Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TAM / FREON / 3SPN and how can it be part of Unreal Tournament!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TAM / FREON / 3SPN and how can it be part of Unreal Tournament!

Hello Everyone!

TAM, which stands for Team Arena Master, is a casual gametype, which was created by the UT2004 community, which combines the elements of Team Deathmatch with Last Man Standing.

In this gametype, there are 2 teams. Each team must win 10 rounds in order to be victorious. To win a round, a team must eliminate all opponents. If you die, you are out for the round and must wait for the next one. Each round has a 2 minute clock that counts down. When the timer reaches zero, players lose an amount of HP and Armor every 5 seconds until a victor is decided.

All players spawn with the same amount of HP and Armor unless tamdicap is enabled in which the winning team spawns with less HP and Armor than the losing team.

All players spawn with all weapons, excluding the super weapons and weapons found in Onslaught. The weapons players spawn with are as follows: Shield Gun, Assault Rifle, Bio Gun, Shock Rifle, Link Gun, Minigun, Flak Cannon, Rocket Launcher, and the Lightning Gun. Players may have all the weapons but each weapon has a limited amount of ammo and there are no pickups in the game to replenish the ammo.

The FREON Gametype is TAM + Freeze tag. If you die, you are immediately frozen. Your " Thaw " status starts at 0% and ends at 100%. Every second you gain 1%. If a teammate stands near you, you thaw faster. If more players stand near your frozen body, you thaw VERY QUICKLY.

Here is the TAM Gametype in Action:

And here is the FREON Gametype in Action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMMqIJSjzpg

All of us who play TAM / Freon would love to see this gametype in Unreal Tournament! Please make this happen!

P.S.

This video I created was made via TAM / Freon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Zv3eqWT1Q

---

EDIT:

In terms of competitiveness, 1v1 DM, TDM and CTF rule supreme.

In terms of casual gameplay, TAM works and you do get those small breaks in between rounds.

You spawn with all the weapons and can practice shooting and moving about rather than taking up a server and not readying up.

There will always be hardcore 1v1 DM, TDM, CTF, etc.

If TAM is included as a gametype, it will no doubt be one of the most popular gametypes due to how casual it is.

Being a causal gametype, it would draw in more players making UT popular. We want more players right?

This wont make the other gametypes any different. Those who want to play those gametypes will play them.

TAM should not be the focus of Unreal Tournament but it should be included.

This is all coming from someone who hosts 5 UT2004 1v1 DM Servers.

I dont host a TAM server because the best games to watch are the hardcore ones. The casual games are there to have fun, but 1v1 DM is serious business.

Last edited by Tichinde925; 05-09-2014, 01:30 AM.

All the DM Purists would have a field day with it like they did back when TAM and Freon was taking off.

I spent the remainder of my time in UT2K4 and recently attempted to pick up up again (my skills are sooooo rusty ****!PiratePete if you recognize the name) playing TAM and Freon. It's fun and fits the UT tournament style quite nicely. Of course so does DM and TDM removal of either would be silly as people love their map control gameplay. I personally enjoy the fair matched combat where they have what you have and the only victor is the one who can either get lucky shots in, ambush successfully, or simply best the opposition. There's no qualms of "Ugh I only the assault rifle and you had the shock rifle! No wonder you won!" There's no out for people to say they would of beat you if they had x y or z.

Comment

Tam has definitely always been one of my favorites I still play it to this day!

Comment

I was shouting about this in the twitch chat. TAM and 1on1 TAM taught me which weapons were best used in certain situations. You can usually still find people playing it as well. I would love to see it included as a gametype.
        Work:
        Gametypes: Lockdown
        Mutators: Moving Combos Only

Comment

most fun gametype of ut 2k4 was TAM and it is great way to learn weapons and movement through playing and spectatoring...

Comment

NI Team eliminator was probably the most succinct way to describe it, provided you knew what NI stood for. Not that you should have to describe it to any UT veterans at this point in time.

Provided the game was right for it, it could most certainly exist. I don't know what (if any) interest that the team would have in the mod, but as the franchise is known for it's custom content capabilities, it would most certainly be in the game, whether as a stock part of the game or not.

My personal feelings are that of it being a bridge for the gap of how unforgiving TDM was in 2k4. Of what I played of UT3, I didn't think it would work as well, or be as necessary (have as much demand) so it stands to reason that it would "depend on the weapons and items" in my opinion.

That said, I'm sure there are any number of design changes that could be made to form fit it to a new UT title.
            Originally posted by Mysterial
            An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Yes, TAM is a must! It's still fairly active in UT2004

Comment

Team last man standing with zero incentive to actually go around exploring the map cause of no pickups and just camp somewhere? just go play counter strike.. nah but seriously.. are you aware of the massive amount of people who hated TAM?
                Last edited by kronx; 05-08-2014, 08:41 PM.

Comment

tich. if these people could see how intimidating you are with some shades and a water gun, I'm pretty sure they'd do whatever you asked.

I KNOW I DO.

errrh...
                  http://ut99.ytmnd.com

UT2k4 hairiest *** invitational - 4th place (but voted most aesthetic) (pm for proof)

Comment

A TAM for this is definitely a must have. However, I hope that the gametypes created with in this new ut have just about an equal amount of attention. We don't want to just have a game that has lets say five gametypes but out of those five gametypes there is only one or two played much more then the rest. That just means the development of the other gametypes just go to waste. So my thought is that there should be something that makes sure every gametype developed gets pretty close to an equal amount of attention next to the others. All these gametypes should be created in a unique way. There is death match and team death match where the only difference is that there is a team going up against another team in TDM. But what else can we do to these gametypes that would make them unique in their own gametype? Idk, am I on to something or not? :P lol.

Comment

TAM has kept our organization together since it was introduced, I would only hope it would be part of a new unreal. I would also like to see new game types to freshen the atmosphere as well. Some of us have been very loyal to the unreal series since it's inception and I hope that this does not go unrecognized. It is very exciting to think that the next version of unreal would keep the movements and play action that has kept us playing UT2k4 for the last decade.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by kronx View Post
                        Team last man standing with zero incentive to actually go around exploring the map cause of no pickups and just camp somewhere?
                        To be fair, we later implemented pickups in light of this very problem, we just made a few vital mistakes: 1 - We made them optional. 2 - We made a light aspect of them "random." 3 - We named them "random."

In retrospect, I'd write them to 10 over health each, slap an over sized vile mesh on for them, and always spawn them over dd/ss/50a.
                        Originally posted by Mysterial
                        An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Originally posted by -AEnubis- View Post
                          To be fair, we later implemented pickups in light of this very problem, we just made a few vital mistakes: 1 - We made them optional. 2 - We made a light aspect of them "random." 3 - We named them "random."

In retrospect, I'd write them to 10 over health each, slap an over sized vile mesh on for them, and always spawn them over dd/ss/50a.
                          pickups that give u like 10 health? yeah i've seen them... useless
                          ... but nah don't get me wrong... most definitely include a "team last man standing" gametype... there are certainly lots of people who love it... and UT is all about having something for everybody... If i don't like tam i dont have to play tam. Tam only became kinda of personal for me because i Loved 2k4... but then tam came along and Now 2004 is NOTHING BUT TAM.... it ruined 2k4 for a lot of people... myself included... If you want to "Pub" 2k4.. Tam is your 1 and only option. If you want to play any other gametype whatsoever... you have to organize people together. (24/7 face classic rankin torland demo server doesn't count)
                          Last edited by kronx; 05-08-2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

TAM takes half the challenge of being a great UT player and hands it to you. The reason the mod was successful towards the end of 2k4's lifespan was due to a lack of teams around to play TDM, CTF, etc. It can be a great pub format for new players but the challenge of map control, power-up timing and weapon dominance are pretty much removed from the game and handed to you. The first 30 seconds of each round is nothing but spam waiting for the other team to show their face. Followed by one guy sitting around to clean up after the rest of the team has battled and are low on health. Not a true competitive mod if you ask me. It's a glorified warm-up mode. Plain and simple.

TAM/RocketArena is and always has been a mod to kill time on pub servers, not a competitive game mode. Don't try to build it up as one. Let the development focus on what matters most. Movement, power-ups, weapon balance and great map design. Everything else will grow from that. I'm not saying the mod should be ignored, but a must? Hardly.

Comment

I fully agree with medicine. TAM just gives up on too much gameplay at once. It will kill the new UT if it's push forward, because it is noob-friendly en promotes lazy and casual play too much. Sure it can be good to kill time, but shouldn't be a featured game mode as it will certainly have a negative impact on the game and what it is trying to achieve (becoming THE competitive fps).

Comment

Working...
                              X