Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Tournament Identity (logos, styleguide, etc...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is my first real shot at making a logo for this game (just for fun). The idea was to make the metallic pieces look clean and new, but not polished or painted. The interior textures are meant to give off an organic appearance. These tow elemental styles intend to portray the new game, indicating the new approach to visual style of keeping the maps fairly clutter free, easy to see other players, etc., as well as relay the idea the game is homegrown within Epic and the community as a living type of project. I also wanted to retain certain visual elements of past game logos, such as the little circles inside the U shield.

Not sure if I pulled it off, but here is the product.

By the way, I'd like to see other ideas, too. I enjoy logo and brand theory, design and application, and I hope to be good at it someday. I would really like to see what others come up with.
    Last edited by Crotale; 05-15-2014, 12:51 PM.
    Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
      Here is my first real shot at making a logo for this game (just for fun). The idea was to make the metallic pieces look clean and new, but not polished or painted. The interior textures are meant to give off an organic appearance. These tow elemental styles intend to portray the new game, indicating the new approach to visual style of keeping the maps fairly clutter free, easy to see other players, etc., as well as relay the idea the game is homegrown within Epic and the community as a living type of project. I also wanted to retain certain visual elements of past game logos, such as the little circles inside the U shield.

Not sure if I pulled it off, but here is the product.

By the way, I'd like to see other ideas, too. I enjoy logo and brand theory, design and application, and I hope to be good at it someday. I would really like to see what others come up with.
      This is just my input, but I liked Unreal Tournament 3's logo that had the stylized/slanted "Ts" at the beginning and end of "Tournament". It looked less like the generic sports games logos to me. It's probably one of the few things I liked about UT3.

I also like the appearance and color choices of your logo, however I think for "Tournament" you should use the bolder, thicker font. It stands out more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	328561

EDIT: The "Ts" reminded me of the Team flags you'd sometimes see hanging down on the Red and Blue bases.
      Last edited by blOOz; 05-15-2014, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, blOOz. Someone on another forum pretty much identified the same thing about the Tournament text needing to be bolder. I initially wanted to go with the UT3 "T" but wasn't sure if it would give folks "bad vibes" or not. I will try to do up a sample with both versions for feedback and audience response. Again, thanks.
        Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, blOOz. Someone on another forum pretty much identified the same thing about the Tournament text needing to be bolder. I initially wanted to go with the UT3 "T" but wasn't sure if it would give folks "bad vibes" or not. I will try to do up a sample with both versions for feedback and audience response. Again, thanks.
          I personally like what they did with the T's myself I actually looked twice at the R you got there because its alot curvier than I remember ofcoarse there are die hards who wont like anything but the traditional Unreal U.
          Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

No problem, Crotale. Looking forward to seeing the revised version!

Comment

Thanks for those vectors Crotale, appreciated!
              Very nice WP too, have you tried to make the metal plate appear smaller? (smaller bolts, less bevel etc)
              Would be interesting to see since it might give even more focus to the text.

Comment

I am a professional graphic designer - have made a few UT related logos over the years, and will probably do one up for this title sometime soon. I've always tried to go for slightly different takes, incorporating the U logo or full font, but with other sharp designs that work around it. Here are some examples which might give you inspiration.

Mod related:

Unreal Tournament Revolution:

UTR post name-change to UT2341:

http://ut2341.com/2341-site.swf

A rough logo/wallpaper attempt in the UT3 days, I posted it in my fanart thread, your work is welcome there too Cro:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...Fanart-for-FUN!

UnrealDB.com:

Finally, I guess this somewhat counts though it didn't directly incorporate UT in the logo, it was for a UT mod and pretty much retains the sharp aesthetic associated with the Unreal brand:

Chaos III:

http://ut2341.com/chaos/III.html

I would like to give a small bit of advice to you too if that's ok Crotale, since Wowbagger already mentioned the bevel etc, and you have expressed interest in getting better at it. Try to avoid too much use of FX in general such as bevel, layer styles and so on when doing a logo. These things are suitable, but only when used minimally or subtly. Otherwise, they distract from the profile of the logo, or make it too "busy" for practical purposes.

You do have a certain polish in your work otherwise, it's just small things like getting the maximum clarity out of your images using more contrasting, and sometimes more subtle tones. Hope that helps.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Henrik, thanks for the advice. It's always welcome, of course. I re-accomplished the concept and will post to my own thread for individual feedback, but I will gladly add to your fanart thread, Henrik.

Comment

UT99 - forever !

Comment

Working...
                    X