-Chasm, CTF-Noxion16, and ONS-Minus. Any map(s) that I make will most likely be re-imaginings of one of these.
                        Last edited by meowcatbuf; 04-13-2019, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Flay View Post
                          I am not clear what your contribution to this project idea is Party Boy. If you just want people to make a bunch of new maps for you to play, this will go nowhere fast.
                          If you have a vision and plan for a project and can present it properly, then post your plan of action
                          Obviously we are not understanding each other, I answered you in BU...

I'm not a manager, I just want to gather a group of mappers and make a map pack, I only commit to keep track of each participant and to provide some maps to the project...

I'm going to participate too, I'm starting this very thread saying "I would like to make a new map"..

Getting a map pack made is easy.
                          You make a competition with a prize and often set a theme, then release the finished maps as a map-pack.
                          UT CBPs traditionally feature more than just a few maps. Usually they focus on a mod or theme and the maps are a showcase for whatever the new toys are.
                          It has to have a reason to exist beyond just being a random collection of maps.
                          This is why I made my suggestions in the BeyondUnreal thread.
                          No, it's not, last UCMP was made in 2007, is not easy because the good mappers (understandably) moved to other games...

There will be no money involved here, I don't know why the Quake community (for example) can produce a quality map pack in just 2 weeks just by proposing a topic (for free) and we don't...

They just propose a topic and each interested mapper only goes, sits on his computer and maps, just simple like that...

I proposed a 6 months deadline and later a ONE year deadline, I think is more than enough time for people like me who has other obligations and maps on and off...

Of course there will be playtesting and I ENCOURAGE be open to constructive criticism...

I personally don't see a theme in the aforementioned packs, they really look random to me...

Are we missing a trick that will get players coming back ?
                          Battle Royale is the current fave format, but UT has had Last Man Standing and King Of The Hill since it began, so I may suggest something more like Battlefield.
                          There are plenty of suitable vehicles available to get around large maps, and destroyable objectives can be done in UE2.
                          There is no trick, I just want to make a map pack, I don't plan to revive the community with that map pack...

I'm not planning to do a mod, already answered you this, I'm going to quote my BU post:

I just want to do a classic map pack, it's already hard to get mappers, it's harder to get mappers that know 3DS or PS... if you want to add coders to the mix, it's just too much...
                          But you know, I'm open to the suggestions of the majority, I personally don't agree on mapping for a mod, but, I agree on making a themed pack if the majority likes it that way...

BTW, I don't plan on hanging on to those map pack names, this package is going to have a new one, hopefully the first of several ones...

Originally posted by meowcatbuf View Post
                          Hey PB! I still intend on participating (primarily dependent on time). By the way, I think the maps you've made are just fine from a quality standpoint, and would definitely work for the purposes of a CBP.

I might try to kick out a "foliage" static mesh pack or two (really just a sample map with the meshes and textures MyLevel embedded) for other participants to use in any UT2k4 maps they might want to construct. I've got lower triangle count versions of several of the UT3 foliage models (I also used downscaled versions of the UT3 textures).

Also, I like Dr.Flay's idea regarding themes. In general my favorite UT/2k4/3 map themes were ones like CTF-High & DM-Crane, CTF-Kosov, WAR-Islander, _N_'s VCTF-TrainCrossing (& UnShame's UT2k4 recreation), DOM-Leadworks, DOM-MetalDream, CTF-Chasm, CTF-Noxion16, and ONS-Minus. Any map(s) that I make will most likely be re-imaginings of one of these.
                          Thanks...

That would be very helpful, my ported Quake map has such packages for that purpose, I can probably port another Quake Live map if you are interested, we would have to decide which though (I like Asylum), or I can show you how I did it the first time (I don't know how to port from UT3 or UT4, this is a thing you can show us if you like)...

And yeah, I actually tried to contact Unshame, Aberiu and Jefe with no luck...

This dude contacted me by mail and wants to participate: http://hellkeeper.net/maps.php

Then, we are:

• Party Boy (2)
                          • meowcatbuf (?)
                          • Miauz55555 (2)
                          •Sedoy (?)
                          • SAV1992? (1?)
                          • HellKeeper (1)

I think we are still far from a good number, do you think you can contact more people?..

I don't know if I'm crazy but I'm sure that the UTXMP creators had made a pack with the Unreal 2 meshes and textures, I can't find it anywhere, I'm convinced that I've read it on the BU portal...
                          Last edited by Party Boy; 04-14-2019, 01:52 AM.

Comment

I wasn't suggesting that coders are needed, only mappers and a set of cool addons or mods to showcase and inspire mapping.
                            Often it is a weapons pack, or some new vehicles, and maybe some specific player models to match. No coders are required.
                            Sometimes a theme is simply set by everyone using a shared set of textures or meshes (such as the U2 resources if you find them)

My UEd3 shared folder has a few nice things like a dynamic weather effects mod (I use the clouds and meteor showers a lot) There is also copies of SilverIbex's huge demo terrain maps. These could easily be used for something.
                            https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...lpwbWdxZi1vS1U
                            Some useful resources for converted stuff and recent mods
                            http://www.unrealcentral.com/ut-downloads/
                            http://greatemerald.eu/projects/
                            http://unreal.shaungoeppinger.com
                            https://github.com/search?q=ut2004
                            http://www.ut2004.ut-files.com

meowcatbuf Funny you mention the Train Race map, I just discovered it recently and have been adding some of your vehicles and a Puma amphibious vehicle to try make it a bit more real-world.
                            Big fan of the Minus map too, I have used it for testing many vehicles and mods. Great for monster action too.
                            Who wants a UT99 FOOD FIGHT ?

Comment

@ Dr.Flay - yeah I ended up modding UnShame's version of TrainCrossing to use my lower poly versions of UT3 models, and tried to optimize a bit (brought the file size down from 80+ Mb to just under 60Mb). Same thing with Minus, I edited a version so that it supports VCTF and tried to optimize it a bit further with lower-poly stat mesh models.

Comment

Working...
                              X